• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The first thing you noticed when you started RO:O

trillex

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Remember when RO:O just came out and we all just wanted to get onto a server to play our beloved game? Well, what was the first thing you really noticed and thought was awesome?

Mine was the sound. I had taken some time to set up my setup properly with my headset on, volume pumped up and I joined a Combined Arms map. I ran by a tank, trying to dive to cover as it shot and the sound effect was absolutely amazing. It felt like the shell flew right over my shoulder and I immediatly, per reflex, nose dived into the first crater I could find while I heard bullets whizzling around me. I aligned the shot and the satisfying crack of my rifle was even better than the actual kill!

Sound, and it's other effects. The first map I ever played was Arad. I chose infantry and was running past a Tiger. He shot just as I was directly in front of him and it was ****ing awesome.

First thing I noticed that wasn't awesome about RO, infantry movement/agility. I know they're wearing alot of stuff but not being able to jump over a fence below waist height? WTF?

Upvote 0
The 1st thing i noticed was that there was crosshair OMG how am i going to play???:D
Ok just kiding the 1st thing was manual bolting it felt so real(ok as far games can be.NOT real real)and each kill was and still is so much rewarding.
The 2nd thing was (like the most people "new" into red orchestra)that i ****ed big time and i had to get off all my DOD:Source habits,tactical planing and teamplay was necessary to survive and win.

Upvote 0
I noticed the Balistics. After playing CoD For years I would just line a guy up in the sights & BOOM!! He was dead. Not on RO tho. I had to lead a moving target & raise my shot for distances over 60M or so. Made it such a challenge to play & actually put a bit fo skill into the game. Also it made the MG tracer fantastic with not only shot drop but richochet's rounds too. Made the game look & feel great. Was hooked within about 2 hours which was when i got my first kill :(
Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
The major thing for me was the complete lack of zooming when I looked through the iron sights. The only FPS I'd been playing recently had been Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and I rarely used a gun without a scope.

I got all jittery and had to disconnect after 2 minutes, the feeling of being out of control was too intense. Then I cooled my head for a few minutes and connected to a server again and got my first rifle kill.

Upvote 0
I would say "DEATH"

But what really blew me away was

Yes... Predictable... The sound.

I think Sound is the best feature of the game...
Blasting a quality headset with you're window open because you're smoking... while its in the winter... so you're cold... gun fire everywere....

Ya... You feel you're at war.

Makes DOD look like Alice in Wonderland.

Upvote 0