• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

Bill Gates said that Vista is more secure than any other OS ever released, what's up with that?:confused: For some reason I have a hard time believing that...
[...]
That is not true, there is software that is 100% secure - yeah I know that sounds like an antagonism, but I visited a homepage once that offered software for planes like the F16 saying that they are completly secure if you concern the definintion of secure by FBI and the other govermental organisations of the US. Anyway it is very likely that Vista is more secure than XP, but well , more could mean anything. So basically if you are happy with your current OS there is no reason not to wait for more developement.

@ Fu. Svedberg
There are some benchmarks of some programs - pleace be patient with me, I'm not on 100% right now ;) - running on Mac OS X and on XP (on a Mac) showing that Mac OS X is slower (that was mentioned on Osnews.com sometime, somewhere ;) ).
And basically I have to disagree with you. I have the feeling that Mac stuff is overpriced, it is not on par with normal PC stuff at least to what I read (so bla bla bla without sources, I know). Anyway I won't support that bastard of Jobs (finally we see the truth :D ).

PS.: Thanks to answers.com I now know what "YMMV" means. ;)

Upvote 0
I don't know about you guys, but if you want a stepping stone from Windows to Linux, I can highly recommend Ubuntu. :) It's (partially) easy to install, however, it can be pretty confusing to install it on a seperate partition w/ having any idea how the procedure works.

Once you have it installed, (in my case) all the drivers for everything you can think of is already installed! What's to do then? NOTHING!!!!

(The last "What's to do then? NOTHING!!!!" part was a result of sugar cereal...)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I finally installed Ubuntu on my desktop today and it turns out there are no drivers for the Soundblaster X-Fi cards :(
I found a press release (dated May 06) from Creative saying that they might have drivers by the 2nd quarter of 07 - wtf? Can it really take that long?

I'm kinda pissed about that - probably the last Creative card I will own.

Upvote 0
Sound has always been dodgy in Linux, at least as far as I've been tinkering with it. It's seriously one of the big things keeping Linux from breaking out anymore.

Vista is ultimately Microsoft's attempt to dominate the market by removing everything non-microsoft. Now that mac is breaking free onto other hardware, I'm thinking about picking up a mac OS. I've always wanted to tinker with one.

But with some luck, Vista will **** Microsoft like a Grand Theft Auto game in the middle of a PTA meeting.

Upvote 0
@Nimsky

Actually I was mainly thinking of Adobe programs like it or not they are more or less standard and on the photo editing side alone even if Gimp for linux is a very capable and good program it still isn't Photoshop.

@mat69
You are right about XP outpreforming OS-X (on a fresh install) here is a head to head test http://compreviews.about.com/od/general/ss/MacXP.htm
But if you read it note what remarks the author have.
And as I said this is on a fresh install. Run windows with daily normal usage for 6 months without any maintainance (except updates) and do the same with OS-X and then do the same test again ;)
And at last (yeah yeah I know i have a lot to say I'm a mac fanboi even if don't own a mac of my own (yet)). My intention was mainly OS-X vs Vista and not OS-X vs XP :)

Upvote 0
For me the debate is over , open sourced wins hands down. I understand your woes about soundcards , webcams and other hardware but that is hardly the fault of the OS if hardware mfr's wont provide kernel blobs and/or data sheets to open sourced driver dev's

Mac is great but bear in mind it is a *nix and is a close relative of linux you can install portage ( the best package manager available ) on it too ;)

If we all spit at once we'll drown em. Hardware mfr's will be forced then to support the OS of your choice as will game developers ;) with choice being the keyword not just back, forward, cancel

I also understand peoples concerns about linux being difficult to learn , this is partialy true as it can be a pig to install depending on the distro you choose ( gentoo is the hardest install but totaly worth the effort). Day to day operations in linux are easy tho and for the most part easier than windows ( /me holds up his middle finder "you paste with this" ;) ).All that said even installing becomes easy when "the penny drops" and you get a mental picture of what is happening. All of it is very well documented in wiki's , forums and man pages so you have the ablity to learn every facet of it if you wish

Upvote 0
i still have my windows install on a 20gb hdd , it never gets used anymore , the debate is with onesself as it is up to you which software you like to use

i was an m$ user for many years back to the days of dos 5.xx until 2001 when i first installed mandrake so i know both well (m$ a little better than *nix tbh)

so no i do not wish to debate which OS is best , i already know ;)

Upvote 0
Thing is, there really isn't much debate about which OS is better. From a technical standpoint, a unix or linux based system will out-perform any other (but for the sake of full disclosure, I haven't looked too closely at any mac OS since Tiger) when installed on the same hardware. Performance wise, the nixes win. A whole slew of other OSes that don't make much use in the public eye are on that same level, then comes Mac and dragging up the rear Windows. Consistantly that's how it scores out, and I highly doubt vista will change that.

What is debated though is ease of use, support base, and other factors that it's really hard to put a price point on. Like someone said a few pages back, if you're in a business environment and have mission-critical information, you want to have it set up in a way that you can cover your losses should those systems fail.

While personally I think most linux distros aren't too hard to get up and running if you do your research, most people don't want to do that research. They want to just cick buttons and not have to think about anything. So Microsoft makes a super easy installer. Most people don't want to spend a few days learning how to work Open Office or other software. They know MS Office because they use it at work, so why not just get MS Office for home? They want the easy route, because to them it is worth more than actually knowing what they're doing with the computer.

I'm by no means a microsoft fanboy, but it's a simple fact. Business want garuntess that they have their asses covered, and they simply cannot get that with most Linux distros. There are windows alternatives out there that DO offer the same amount of support, but problem is most local-yokel CEOs have never heard of them, and it's harder to find people trained with those OSes than for MS.

There was one other mostly pointless point I wanted to ramble on about, but in the midst of typing the last one I forgot it, thus I leave you with this: Pants. They're not just for wearing.

Upvote 0
I'm by no means a microsoft fanboy, but it's a simple fact. Business want garuntess that they have their asses covered, and they simply cannot get that with most Linux distros. There are windows alternatives out there that DO offer the same amount of support, but problem is most local-yokel CEOs have never heard of them, and it's harder to find people trained with those OSes than for MS.

this will change in time its inevitable

Upvote 0