• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The first thing you noticed when you started RO:O

Same as DirtyRat, first time I played I was on Konigsplatz. Things I noticed were the MG tracers flying around and the sound, like most people here say. It was really exhilarating to see the tanks firing their tracer rounds and all of us Russians moving forwards... I'd never seen anything like it before.

Upvote 0
Konigsplatz during the beta period. Probably the fact I had a hard time telling one side from the other as at the time, it was hard for me to tell what in the world was going on. Which way was I supposed to go, who is shooting me, etc.

Eventually learned the game, for the most part. The sounds are just damn amazing, and can't go wrong with bleeding from a wound or limbs being blown off.

Upvote 0
the only thing that really caught my attention was the fact that i made a whole lot more( and i mean a whole lot more ) kills then in 3.3, due to the soldiers standing out of the terrain more then 3.3 where they kinda blended in.

and the new rifle sounds, they sounded less hard then they used to be.

and the ragdolls are f*cking awesome ^^ i never get tired of RO:Ost dolls crumbling
and the gore. love the gore.

not the manual bolting though, i got used to that in like 2 minutes ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm going to point some of the bad points for now just because i feel like it :p

Well first i didn't see anything because there was a problem luckily checking the integrety of the file cache fixed that.

Then i was kinda disappointed by the menu i liked the old one more and there was no more menu music :'(

Then i started loading a map, 10 mins later i was still loading then i finally got ingame.

Sadly the game was alot laggier than the mod, and my computer couldn't handle it it seems neither could any server. 800x600 low detail everything ran and still runs thesame as 1920x1200 everything full + aa + af My proc a barton 2500+ just wasn't enough to get a constant above 30 framerate.

Next to that everything looked awfully blurry, and no it was not my resolution (1920x1200, AA and AF was cranked up, oh and it wasn't an ati, imo ati > nvidia but thats a different discussion :p) Afcourse removing bloom fixed and that was one of the features that were new that didn't work. Together with nice new spectating modes that didn't fix the problems we had with it in the mod.

The first map i loaded up was koningsplatz and it was an immediate dissapointment for me, it was so lineair and wide visibility no options to flank unseen (not that flanking would help anyway) and when i joined my first game i got shot by a t34 1 second after i started :p

Didn't like the ba64 either, heck i didn't care about mg or protection against small arms just wanted something to transport alot of people quickly.

MG's and SMG's had massivly high kickback compared to the mod.

And i missed my favourite mod maps, alot of the best maps weren't in and we had 6 infantry maps while in the mod 90% of all maps were infantry, Krasny, Basovka, Kessel, Odessa, Kauk, Baksan.
(were were Berlin, Rostov, Danzig?) first I expected no ports but seeing that most maps were remakes or ports of mod maps i thought that atleast the most played maps for their gameplay would be ported.

And especially the remade Basovka felt lineair compared to the old Ponyri where you had all the room in the world.

The new arad felt so small compared to the old open arad next to that it really felt unbalanced, because a angled t34 could never be destroyed it seemed. Atleast the enemy never got me.

Bayonets, were bayonets were really usefull in closecombat hipshooting is actually easier now than bayonetting beside if you bayonet someone not fully charged in their back ribcase they will turn around and spray you full with bullets.

And the saddest part was, that there was even less teamplay and nothing to get more teamplay than in the mod. Together with a lack of functionality for Machineguns while it was said they'd be fearfull people would still only use the tracers to find the actual mger and shoot him. instead of having any function for him.

Servers all servers seemed to lag especially with tanks, together with memory leaks. Where our server ran 32 players in the mod with not much of a change in pings when using tanks. Here tanks put the pings up to the 200's.

If someone used the voicechat messages i'd hear them all over the map feeling like its been said right next to me. So i'd always turn around whenever i heard grenade or other commands. Only to find out that the directional messaging and location was removed.

Ping wasn't supposed to matter yet when playing on a 200ping server (with no packetloss just because of location difference) i still had to shoot over a meter ahead of a running soldier a meter infront of me.

There were alot of nice things aswell, but i expected more when it came out, i must say that its alot more polished now.

But there were alot of things I liked aswell but i'll let the others post that.

Upvote 0