• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does this make sense?

george

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2006
For a long time, I was running RO:O on Medium to High settings, along with my second highest resolution: 1280x800. Then I decided to put EVERYTHING on the highest possible settings and put my RO:O resolution on its highest: 1440x900.
Now I get WAY more kills and my ping went down from 150-200 on most servers to 50-100. How does this work?

As a side note, Red Orchestra is actually kind of pretty with everything on high- really!

For a long time, I was running RO:O on Medium to High settings, along with my second highest resolution: 1280x800. Then I decided to put EVERYTHING on the highest possible settings and put my RO:O resolution on its highest: 1440x900.
Now I get WAY more kills and my ping went down from 150-200 on most servers to 50-100. How does this work?

As a side note, Red Orchestra is actually kind of pretty with everything on high- really!

I had the same thing happen to me. I was running on medium and would get a low fps, but now I'm running on the highest possible settings at 1280x1024 with 6x anti-aliasing and I'm getting 40-50 fps. Ping went down from 100-150 to 50-80 on the servers that I usually go to.

Upvote 0
Ping doesn't - maybe you're looking at different servers :p

However larger resolution = more detail. Much easier to see targets that are further away on a higher res than a lower one. Helps you spot & kill better due to increased detail.

don't agree.. 16 bit ftw :D!!

with the 16bit feature you can see trough walls.. so basicly you are easier to spot and shoot the enemey.. forgot to thank TW for this function! ;)

Upvote 0
The only thing that I could think of is that at lower settings, the CPU does more of the graphics processing, and it's taking away clock cycles from routing network traffic.

But even that explaination doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I'd still think it would try to utilize the maximum potential of your graphics card... and in the world of dual-core processors, well, yeah.

Upvote 0
sam thing here, RO runs so much smoother and faster when i turn everything on. I run RO now on 1280x1024 with full details (only thing i turned down are the physics and the scope details to textured) plus 6xAA and 16xAF (plus adaptive AA and HQ AF enabled!)

oh yeah and since i have a gig of additional ram i put the cache meg size up to 512mb and jeez, its awesome! :D

Upvote 0
I've read similar things at the Steam forums RE CS and DoD source too, ie using higher video settings than suggested actually improved FPS and in some cases lowered ping.

I tried an offline experiment with RO, set all the Graphics to the highest setting and played against some bots, I didn't run FRAPS or anything to check my actual FPS, but the game did run smoother ( and remember my CPU had to deal with the Bots, all 20 of them :) ) .

Perhaps if people posted the specs they have and what improvements uppping the video settings did, it would help ?

As for myself :

Athlon Barton XP3200
1 gig DDR 400
ATI X800 AGP vid card
Onboard NF2 sound

Running RO @ 1280x1024x32
Hi Gore
All video options maxed out

I'll report my FPS ingame and online later.

Upvote 0
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego @default clock ->2,4Ghz
K8N Neo 4 (NForce 4)
2gig RAM DDR PC3200 CL2.0
PowerColor X1950XT 256MB @675:999Mhz

Settings:
1280x1024
6x AA plus Adaptive AA and Temporal AA
16X AF plus HQ AF
highest settings except Physics and Scope (put scope to textured, makes sniping easier and saves fps)

average fps: 40-80fps (depends on situation, eg: smoke, nades & mg-fire)

before i put everything on "high" and AA and AF i ran in lower settings and had LESS performance..... dunno why xD

Upvote 0
FPS from a game just now where I joined an empty server , started at 80-90 using FPS STAT in console, then when bots and people joined ( map was Bondarevo ?) and I took a tank and laid some Arty, 30-50 fps.

But the game looked excellent, and it seems smoother than before too :)

As for AA settings etc, I have them tabbed as Apllication controlled, but I might use Adaptive settings instead. Using Catalyst 6.11 drivers too.

Upvote 0