• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server 3rd. Time/ Need support:

hwxlhrider

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2006
USA/Massachusetts
I want to be a dedicated/game server host and for some reason I get redirected to a second party, and can't even get in my own game. What's up with that crap?
Oh! you need more details huh?
It used to work just fine, no second parties to deal with, got online, connected, and played a game with no bull**** involved.
The server works when I reload red orchestra, I can see my site on the server list and can't get on the damn thing.
Anything else you need to know just ask.

To quote advice given you in an earlier thread, by someone else:

So confused. Calm down and explain coherently...

Check previous threads by him mate, that one IS calm!! :D

But seriously folks, you get redirected ALL the time, or only on non standard maps?
Do you have the IP so others can try to connect to server and see if theres a problem?
What are specs of server?

Upvote 0
man, you are not describing your problem properly

just write what are you doing
then write what you extpect to achive by that work
and finally write what is real effect of the work - like server is not working as it should

cause now i got no f... idea what is your problem at all. and that is for sure not encouraging anyone to help you solve the problem.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have anything besides non constructive replys to add to the complicating confusion?

OK I'll try it your way

FFS man whats the fnucking problem man, I can't be arsed to tell you what it is, I just want to rant !

Thats no help at all is it?

NOW
try to tell us clearly and concisely what the problem is so we can HELP you... oh yeah, and TRY to answer the questions I asked you before rather than get a ****ty on :D

Upvote 0
okay, ill post the PM i got from hwxlhrider, perhaps you have more informations about the problem then:

Hey I know this post is from Nov. 2006 but I'm still not getting it right.
I ain't no pro at this and can use all the positive help I can get.
The first time I hosted my own game , no problem had a good game,no unreal consoles popped up, and over and done with. Right?
Then some updates or something else changed the configuration for hosting a game. Now I can get a host spot but can't join my own game.
First I don't know the difference between a dedicated and a listen host spot.
Second after starting and connecting as a server the red orchestra icon for THAT game is on my toolbar that has 3 options on a menu and none of them will connect ME to the game I'm hosting. Why won't that work?
Second I can see my game on the multiplayer server list after I re open red orchestra and browse the list. And I can join any other servers except my own.
I never ran across an unreal console in my pc user experiences in the past and I have a feeling that has something or everything to do with it.
Is it possible I somehow got the wrong files that control the way I host games?

but sadly i dont know, how to solve the issue :(
we have no listen-server but a pure dedicated server on a root-server. i have no idea, how to setup a server on your own pc and play on it together with some guys from outside your home.

sorry.

Upvote 0
Definitions first
OK a dedicated server is one that hosts the game you CANNOT play RO on the same computer that is hosting the game, you have to use a separate computer.

A listen server is one that both PLAYS and HOSTS the game.

Now then, if you start a listen server you don't need to go to the internet screen as by default you are joining your OWN server when you start. The idea is that you set up all the options from the GUI (graphical user interface) and then you're in. There should be no need to use a separate server selection screen to join.

If starting your game via the GUI, what are you setting the 'switches' to?, the reason I ask this is that if you don't set the switches to the right positions that too can cause problems.

Has this fault only occurred since you added custom maps, as I read a previous thread of yours in which you alluded to not knowing where to put the map files.

STOP PRESS
I've just been able to replicate your fault by starting a dedicated server on my computer, minimising it, and trying to join it by starting RO multiplayer. That even gives you the three icons at the bottom of your screen.If you plan to play in the server AND host it you MUST use the 'listen' server option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
STOP PRESS
I've just been able to replicate your fault by starting a dedicated server on my computer, minimising it, and trying to join it by starting RO multiplayer. That even gives you the three icons at the bottom of your screen.If you plan to play in the server AND host it you MUST use the 'listen' server option.

Somehting is wrong..... I host three dedicated servers and play in all three with no trubs at all.

Upvote 0
Somehting is wrong..... I host three dedicated servers and play in all three with no trubs at all.

You host a dedicated game and play it on the same computer with the same install of RO that is running as the server?

Possible if you install one instance of the game and have that game running, and then start up another install of the game and use that to connect with , but why would you want to?

A dedicated server is just that and it makes sense to use another computer to connect to it to play the game with. A listen server is the sort of thing you'd set up for a lan or for a small internet hosted game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You host a dedicated game and play it on the same computer with the same install of RO that is running as the server?
No.

Possible if you install one instance of the game and have that game running, and then start up another install of the game and use that to connect with , but why would you want to?
All our RO Servers are dedicated. If I wish to play on any of them then I boot RO the game, and join the server of my choice. Works great.

A dedicated server is just that and it makes sense to use another computer to connect to it to play the game with. A listen server is the sort of thing you'd set up for a lan or for a small internet hosted game.

True... but highly inefficient.

Upvote 0