• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Lan Connection - Not working

Gen.Biggunz

Jan 22, 2007
Ok i posted this under the support forums but got no response so i thought i would try here. Somebody has to know something about this.. here's what is going on.

Me and a friend have both of our pc's connected on a lan with steam in OFFLINE MODE trying to play RO but it's not connecting.. Here is the weird part, we can play ANY other multiplayer game (battlefield,Company of Heroes etc) but RO doesn't work.. Our firewalls are turned off.

When we go into the Lan game screen i can see his game running , RO detects the game but when i try to connect it says connecting to server with an IP address but nothing happens, then shortly after a steam error comes up about can't connect.. There is also no activity from the hard drive while its trying to connect so it's obviously not attempting to load anything.

Is it possible to play RO in Lan like this with steam in OFFLINE mode?

any tips or answers to this?

thanks

As far as I know, steam reqs a internet connection at least once for a game, before it will let you play on LAN in offline mode but I'll check into it.

It might be tied down that you have to auth with steam, I honestly don't know. It was one of those things that we didn't really touch so never looked into.

Upvote 0
Well here is my suggestion:
If you could release a "free" lan only sort of demo version of the game you might gain some players

Here are the reasons:
-We used hacked versions of every game we played on lans, so we could all
play. We could not play them online thou. So for example a long time ago at this lan party we played pirated BF1942. After I got home I really liked the game, but of course I could not play online, and there isnt a lanparty every time. So eventually I bought the game, and there are many other games like this. I mean you know it runs well on your computer, you know you like the gameplay but you have to buy it to play online.

So releasing a fully featured ro that is missing the online server browser components (just searches for lan servers by broadcasting to 255.255.255.255 and waiting for a response), and is restricted to lan (class C networks I believe) and runs without steam, sort of like a demo idea, would enable more players to experience this great game at lan parties. And of course if they want to play at home after the lan party, the neccessary choice of action is obvious.

THis version wouldnt require too much work, and keeping it up to date would not be necessary.

Upvote 0
I have played RO at lan parties and you have to authenticate to steam before you can play/host a game.

But yes an LAN mode without (recently flakey) steam would be a good move. Me and some buddies are attending a UK lan party in April with 1500 ppl.

I think it would be a good advert for TWI if many new ppl could trial the game for free at such events.

Upvote 0
So there is no possibillity to disabel the STEAMAUTH for declirated LAN Servers on our LANpartys :confused: -

what's going on ? every silly game suport declirated LAN Servers without internet connection why not RedOrcestra ? we just try to offer an ROTournament on your next LANPaery........:(

edit:
here the Severlog when you try to it :
Executing Class Engine.ServerCommandlet
Browse: RO-Konigsplatz.rom?Name=ROPlayer?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=G_Heer2?tea
m=1?Sex=M?game=ROGame.ROTeamGame
Collecting garbage
Purging garbage
Garbage: objects: 48803->48801; refs: 933724
Failed to load 'Class ROGame.ROTeamGame': Failed to find object 'Class ROGame.RO
TeamGame'
Failed to find object 'Class ROGame.ROTeamGame'
Failed to find object 'Class ROGame.ROTeamGame'
Game class is 'ROTeamGame'
STEAMAUTH : Steam auth system activation successful
Bringing Level RO-Konigsplatz.myLevel up for play (20) appSeconds: 40.789000...
(Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
(Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Defaulting to false
Defaulting to false
MasterServerUplink: DoUplink is False, not connecting to Epic master server
Webserver is not enabled. Set bEnabled to True in Advanced Options.
STEAMAUTH : Trip_SteamAuth::OnLogonFailure
STEAMAUTH : Trip_SteamAuth::OnBeginLogonRetry
STEAMAUTH : Trip_SteamAuth::OnLogonFailure
STEAMAUTH : Trip_SteamAuth::OnBeginLogonRetry

Upvote 0
We've been trying to Run RO at our lans for ages. Back when it was a UT Mod it was really popular (We'd run RO and Air Buc's late in the night) Recently we've had a dozen or so request from players asking for "the new" RO but unfortunaly at most our lans we don't have a internet connection . If you could give us a dedicated server that would run without a internet connection that would be awsome or even a work around. Here in Australia we're trying to intoduce the game to as many people as possible so that we can get 2 or 3 servers full everynight.

It's very annoying to play the old version an exsplain to ppl who have never played it that the "real" version is so much better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0