• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design The winter revenge.... [Preview]

OK, here I begin my nitpicking. :)
Русская армия
Немецкая армия / or if you wanted to say "germans" without "army", then "Немцы"
Немецкие войска

You have "мина" written all over the place. This means "mine", not plural. Should say "мины"
Then Pavlov's prospect is Павловский проспект. Also, please tell, what did you want to say with "Житомир карта"? Is it "Zhitomir's map/Map of Zhitomir" or just "Zhitomir map"? If first, then write "Карта Житомира"
Also, not "Киев проспект" but "Киевский проспект".
But all in all - looking good. :)

PS I hope you can read cyrillic on your PC..

when I saw map in 1st post, I had same reaction :)
But seen your post I see im too late

Upvote 0
when I saw map in 1st post, I had same reaction :)
But seen your post I see im too late

Another guy who don't know Sergey Vratikov.

Wellicht is het beter om het in het Nederlands te doen.
Lijkt me een strak plan. Geen problemen met de spelling
en geen commentaar van Russen,Duitsers en overige betweters.

De groeten

Drecks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those are both Tochiri's maps. So perhaps the rule should be, if you want your map to be played most, be Tochiri. :)

Actually, the "secret" is balanced play... Providing a map with obvious bias, in either direction, soon puts that map to rest in peace (RIP). I cannot begin to describe the amount of effort that went into Zhitomir and previously Lazur by Drecks to ensure balanced play. Truly, its a major key to a successful map.

Tochiri's maps offer, among other positives, balanced play.. its up the the player skills to decide the "winners" not the built-in map bias. Once I discover through player comments and my own experiences that a map has severe built-in bias, it becomes history on our servers. Usually though, when the observations of bias are pointed out to the mapper, its either modified or explained away. If its explained away and the players on our servers are still unhappy with the map... it gets binned.

There are far too many "good to great" maps out there to fuss over a few wacky, biased maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm aware now that i mispelled the Russian. So the next one who
wants to rub it in. Go ahead have your minute of RO Elite fame.
RO could use some more Elite Sideline troops.
Who comment much but add less.

@ Mike

As the creator it hurts to say it but Lazur is far from balanced. The problem is any
time testplays are announced hardly no one come to play.
So one has to figure out all problems by them self. Even beta release didn't help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

@ Mike

As the creator it hurts to say it but Lazur is far from balanced. The problem is any
time testplays are announced hardly no one come to play.
So one has to figure out all problems by them self. Even beta release didn't help.

Drecks,

I have yet to have ONE player complaint about balance in *any* of your maps... even Wateverovko plays well. :)

Upvote 0
Seriously, Drecks, I only wanted to help you out. I wouldn't bother explaining how to spell correctly russian words to some lousy mapper with a lame map. You aren't like that, you make good maps, good in all aspects. So I decided to point at these things, to make number of issues less. Too bad that you saw my intentions from different angle.. :(

Upvote 0
Seriously, Drecks, I only wanted to help you out. I wouldn't bother explaining how to spell correctly russian words to some lousy mapper with a lame map. You aren't like that, you make good maps, good in all aspects. So I decided to point at these things, to make number of issues less. Too bad that you saw my intentions from different angle.. :(

No offense to you here Bolt but i seem to have a certain history overhere.
Partly on my own account and my own temper.

But to often i bump in replies overhere which add nothing but to
show the posters own ego.
Post where they showed their Bookworm Eastern front
knowledge. Well i prefer Bookworm Bitsjus above that anyday.

I thought Slyk has mention it in another topic
It's style which they post these good ment advice.
Which pisses certain people.

I did understand your post and style and i didn't got it wrong
and replied with a joke you almost believed. But when the 2th guy
posted i thought here we go again. The elitlists woke up.
The 2th guys post didn' add anything.
And unfortunatly my reaction also took your post down.

So lets forget it an buried the crap. I will gladly use your
advice and knowledge of the Russian language to add the correct
lines and i will make it correct.
But i still like my Sergey Vratikov story.

Greetz Drecks

p.s. I will add a list of needed words later.

@ Jaesperson

You hit the nail on the head. Overhere foggy winterdays shows hardly any dramatic lighting.
Maybe in Scandinavia the Arora Borealis would pop up in the map but a winterday where snow
falls can't have a fancy lightning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I am glad to see another Drecks production and I also appreciate the effort you made to put in Russian language and give the map some form of context. Just because it backfired slightly with the spelling/syntax doesn't mean you need to go off on a "Grrrrr back-seat mappers!!!! WTF do they know?" trip. I'm sure you and Bolt wil nail that ****ah in no time.

There would not be much point in posting a map in this forum if the only thing you got to hear was one hundred variants on "Another great job!".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not the "Another great job" thing we need.

It's the way some people post their weird comments. It's mentioned before.

After almost 5 years of mapping for three different WW2 games i must
confess i'm changed. Maybe it's a part of getting older but i'm getting
a tad sooner in the GRRRRRRR mood.

As you could see Nestor i reacted with a joke on Bolts post.
Made a joke and went on. Then the next guy comes along claiming
He was to late and he did read it was wrong. My GRRRRR mode was ignited.

Same happens when you play a beta version just to see how it flows
and idiots starts in game with the "this suks" and "that is sjit"
style of comments without adding proper suggestions or other input later on.

I love this game and want to contribute. But custom mappers need
usefull suggestions and other input. History lessons will come later on ;-)

p.s. I love to by pass the forum censur

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gave this map a thorough playing last night and I like the apartment clearing battles very much and the courtyard area can be the scene of some great tactical play.

One point that occurred to me whilst playing this is a point that also applies to all urban infantry maps - Odessa being another very good example. It is this:

No mapper can hope to make an urban map of any size where every building is enterable. Even huge (in terms of map megabytes) maps like Leningrad have some houses that are out of bounds.

Obviously, before too long, people catch onto which buildings are enterable and where the entrances are. (Actually, I still get lost in buildings on Leningrad and have to get some kind player to come along and show me the way out :D) But it can take some time , especially if you don't play the map very often.

So my point is this - would it be possible for entrances to be marked on the OH map, or made a little more obvious (not quite signposts saying "This way n00b!" in German, Russian, English and Dutch :D, but something)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Drecks, part of getting older usually is not getting into the GRRRRR-state.
Maybe it's the other way around with you :D

Anyway, you'r my favourite mapper at the moment (ok sasquatch too but he's a clanmate, give me a break ;) ). We need some full servers to be able to give proper feedback. Me counting spawn-caparea distances is not enough :rolleyes:

Monk.

Upvote 0
Monk, i did used your advice.
Yesterday i played Beta 3 on a full Splat server.

At first i thought my latest tweaks ruined the entire gameplay for this map cause Allied got steam rolled by the Axis team.

The 2th game the Allies manage to keep the first two objectives a tad longer.
So they gained time. They lost the Krasny got it back two times but then the
Axis setup a defense once they capped Krasny.

Allies stubborn defended the park and manage to cap it back once. But again
won precious time. Then the fight for the Warehouse was real hard but we made
it and made Axis bleed their reinforcements.

The third game it seems Allies finally manage to keep the Krasny and although it
changed hands a few time they could keep it. This had a few reasons 1 st some
Axis troops already where in the Church Park so they where outnumbered in
the Krasny. 2th Allies realized in time they have to fight for the capzone
instead of laying in the street waiting for Axis.

Get in the capzone is my advice and don't lay down somewhere popping Axis.

Upvote 0