• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Map file is way to big!

SchutzeSepp

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2006
hello, i have finished my map and i have realised the map.rom file is 70megabites!! 3 times bigger than the average RO map!

how did this come?

i only have 3 terrain layers, it is comparable to konigsplatz in size, contains alot of building meshes imported from maps like konigsplatz, but again those meshes seem pretty simple, only 5 have detailed interior

the map is made on an previously made map, wich only contained a large terrain and a few buildings and meshes, that map was 60mb! while my map now with 800% more buildings and meshes is 70mb (only 10 more!) i did use the same terrain mesh but i have deleted 85 % of it with the visibility tool.

can someone tell me what could be causing this?

wow... 2048x2048 thats enormously detailed. I wouldnt expect you would have to use anything abouve 256x256 except maybe for a really massive tank map like orel. There is no reason why anything above 512 should ever be used really as 1024x1024 is more than 2 million polygons which would strain a lot of low and medium end machines.

Oh and using the invisibility tool will not reduce the filesize, it merely means the computer doesnt have to draw those polygons :).

Your computer must be pretty damned fast if it didnt suffer any sort of slowdown with the 2048x2048 terrain.

Upvote 0
no, i build it on some abandoned project map of mine, the terrain was like 2046x2046

now i made a 512x512 terrain and it just fits, and it is 27 mb (just like konigsplatz)

i am re-building all the terrain from zero, hopefully it will be ready tonight or tomorrow.

w00000t! Use 256x256 and scale it up UP UP! Then if you need more land just use another 256x256 terrain.

Upvote 0