• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I'm not 100% sure of this but if Joint Operations used a netcode maybe not as advanced as RO but still allowed a max of 150 or even more players on a server without suffering too much lag then it could be possible for RO to have around 64 players on screen. Maybe the devs can do some testing on it.

Upvote 0
Most of you folks are missing the point. Its not just a netcode issue, the Unreal is very cpu-hungry and for each player you add it requires a ton more cpu. The devs were saying you would need a server with 8ghz cpu to run a 64 player server simply because the engine was never designed to host more than 32. I thought it was in this thread but it may have been a similar one, I've done a search and can't see it.

Upvote 0
Scoobin said:
Most of you folks are missing the point. Its not just a netcode issue, the Unreal is very cpu-hungry and for each player you add it requires a ton more cpu. The devs were saying you would need a server with 8ghz cpu to run a 64 player server simply because the engine was never designed to host more than 32. I thought it was in this thread but it may have been a similar one, I've done a search and can't see it.
9Ghz actually. :eek:

Upvote 0
if you want 64 players, make a simple mutator and you can get more than 32 players and host a server. It will lag to death... Some servers could probably host a bit more than 32 players like the pt&dal server. But 95% of the servers already can't handle 32 players... and should have been locked around 28 or 26. Wanting 64 will be a warpfest. (although it could work on some maps without grenades/arty/vehicles and only bolt action rifles)

Upvote 0
Battlefield games is 64 players and no lag.
So i agree.
Day of Defeat (not Source) runs with more than 60 frames on my computer, yet RO runs like sh!it. They should change that somehow. It was possible in Day of Defeat, which is much older and it runs on a less advanced engine than RO so it should be easy to achieve in RO.

FIX IT!:mad:

----------------------
/sarcasm

Upvote 0
Day of Defeat (not Source) runs with more than 60 frames on my computer, yet RO runs like sh!it. They should change that somehow. It was possible in Day of Defeat, which is much older and it runs on a less advanced engine than RO so it should be easy to achieve in RO.

FIX IT!:mad:

----------------------
/sarcasm

Actually, DoD:S runs better than RO on my comp. Processor bottleneck probably, or then the RO LOD player models could use some tweaking.

Upvote 0
RO and the UT2k4 engine in general are much more CPU intensive than Doom 3 ever was.

Might be, but also source engine seems to run on my comp with full HDR + med-high details without any problems. With the expection of somewhat long maploads.

Yet still, even if I would have practically anything as low as possible as you can get in RO it still works "slow" as hell.

And as another funny comparasion, even OFP with medium details (and texture sizes) + dxdll generic effects on + 5000m view distance works beter than RO.

I guess my computer just hates RO so much that it doesn't let me play it properly :p

Upvote 0
What the hell is this thread doing back up here...

There is a 40 man server, and there is a thread in the general discussion about it.

Don't bother comparing DoD, DoD:S and BF to RO. Different engines completely, and different rules. DoD and DoD:S are completely arse with over 32 players, and BF is just awful anyway.

The Unreal engine wasn't made for more, and it is an extreme stress on a server to maintain it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What the hell is this thread doing back up here...

Hey it just means people are using search more.

As you can see it's been discussed to death, so before posting "I agree' please read through the topic and find out why 64 players is not possible on the current Unreal 2.5 engine. Playing BF2 you can see how crappy all the client/server optimizationa make it, such as the "rag dolls" and the "lock on missles'. A lot of gameplay features in RO would have to sacraficed to allow for 64 players, which would ultimatly ruin a good game.

I just answered my own question.

Upvote 0