• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [Preview] RO-Zhitomir

Drecks

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
The Netherlands
8 July 1941 almost three weeks since the start of Operation Barbarossa the motorized LSSAH reached the woods around the city of Zhitomir.
The speed of it's advance left them without their infantry support and
countless Soviet counterattacks, infantry combined with T34's almost made the situation critical.
9 July the city of Zhitomir was captured, but Soviets kept their stubborn defense until the 16 th of July. Like Generaloberst Franz Halder wrote:

"the enemy is sending into the battle every day new units we never imagined he could have or could mobilize so fast. Russia seems to have an unlimited supply of forces and our intelligence had been badly off the mark."

This is a strictly Infantry Urban assault/defend map where the Axis must capture all of the objectives in order to win the round. There are five objectives with the first two being closed after they have been taken by the Axis. The third objective (Krasnaja Apartments) must be taken in order to open up the fourth objective (Church Park). Once the Church Park has been capped, the final objective (Warehouse) will be opened and the Krasnaja Apartments will be closed. If the Allies retake the Church Park, the Krasnaja Apartments will be re-opened so the Axis will want to make sure they cover their flanks on their assault of the Warehouse.

Anough talk some screens:

zhitomir1.jpg

zhitomir2.jpg

zhitomir3.jpg

zhitomir4.jpg

zhitomir5.jpg

zhitomir6.jpg

zhitomir7.jpg

zhitomir8.jpg

zhitomir9.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice. I like the custom houses you are using.

Though, the park (shots 5 and 7) looks too much like a paintball field. All those crates and barrels being strewn around feel like "game", not like a realistic landscape.

Maybe add different kind of cover there? Could be a three fallen over, a fence, or a burned out tank/car/halftrack...

Upvote 0
Looks very nice. I like the custom houses you are using.

Though, the park (shots 5 and 7) looks too much like a paintball field. All those crates and barrels being strewn around feel like "game", not like a realistic landscape.

Maybe add different kind of cover there? Could be a three fallen over, a fence, or a burned out tank/car/halftrack...

Although the crates in the screen are the only crates in the park on a second look it could use some other cover. I'm sure gonna work on this.
Maybe a small sandbag post or something like that.
Great suggestion Helmut.

Upvote 0
MIght it be possible to add grass like arad has that slowly renders around the player for a certain distance. I think some nice grass would make this map really beautifull (i know there are some patches of grass already). IT just that in my eye the extremely flat grounds looks odd. (in all maps that use a ground texture for grass i get this though)

Upvote 0
Drecks, great job once again. The last alpha I tested didn't have the church area and warehouse. Opening the map up in that direction has really improved the gameplay. I love the gameplay on all of your maps, but the firefights on this one are the most intense yet. The back and forth battles for the apartments are incredible.

Initially I thought it was too tough for the Germans to win, but last night on the After Hourz server it was proven to be possible. I've played a few rounds, but I can't think of any suggestions to improve the gameplay. It's so damn good as it is. I love urban maps where rifles are just as effective as SMGs. Every weapon is useful on this one.

I agree with Helmut. The boxes and barrels look too gamey. Also the building that houses the final Russian spawn seems a bit empty and sometimes it's confusing to find the way out. The rest of the map looks fine.

Upvote 0