• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not able to shoot when enemy too close

Not to nitpick or anything (which is what I'm doing actually...) but chainmail does not protect from piercing/thrusting damage. You see the blade will strike only a couple of rings and the rings will break and the knife plunges into the body. Chainmail does protect you from slashing attacks as the pressure and force of the blade is distributed between all of the rings.

Yes, as I've demonstrated many a time in my own maille hauberk, made of 12g butted galvanized steel rings (left over from my SCA days). In demonstrations I've let another fighter slash at the shirt- with knife and sword- and leave me without a scratch, but when placed on a target it's easily pierced with arrows and, to a certain extent, the points of blades. The most effective weapon against maille, though, was any mass-type weapon such as a club or a mace (or some axes) as they caused crushing damage which often broke the rings and drove them into the wounds. Add the rust on old-school iron rings and you've got a lethal combination of damage types.

Upvote 0
I have an idea. When the enemy is REALLY close and you have a longer weapon, too close to even shoot or stab realistically (those rifles are about 4 feet long, right?) so whenever they're closer than 3 feet from you, the fire button uses an instant buttstock attack in the same style as the mod, and it knocks the enemy back about two feet. If awesome animations could be worked into this, like stumbling backwards and blurring vision, it would be absolutely ACE.

Only an idea.

Upvote 0
4ft rifles lol.

That'd be too easy for people to run up and do damage. Melee is about being confused and frantic, not something that's done on its own without any worry.

What about sniper with semi-auto rifle, quickly turn 180 degrees at kill you, even if you close to him. Its not realistic: I think his gun should stuck at your body so he forced to lowering his gun and use melee :eek:

Upvote 0
I think if they could code the guns with collision modelling. Plus something where only of the bullet comes out the barrel it will do damage. Correct me if I am wrong, currently all bullets come direct from the helmet tip. if the bullets do not do damage until the leave the equivelent of the barrel length of your gun then I think it would clear some of this mess with melee up.

bullets spawn at the end of your weapon. Next to that the camera is actually at eye hight but a bit infront of it. So when leaning around a corner for a part you can see behind while your body is still concealed.

Upvote 0
Chitin armor :confused:

Chitin Armor
Shorecb3.jpg

The gory aftermath of defeated chitin armor
9506p85_m.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a shooting game. The melee is there as an extra. Removing the ability to shoot in a WWII FPS game sound a bit daft in the extreme in my opinion. Next we'll be removing the flight ability in IL-2 when your ammo runs out. I like people who try to bayonet or butwip because the usually get themselves or at least one of their team killed when trying to do it. If a member of my team went round doing this i'd boot him off. You see people sneaking up to bayonet someone & you see the guy who's the target still killing people while bayonet Bill is sneaking up. It's a small part of the game necessery only for the sake of realism & for people who think they're great because the stab a guy in the back who has an MG 42 firing in their hands. Very skillful..........or not.
Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
I wouldn't trash the use of melee over traditional firefights. In some maps like one of my favorites, Lyes Krovy, the action gets so intense you have many chances to attack the enemy with a melee strike before he notices you charging at him. When done correctly and successfully, you can easily take the enemy by surprise.

Upvote 0
I think a one stab one kill system would be less 'evil' than the current one, because although that isn't realistic, it's better than being impaled by an 8" length of sharpened steel before whipping around and nailing the guy from the hip. If you get stabbed like that, no matter where, you're going so be severely inhibited one way or another.

Upvote 0