• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Machine guns with optics

JuhaMi

Jan 2, 2007
Finland
www.myspace.com
How would it affect the game if there were optics in the machine guns (maybe only for some maps).
I think the main reason for the optics are, to keep the gunners head lower :).
That would be a good thing for machine gunners, because they draw so much attention with their tracers.
But I have only found optics (mgz40) for German machine gun :D so that would be a little bit too unfair. Anyone knows were there optics for dp-28 ?
Here is a link for pictures: (at the middle of the pages)

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=34139&start=315&sid=8bbe9a4583296d78c0e40831f7ff3169

Last edited:
There is no HMG-style (tripod) used MG:s in game, so optics are kind of useles. I think that optics were not that common with bipods if used at all. They were mostly used with tripod deployed MG34s and MG42s. And as you see in picture, optics are attached to tripod, not on gun itself.

I am not aware of optics ever used in DP-27. There most certainly does not exist optics for it. They did not use optics even in tank DP:s.

Upvote 0
German tripods were designed to physically limit the elevation and traverse of the mounted MG. They were used in fixed defensive positions to create a swept field-of-fire at a specific height above ground. The optics allowed them to be mounted at the edge of trenches with the gun crew firing and servicing the weapon from below. I know the heavy tripod for the US M1917 water-cooled MG had similar capabilities for limiting elevation and traverse as did one or two Japanese MGs, but I'm not sure about other MG tripods used by the various nations. As far as I'm aware only the Germans used magnified optics, although I've seen photos of a periscope type sight used by the Japanese.

When used by experienced gun teams a tripod mounted MG was something like 3-4 times as effective as one used from the bipod. The Mg.34 in particular was an extremely accurate gun (oddly enough, this can actually be a drawback in a suppressive-fire weapon). The ability of the crew to accurately engage approaching enemy forces without exposing themselves to return fire was a decided advantage in a fixed defense.

Still, you lose a lot of flexibility and mobility using that kind of setup. Enough that the utility of the optical sight and tripod can easily become liability.

Upvote 0
Id rather see "Mouse roll down to duck behind MG" option... rather than spending time on optics...

Duck behind the MG and reload as well...

3 modes:
1) Iron sight (head slightly exposed)
2) Heads up (looking over MG to follow tracers and spot targets)
3) Heads down (duck behind MG without the need of unemploy the weapon)

Fixed MG positions would be nice in Pillboxes and trenches on certain long range maps... And yes its, its tru... tripods enhance accuracy ALOT and increases effectivity, volume of fire and accuracy at longer ranges (Source Close combat)

Upvote 0
Yes, it seems those were used only with tripods.
I liked to see couple of those in action at some heavily armed stronghold, maybe in a MOD ;).

They CAN only be used with the tripod, for the optic is attached to the tripod, not the MG.

I would *love* to see a game where a 2nd-Gunner class would have a tripod in his inventory and could set it up on flat locations offering enough space. Although seeing as how RO is rather fast paced I don't know if it was worth the effort here.

Upvote 0