• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Barrel Steam

sharpshooterklj

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006
I was thinking this effect could be realistically implemented. On maps that are cold or where there is precipitation taking place, gun barrels could steam after firing off a few shots. The effect is already in-game for the MG overheating, so adding it to a few guns with exposed barrels (MP40, PPSh, etc.) shouldn't be that difficult to do. It would give the guns a "hotter" feel and it would add realism.

I would rather see heat waves...

And as it stands already the MG 34 and 42 alike can, IRL take much much more abuse from shooting before they even begin to smoke...

At least over 700 rounds :D

Would be nice also to fix it so if you were not a MG gunner and you pick one up... you do not have MG gloves on..... hehehe.... And your own team should not be able to supply an ally with an enemy MG... he should have to run to an ammo supply...

Just some suggestions that have all been adressed again and again :D

Upvote 0
I'm just talking about the steam, not smoke, that come's off a gun's barrel if you shoot it while it's raining or snowing. The heat produced by just a couple of shots is enough to evaporate any water or snow that might be on the barrel. So we should be seeing our barrels steam on maps like Hedgehog, Baksan Valley, and Rakowice.

Upvote 0
Is something like this what your talking about sharpshooterklj?

Yeah just like that, the gun isn't overheated or anything but the barrel still steams quite a bit. I think making a gun steam after firing a 10 round sustained burst or something like that would be pretty cool and realistic. The steam should probably be 1/2 or 1/4 the "thickness" of the overheated MG steam also.

Upvote 0
hey sharpshooterklj

Being a reenactor, I can tell you, that both the Mosin-Nagant and the K98 really dont smoke from the barrel much, if at all (I have never noticed it). My own K98, when I have fired live rounds through it, DOES smoke when the bolt is open, the receiver pores out some smoke. Aside from LMGs like the 34 and 42 you really wouldnt 'see' alot of heat coming off of the barrel. (although, no modern owner of a 34 or 42 in their right mind would fire either to the point, you can damage the whole weapon - and if you ruin the receiver, youre SOL, as the ATF hasnt papered new ones since 1986)

Although I dont own one, I have never noticed the MP40 smoke either, perhaps because it fires only 9mm. Being a German unit, we have no access to a PPSH41 (or any of the related SMGs - Soumi31 (Finnish), PPD40 and PPS43) so I dont know about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Being a reenactor, I can tell you, that both the Mosin-Nagant and the K98 really dont smoke from the barrel much, if at all (I have never noticed it). My own K98, when I have fired live rounds through it, DOES smoke when the bolt is open, the receiver pores out some smoke.

You correct when it comes to bolt action rifles, but the video link that I posted above shows that the SMG's are another story.

Mostly this topic is referring to the SMG's versus the other weapons, but seeing a little smoke in the 1st person reloading animation for the bolt actions would be cool too.

Upvote 0
off topic:

I'd rather have Anchor Steam (if you don't get it...*sigh* )

I know many Steams
steamupdateob5.gif

steamloller.gif

Upvote 0
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/member.php?u=5833
user_offline.gif
*vbmenu_register("postmenu_277145", true)
Yes so was I...heh I suppose I wasnt clear on that.

Our commander owns a 'Class III' full auto MP40. (yes legally!). The ammount of smoke depends on a number of factors. I rarely use it in our museum 'battles' as I am a lowly pzg, but even when live rounds have been fired through it (obviously not at museum battles!) it only smokes after, repeated firing - IE, several magazines.

So, perhaps, in game, the MP40 should start to smoke -

a) when the chamber is open
b) after repeated, constant fire

Upvote 0