• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra Lite

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
Hello,
my computer is bad and slow and I could sell myself into slavery to afford a better one, but that's not the point in here. This topic is about a problem of people with a slow CPU and if you are blessed with a 84GHz Pentium-Athlon-Hybrid with fourthousand cores you don't need to answer.

Now on to the problem:

Red Orchestra runs about as fast as two Red Orchestras should run, by its graphics. Don't get me wrong. I think the game looks great, but I have to state that it runs like sh!t, at least for me.
The strange thing about that is, that it runs equally bad if the detail-settings are all on "lowest" as it does when they are all pimped to "highest". There is no difference in the frames per seconds and if there is a difference it is only marginal - about 1-5 frames per seconds.

How is that possible? I don't know, but I have a suspicion:
Its a problem with the CPU and nothing else.

If the gfx-card would struggle to keep up, the game would run faster with a lower resolution. That's not the case.
If the soundcard would be too slow, the game would run faster with reduced sound detail and with disabled EAX. That's not the case either.
What's left is RAM and the CPU and since tweaking the detail settings for environment and character textures doesn't help either, I guess that the CPU is the bottleneck.

I think the problem is the calculation of physics. Ravenshield uses hit-scan weapons while Red Orchestra has real bullet physics and what-not.
However I can't disable these to boost my performance. I can tweak the "physics-detail" and indeed I can squeeze out about 5 additional frames with it, but that's not enough.

I thought about a possible solution for low-end players:

What if there was a mutator that changes the beloved real bullet physics to hit-scan and reduces various other kinds of physics or CPU intensive calculations to a minimum. Of course this would be a big hit for the gameplay, but I would trade in the bullet physics for a playable game any day.

As I can't code anything (without an extensive script-generator as in Neverwinter Nights :eek:) I'm asking someone to try and build such a mutator for me and people with the same problem.

My computer is between the minimum system requirement and the recommended specs. I have 1.8GHz P4 with a GeForce3Ti 64MB and 512MBRam and a good soundcard, however the game runs with 1-25 frames per second, no matter how I set its details. That's not playable and although I can maneuver myself into a capzone sometimes it is out of question that I could fight like I could if only my personal skill would limit me. Its just not fun.

You know that such a mutator will make *all* players in a server have the same bullet physics ?
You also know that writing such a mutator will require *huge* amount of work?

Now, knowing that, how many servers do you think would like to run such a mutator (2.. maybe 3)?
Who wants to invest so much effort in writting a mutator wich *maybe* will run on 2-3 servers?

Upvote 0
You know that such a mutator will make *all* players in a server have the same bullet physics ?
Of course. It would be unfair if it was different if that was even possible.

You also know that writing such a mutator will require *huge* amount of work?
Why? What has to be done is to set a fixed damage value and a rate of fire. Where are the problems?

EDIT:
Judging by the number of players in totl I'd guess that those with crappy framerates could fill more than 3 servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My computer is between the minimum system requirement and the recommended specs. I have 1.8GHz P4 with a GeForce3Ti 64MB and 512MBRam and a good soundcard, however the game runs with 1-25 frames per second, no matter how I set its details. That's not playable and although I can maneuver myself into a capzone sometimes it is out of question that I could fight like I could if only my personal skill would limit me. Its just not fun.

Man, I tried running it at the workplace, p4 2.8, GFX & RAM the same as yours. 800*600, lowest settings across the board. It is horrible.

So, 1st you should upgrade your GFX card, 2nd hand GF4400 can be had for what, 20

Upvote 0
Yeah, and it will blast along on the mighty GF3.

As I said, I ran RO on that same GFX card, and 512 mb RAM with 2.8 GHz P4, and it ****ed beyond belief. Now, maybe if I just had that extra 200 MHz the game would run superbly, smoothly and just awesomely, but I'm still inclined to believe that in his particular case, if he had to upgrade just 1 component, he should go for a GFX card.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to be an party pooper , but hearing opinions here that the game needs at least a 3Ghz CPU I just had to reply.
I have a P4 2.4 Ghz overclocked to 2,8 512 MB RAM and a Radeon 9600 Pro. It may not be the fastest rig ( it sure isn't ) however I get decent framerates with rare noticable drops playing on 1024x768 or something along those likes and with almost all the settings on highest. So yeah I seriously doubt whether RO is THAT demanding. Might just be a computer problem on your side.

Upvote 0
Zetsumei is right. As long as I don't want to apply some crazy Anti-Aliasing settings my gfx-card isabsolutely fine. RO is a direct X 7 game, just as UT2003 is and the few DX9 effects like Bloom etc can be turned off.
My graphics card is fine and I actually explained that in my first post too.

The processor is the bottleneck, and a 2.8GHz is barely going to cut it I guess.

A mutator like I suggested could help though. Playing on such "framerate-boost"-servers would somehow be like playing in the special olympics, but at least its not like being in a foot-race with a wheelchair.;)

Upvote 0
Zetsumei is right. As long as I don't want to apply some crazy Anti-Aliasing settings my gfx-card isabsolutely fine. RO is a direct X 7 game, just as UT2003 is and the few DX9 effects like Bloom etc can be turned off.

No it's a DX 8.1 game with some DX 9 features.

Other then that you don't need a CPU that is that much faster then your current I run on a Athlon 2500+ (1,83 GHz) and all official maps except lyeskrovy are well within playable region (even if it would be nice to have a little more muscles in the computer)

Upvote 0
I am running a AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+ 1.81 GHz with 1 GB of RAM and a Nvindia GeForce 6600 GT video card and I get 50 - 80 fps on most maps with my settings mostly on high but not the highest, bloom off and antialiasing set on 4x and anisotropic filtering on 8x.

I don't think it is totally your cpu that is the problem if I can run much higher fps that what you are running. Unless it being an AMD over the P4 that makes the difference.

Lex

Upvote 0
Strange, that you should complain about 1-25 fps. I spose 1-20 aint good, but I live on RO at about 18 fps. I have all the settings to highest, with a 3.2ghz P4 processor, Radeon 9550 gfx card, and 1gb RAM. I still get pretty bad fps, is that cos of the high settings? (Sorry to hijack the thread)

What are your AA and AF settings?

For me with the CPU i said I have earlier and my Radeon 9600pro it does not matter what ingame graphics settings I use I always get the same FPS so that is a clear sign of my system being bottlenecked by the CPU.

Upvote 0
What are your AA and AF settings?

For me with the CPU i said I have earlier and my Radeon 9600pro it does not matter what ingame graphics settings I use I always get the same FPS so that is a clear sign of my system being bottlenecked by the CPU.
Ok. I don't actually have a clue where to find my AA or AF. I remember finding them before... But, I don't know. Could you possibly tell me, please, so that I can find out? Cheers.:)

Upvote 0
right clock on the desktop chose properties

then chose the display tab at the display tab you klick on the advanced button. after that there should appear a window with some tabs having ATi logos on them somwhere among that ATi crap is the settings for AA and AF

(AF can also be set in the RO ini file but I doubt you have done that)
Haha, ok, cheers, I couldn't find it, but it don't matter ;) I spose I musta been thinking of BF series when I changed AA :p

Upvote 0