• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Can I force RO to work on multi cpu?

Ro doesn't support multithreading meaning if you have a dual core processor or more processors ro won't be able to utilize it. So you might aswell run 4 ro servers on it or 1 they will all perform thesame.

I really wish that it would be possible to create Dual CPU support someway for ro though. With 2 of the best quad cpu's (so basically 8 cores) maybe 64 players would be possible. And waiting for a single core to be strong enough for that will be like waiting for Duke Nukem Forever to come out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ro doesn't support multithreading meaning if you have a dual core processor or more processors ro won't be able to utilize it. So you might aswell run 4 ro servers on it or 1 they will all perform thesame.

I really wish that it would be possible to create Dual CPU support someway for ro though. With 2 of the best quad cpu's (so basically 8 cores) maybe 64 players would be possible. And waiting for a single core to be strong enough for that will be like waiting for Duke Nukem Forever to come out.

frankly speaking that does not sound well about the ut engine optimizations

Upvote 0
The reason you are using only half the CPU is because HyperThreading is turned on. The only way to turn it off that I know of is through the BIOS which will require "remote hands on."

You could try asking your server provider to turn it off but something tells me they're not going to want to do it if they cannot physically do it themselves.

Upvote 0
Server providing has said me that HyperThreading is turned off. Machine is a xeon with 4 cpus but they has said me the server is running quite well, it's fine. They have said me that if the game would need more capacity, it would use it by itself. But we have a brutal ping still. The problem with ping has show up when we have upgrade server from 20 to 30 slots. The server is running ok but the ping is too high.

Upvote 0
Yeah, good idea mate, run Linux ... after all its much easier to install, easier to mod and ALL linux systems run RO with no problems whatsoever :D :D :D :D

Don't get me wrong, I use Linux on a day to day basis, also Solaris 10, BUT it appears RO doesn't seem to like it as well as windoze. Also I can't see the point of running a rock solid and reliable system like Linux and then buggering about with a less than reliable cross over.

The point about other services running is well made though.

Upvote 0
.. just LMAO
Laugh all you like mate, the fact is that it IS a reliable system, the problems occur (as always) when its 'fiddled about' with.
I mean, take the standard method of 'installing' MOHAA onto a Linux box as a server:
1 install onto a windows computer
2 copy entire directory onto Linux box
3 faff about with install till it works

Until software houses sort out PROPER Linux installs, not half arsed windoze port overs, there will continue to be problems.. the majority of which will be falsely ascribed to a problem with Linux.

Upvote 0
I was just loling hearing someone telling that Linux is reliable and rock solid .. :) ...

Nor Linux, nor Windows, nor Mac OS is reliable and rock solid. The only OS's that I know that are somehow close to be reliable and rock solid are OS400 and BSD. but they are also not 100% rock solid... For personal use.. is enough.

The probs with Linux is that is not better or worst than WinSrv but there are way less business applications and is much more expensive to maintain...

Upvote 0
I was just loling hearing someone telling that Linux is reliable and rock solid .. :) ...

Nor Linux, nor Windows, nor Mac OS is reliable and rock solid. The only OS's that I know that are somehow close to be reliable and rock solid are OS400 and BSD. but they are also not 100% rock solid... For personal use.. is enough.

The probs with Linux is that is not better or worst than WinSrv but there are way less business applications and is much more expensive to maintain...
OS/400, are you yoking? :S
eeeew OpenGL with RO? All the pretty stuff is gone like motion blur...etc...etc.
Well, they could add OpenGL Motion Blur...

But I think that the developers will only put effort in OpenGL once they know that Valve Corp. will have an official native Steam client for either Linux, Mac OS, or both.
At least, that's how I'd do it.

Upvote 0