• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

I haven't checked these forums too much in the past few weeks due to my class and work schedule, but I'll try to answer all questions pertaining to the MP40.

Where on earth would you get something like that?! Don't you need a class 3?

I posted a "wanted to buy" ad on www.sturmgewehr.com and had a response within two days from a dealer in PA for a very reasonable price. I paid for it around Halloween and it took until January 3rd for the paperwork to get approved. I took possession on Jan. 5th.

class 3 is a dealer thing... there is no special license required to own full auto... just a deep wallet and a class 3 dealer to do the transfer

This is precisely correct. A "Class III" is a class of Special Occupational Taxpayer (or SOT) status that applies to people who wish to deal in NFA firearms. Basically, to be a dealer of NFA firearms (machine guns, short barreled firearms, etc) you have to have a standard dealer's FFL (called a type 01, not a Class I), and be a Class III SOT.

Um No,
You have to have the license to own a FA weapon which involves a tax fee. This has nothing to do with a dealership. Each individual that wants a FA weapon will have to deal with this nonsense. ALso, local LEO will have to also sign off that you are not a nutjob before BATF will issue you the license.

This is, in most respects, completely wrong. First let me clarify that there is absolutely no license required to purchase or own an NFA firearm as an individual. None whatsoever. Period.

What happens is, when you find a live NFA firearm you want you submit an ATF Form 4 in duplicate. This form includes information on the seller, the buyer, and the firearm itself. If you're registering the gun to an individual, each copy must be signed by your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) and have a passport-quality photograph attached. Additionally, you must supply duplicate copies of FBI fingerprint cards and a $200 check with the application. Interestingly, if you're registering the gun to a corporation, you can forego all three requirements and just mail the applications in along with the check, but that's another story.

Then the ATF/NFA/FBI does their background checks and deposits your transfer tax check. If all is well they approve the application by signing it, dating it, and attaching a physical stamp (much like you'd put on an envelope) to it.

The approved application is then returned to the seller who then gives the gun and the approved Form 4 to the buyer as soon as possible. The Form 4 is what constitutes your proof of legal ownership. A copy of it must accompany the gun any time you wish to take it out with you, as without proof of legal ownership you're up the proverbial creek.

The above scenario is correct for an in-state transfer. It gets a little muddier when you go interstate, but for our purposes that explanation will do. But to clarify again, there is no license required to privately own a legally registered NFA firearm.

After that hurdle you will be introduced to the price of FA stuff and realize you can't afford anything. Maybe a Sten Mk II IF you sell your car.

Actually, as outlined above, the very first thing you do is pay the seller for the gun. After that he'll start the transfer paperwork. If you, for some reason, fail the background check and your transfer is denied... well, you'd better hope your seller is reputable and will return your money.

However, NFA firearms are expensive. More on that later.

Than after you get your Sten you will realize that there is no place that will let you shoot it full auto anway so you wasted your money and time.

Several local ranges here in MI allow legally-registered full auto firearms so long as you have the paperwork to show proof of ownership. And, as I mentioned, you'd better have that paperwork with you anyway. Additionally, I'm fortunate to have access to a 110-acre gravel pit on private land.

IOW, anyone with a legal FA weapons is either a super Rich SOB or has an illegal weapon.

I find this statement both funny and somewhat insulting at the same time. First off "anyone with a legal FA weapon... has an illegal weapon." Proofread. Proofread. Proofread.

Secondly, I am the lawful owner of a legally registered and transferrable fully-automatic firearm. I am not a "super rich SOB." Truth is, I sold the matching K43 sniper rifle I posted earlier in this thread to buy the MP40 and did so with money to spare. Additionally, I have a legally-registered MP43/1 in the paperworks and paid for as well. How did I manage? I sold 5 all matching K98's, a G98/40, and an excellent condition G41 in addition to securing a five-figure loan from my bank. As it stands, I'm budgeted to pay off the MP43/1 by this fall if I pretty much put every spare dime I make for the next 8 months into it. No going out to eat, no new computer parts, no new guns, no new ammo, no nothing.

So please don't sit there and assume I'm some rich SOB with unlimited funds to piss away as I please. I work extremely hard for my toys, but that's part of what makes them that much more enjoyable.

This is my beef with the BS Unconstitutional laws regarding FA ownership in this country in that ONLY the super rich are afforded that privilage. Total BS if you ask me. :mad:

Unconstitutional, yes. That's one of the few points I'll agree with you on. However, the price of NFA firearms is a simple matter of supply and demand. The 1986 ban on new machine gun registration created a situation where there is an absolute finite supply of legal machine guns. Given the unlimited demand from people like you and me, well... simple economics takes over from there.

the reason for the high cost is low availability

a full auto firearm only becomes available when the current owner wishes to transfer it... considering what is here now and legal is all that there ever will be until some people with a pair of balls get into the right positions in government to lift certain bans the prices of these firearms when the owner wishes to sell them are whatever that person feels like asking for the weapon so naturally they price them at new car prices... i'd hate to think of what gewehr43 paid for his mp40

Exactly. I paid a lot for the MP40, and about double that for the MP43/1, but you and I both know these things aren't getting any cheaper. It broke my heart to sell all those nice K98's and other items, but I knew that if I didn't act soon it would just get harder and harder to afford these firearms in the future. So, I sacrificed a few rifles, put myself in a bit of debt and bit the bullet so to speak. But in a few months when all is said and done I'll be the very happy owner of two MG's (one of which - the 43/1 - is my holy grail gun) and I don't think I'll be losing too much sleep over the lost 98's and G41.

yeah my tax return is going to rifles to...

Mine's getting dumped into my MP43 loan. :)

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread in the near future to answer any questions that might pop up, but I'm going to be nose-down in a lot of books over the next few days. :(

Upvote 0
Gewehr, you have restored the hope I have that one day I'll be able to own a full auto. It'll be several years off, granted, and will cost a megaton by the time I am actually able to do it, but holy hellsbells, if it doesn't actually involve a owning a yearly maintained expensive license, it's still doable.

*goes to sleep with happy dreams of range trips with PPShs and DPs*

Upvote 0
hehe, glad I could be of help.

The paperwork is a daunting task at first, and I made a few newbie mistakes here and there, but in the end, it's worthwhile. If for nothing other than the investment value. :)

The only people that pay yearly are people who wish to renew their SOT status. I believe all SOT's are due yearly in July and I think a Class III license is something like $500/year. But the private owner doesn't pay anything aside from the cost of the gun and the $200 NFA tax, which are both one-time costs.

The guy I bought the MP43/1 from has owned the gun for 35 years, bought it for about $300, and hasn't spent a dime on it since.

Upvote 0
Well you all should not get your hopes up too much at getting a FA.

Simple fact of the matter is that there are only so many legally transferable FA guns in the U.S. and they are pushing 50+ years old so their numbers are decrasing due to age. Mind you that they are getting worn out and so expensive to buy that you have to be rich to get one.

And mind you that is exactly what the BATFE wants to see happen. Just wait until Hillary gets in office and she make it illegal to import MG parts kits for spare parts. That will kill FA ownership even more.

The tax is not that big a deal, and I never said it was. What I was talking about is the cost of the guns themselves. Look at literally selling your car to own one in other words. When I posted that you had to be rich I was not joking. There are only so many FAs to go around and only the people with the money will get them. This is my main beef in that FA is essentially out of reach of your average american because our Govt has made it them unimportable way back when.

FA has literally become a status symbol for the well too do. Does that mean that your average Joe can't own one? No, not at all but it does mean two things. 1)You will literally pay over $3000 for a $30 Sten because of this and 2)Since there are not enough FAs to go around, not all of us can own one even if we did did have the money. Just food for thought.

BTW Gewehr43, pleas feel free to check my spelling. Thanks.

Upvote 0
But we must be ready for the zombocalypse, clearly the governments can see this!

I totally agree that saying 'no more full auto!' is total bull****. But the system we currently have in place still allows you to own one. It's like a fancy european sports car or something. While I have no desire to own a Ferrarri or what not (well, ok, it WOULD be cool, but only on someone else's dime :p), I *do* have the desire to own something full auto. But just like that Ferrarri, it's not something I expect to own at the age of 22. I know full well it may cost upwards of five or six thousand dollars for the gun itself, hell even over 10 for some, but it's still a goal I'm going to work towards.

If there was a mandatory yearly upkeep of 500 bucks or whatever just to own a full auto, though, that would go right out the window. It would be kinda like they charged everyone who bought a Ferrarri 500 a bucks a year just for the hell of it, or every old couple who successfully sold their home and bought an RV to travel around in or whatnot.

Upvote 0
Tak, the big difference being that Ferraris are still being imported. Civilian transferable MGs however are not. And have not been imported or made here since what? The 1930s?

The few remaining legal MGs in America are wearing out and the ones that do still work are tracked by the BATFE via it's owners and this is exactly the kind of stuff Jefferson warned us about.

Point being that if the 2nd Amendment were trully still in force, those $3000 Stens would still cost $30, still be imported or manufactured here and any law abiding American could buy and own one. That is the way it should be.

Upvote 0
It's not about importation. Afterall, it's illegal to import even semi-auto AKs, but companies build partly American made rifles using imported parts kits. It's all about registration. If people could still register machine gun receivers. We could build copies of non-importable firearms like they do with semi AKs.

By the way, it's both parties. Don't bring in politics. This is the last thread I want to get locked because of political discussion.

Reagan signed the law that banned all future (post 1986) machine gun registration.

Bush signed the 1989 "assault weapon" ban. Which expanded and used the ATF's power, granted by the '68 gun control act, to prevent the importation of anything they deemed a "non-sporting firearm."

Besides, when it comes to firearms, we have far more enemies outside the United States than we do within. If the UN has it's way. It won't matter what the U.S. government does. They'll make sure their are no surplus weapons or ammunition for us to import.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And yet people still say 'why do you need ANOTHER ONE?' when I mention the next milsurp I've got my eye on. Eggads!

I think people in this thread in particular understand the issue. I'm just waiting for people to start shooting back more and more frequently so that politicians will either a) hurry up and start the 2nd civil war because they try to disarm everyone or b) wake the hell up.

People I know who would have never thought they wanted a gun are having a tough time deciding which one to buy once they're shown how safe a properly handled firearm is, and start to understand how quickly the 2nd amendment is getting used as toilet paper. You know this and I know this, it still doesn't change the fact that I want to one day own a full auto ;)

Upvote 0
Those kits need to have a certain amount of "american" parts to remain legal IIRC.

That's what I said, you can't import a totally foreign made rifle if it is deemed "non-sporting" by the ATF. Importers simply import parts kits (which are usually everything except the receiver) and replace the needed number of parts to make it an "American made" rifle.

The Yugo AK's that are for sale now have very few Yugo made parts. Even the barrels are US made.

Upvote 0
Just picked up a Finnish M91 at an antique store for 145 dollars :). Izhesvk imperial markings dated 1897 with SA marking.

finm91.jpg

recievertopview.jpg

recieverleftview.jpg

Upvote 0
I am sorry but selling an all matching K43 sniper setup for an FA MP40 is just madness in my opinion. You're losing a valuable and quite rare weapon for what is essentially a cheaply produced piece of ****.

No doubt they're a hoot to fire but I know what I'd rather have permanently in my collection.

the reason for the high cost is low availability

a full auto firearm only becomes available when the current owner wishes to transfer it... considering what is here now and legal is all that there ever will be until some people with a pair of balls get into the right positions in government to lift certain bans the prices of these firearms when the owner wishes to sell them are whatever that person feels like asking for the weapon so naturally they price them at new car prices... i'd hate to think of what gewehr43 paid for his mp40

if it were up to me i would make it easier for law abiding citizens to own fully automatic weapons if they so desire... keep a tax in place for registering such a firearm but maybe lower it a bit... use the tax to fund youth firearm safety programs (screw funding the BATFE)

keep this thread on track...

no new additions but some new pics of my rifles
Man looking at your pics reminds me how much I need to get one of those WW1 pattern bayonets for my SMLE. So iconic it is the SMLE with the sword bayonet on the end.

Oddly enough I have an original No.5 bayonet but no No.5 carbine to put it on lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0