• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Bayonet or shoot?

How realistic is this "sneak behind 3 people" that you note? Many times people attempt to Bayo is when they come in behind a lone person, often on the ground.

Always, if the person is on the ground shoot him. If I ran fraps I could have 30 minutes of video of watching people trying to bayo someone on the ground and then getting killed by a friend.

If your sneaking behind someone it is better to get the 1 guarenteed kill against 3 people, then it is to bayo one and risk the other 2 turning and getting you.

Always go for the sure kill unless you are rushed and do not have the opportunity.

well, I'm not sure what you mean by realistic. Do you mean real life realistic, or game play realistic? Because I've gotten up to 5 bayo stabs in a row before. (3 were in langor market, 2 in the sniper room above the market :D ) Anyway, it's really just a personal preference, but I find the bayo kill to be far more satisfying, even though it is an increased risk.

Upvote 0
well even i know the bullet is the most wisest to go for, i have the tendency to stab:p there is just something brutal about the bayonet, and for me it kinda set RO apart from all the other ww2 games where it doesnt get featured. so i love to use it.
my mate sometimes says i get a bigger kick out of bayonets then out of a hot woman:p not true though, mind you:p

Upvote 0
I use the saying: "Spray and Pray, or Stab and Rejoice"

My favorite bayonet map is Danzig. If it's a rifleman, and he's nearby, the stab is many times guaranteed. I'll occasionally take a SMG, and when I do so, I still find myself going for the buttsmack if I'm sneaking up on someone.

Bullets are just far too loud, and draw too much attention, whereas Rez has already mentioned, a bayonet can often net you three kills before the enemies realize what's happening. Also, one of the best tricks to staying alive (at least in my opinion) is to keep moving. If you stop to aim, you're making yourself into a nice target for other enemies. Many players don't mount a bayonet, so if you're charging against another rifleman, he'll likely be in big trouble.

It's best to only attempt a stab against a SMG if you're either sneaking up behind him, or in close proximity, mostly open area. I've found that if you circle a SMG that's trying to engage you, they'll often burn up a clip trying to hit you, or kill one of their own teammates. If they're prone or behind cover, you're best tossing a grenade, taking a shot, or waiting for another friendly to provide covering fire while you ambush the beast.

Either way, if you charge with a bayonet, it's a win-win situation for you. If you die, your enemies are obviously cowards, and cannot fight like men. If you get em, well, you're just that much better.

I like to practice on inanimate objects, lamp posts, or the corners of buildings. It really helps give you an idea of the range of the bayonet and how to use it.

Upvote 0
Mastery of the bayonette is most certainly a specific skill. It takes practice, and the timings can be drastically different between servers.

VW said:
If you die, your enemies are obviously cowards, and cannot fight like men. If you get em, well, you're just that much better.

I hate to quote in this situation, but what I think needs saying is - Velcro means (or what I think he means) is if you, in an obvious way, engage another player in melee - known to be the pulling back of the bayo equipped bolt action rifle or raising of buttstock over head - and that player, upon seeing you in melee mode, still shoots you... to us "melee'ers", that is a weak thing to do.

Of course these things arent in stone, and everybody is free to play how they feel fit as long as they arent negatively impacting anyone elses play.. this is obvious

...but we still think you're weak. >_>

Upvote 0
Amen, oh lord oh man, AMEN!!!!!

You should here me on Teamspeak when someone does this...

Though, my favorite situation is this:

You're in mortal combat with a fellow ninja...melee or bayo, whatever. Anyway, you're dancing around and stabbing each other and missing...and then a teammate (from either team, makes no difference in the end) unmerciously sprays both of us down with a PPsh...

For god's sake, why?

Upvote 0
It's because they want to help out ..... :eek:

Golden rule: never ever disturb two gentlemen having a duel.
Because that's what it is: an ancient way for gentlemen to settle their disputes.
Just stand around wondering why you didn't think of that and let the survivor enjoy his victory so don't shoot him when he's victorious.

Melee = the sofisticated way of fighting.

Monk.

Upvote 0
Amen, oh lord oh man, AMEN!!!!!

You should here me on Teamspeak when someone does this...

Though, my favorite situation is this:

You're in mortal combat with a fellow ninja...melee or bayo, whatever. Anyway, you're dancing around and stabbing each other and missing...and then a teammate (from either team, makes no difference in the end) unmerciously sprays both of us down with a PPsh...

For god's sake, why?

Truth

Upvote 0
Bullets are just far too loud, and draw too much attention, whereas Rez has already mentioned, a bayonet can often net you three kills before the enemies realize what's happening. Also, one of the best tricks to staying alive (at least in my opinion) is to keep moving. If you stop to aim, you're making yourself into a nice target for other enemies. Many players don't mount a bayonet, so if you're charging against another rifleman, he'll likely be in big trouble.
I agree. I prefer to shoot in most situations. Against multiple unsuspecting enemies I'll stab to try keep the others unaware of my presence. Unfortunately, my bayo skills have ****ed lately.

...is if you, in an obvious way, engage another player in melee - known to be the pulling back of the bayo equipped bolt action rifle or raising of buttstock over head - and that player, upon seeing you in melee mode, still shoots you... to us "melee'ers", that is a weak thing to do.
Never bring a knife to a gunfight.:)
I shoot quite a few enemies about three feet before they stab me. They usually gave up their chance to shoot in order to have a knife fight. I shoot first and knife fight afterwards. I'll take survival over a knife fight any day.

Upvote 0
Anyone else have this (sick or perverted?) tendency to stab instead of shoot?

Yes I seriously have this sick and Perverted tendency to Stab.

Its just sooo damn fun.

At times, I have pulled Stabs that I never thaught were possible...

Such as running in a room, german hiding in the corner, prone with an STG
As I ran, I noticed him and released the alternate fire and I got him without even stoping... He must have been thinking the classic WTF.

But I get killed VERY OFTEN doing that...

Shooting IS better... thats it thats all.

Yesterday, danzig, we get the 2 first caps and there is a camping German MG34 on the left side past the wine cellar next to the boxes

I run thru west bridge, he noticed me, got up and ran as I primed my nade and dropped it.

He hipshot the clip of his pistol and I still lived... I ran after him for 3 seconds and stabbed him, he survived... teammate pops up and hipshoots him with the PPSH43... stops, I KEEP Running after him, around my teammate...

I got the leftover of the ppsh clip.... was funny as hell... fun, but stupid...

Should have just shot the damn guy.

Upvote 0
I get way more melee kills with pistol grips than bayonets, I can never hit people with a bayonet, you run right into them and the animation clearly goes into them but they don't get hit! It's so annoying, I think more people would be willing to go into melee if it was possible to hit someone with an attack! I love charging into buildings and trenches bayonet first but gamewise it's just not worth it because you inevitably miss and get a face full of hot lead.

Upvote 0