• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Music player for windows. Any good ones?

I hate Windows Media Player
I've been using Itunes, but I dont really like that either
Before that, I used winamp, but after video etc = terrible, bloated, ugh.

So basically, is there a good, no-nonsense player, that has some decent itunes-like playlist and library options (sorting by artists etc, like winamp fails to do properly), preferrably NOT by wanting to 1984-erize my computer and sort its own special macfolder and that sort of sheit. iPod support would also be nice.

I use Foobar2000. It's no nonsense, simple (I don't care about all these robot/flashyflashy/gameshow/8million visualization options) and whoever makes it seems to keep on top of all various music encoding formats so it plays them properly. It also displays VBR mp3 bitrate properly unlike windows media player. Plus the biggest thing is it doesn't invade your privacy.

Upvote 0
There is a plugin for winamp that gives the functionallity of iTunes to it (not syncing with iPods tho).

I will come back here when I remember the name of it.

EDIT:// nm btw I read that you don't like winamp so ignore me. I like it and us it as a media player in windows (music/vid)
actually winamp can sync with your ipod through the media library.
allthough it ***** up my playlist orders, probably my fault, so I use Winamp for playback, but still sorting out is crap, only thing that makes it sorted out is my musiccollections directory layout

Upvote 0
actually winamp can sync with your ipod through the media library.
allthough it ***** up my playlist orders, probably my fault, so I use Winamp for playback, but still sorting out is crap, only thing that makes it sorted out is my musiccollections directory layout

Try to use the plugin I linked to in my second post it might sort some things that got messed up with default winamp when syncing to a iPod.

I said that it can't sync a iPod mainly because I knew default winamp can mess up playlists.

Upvote 0
What's all the sorting about anyway?
I have 6 partitions and MP3s everywhere, I try to keep them in one place, but it aint easy, so if I do clean up once in a while, I accidently delete stuff and so on, just a mess, MediaMonkey was awesome for me, because you can also view the songs by placement on the harddrive, so I can easily move things that are on the wrong disk, and still see it all sorted by artists etc.

Upvote 0
Foobar, because of customization and this minimalistic style. ;)

Just downloaded Foobar. Could you link me to that style? Thanks.

EDIT: Winamp has this neat feature where you press [J], type in the first couple of letters of the band you want to hear, and then you can immediately jump to that part of the playlist. I assume Foobar has a similar feature. Anyone?

Last edited:
Upvote 0