• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Back after several months...and a little sad.

fivetiger

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2006
Just started playing RO again after many months off. I love the new Danzig map (much more intricate).

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed that there are still blank bullets in this game. I'm talking about the times when I unload a semi-auto at 2 meters into someone who doesn't know I'm there...only to have them turn around and kill me. Doesn't happen too often, but definetely several times already after only about 10 hours of game time.

And there were a couple of times when it happened the other way. I CLEARLY should have been killed, but I just turned around and calmly shot the dude.

Not a game-breaker for me, but still annoying.

Could it have something to do with low fps? When I checked my fps previously, I remember it being in the 10-20 range.

Yeah, it's interesting. In posts about this problem way back when, there definately were people who never heard of that happening, while others said it was fairly common. Weird.

Just for fun, tell me what you guys think about this much more murky conspiracy theory :). I SWEAR my grenades are not as powerful as everyone else's. I can throw it into a crowded room and no one dies. I don't get it. If I grenade lands anywhere near me, I'm dead. Even if laying down.

I'm always swearing that something is wrong with my game and that I have an enlarged hit detection box....but yesterday I met someone else in the same situation. Every time this guy ran across my sights (overlooking langermark) I hit him. He wasn't a noob - he didn't just stand there like some do. He was actually running. Far away. I missed most of the other runners, but hit this guy over and over and over. He must have thought I was cheating.

It really made me wonder - what if some players have larger hit-detection boxes or are cursed in some other way? It was bizarre.

Upvote 0
I have been having this bad the last couple of days. SMGs are useless for me beyond point blank range because only 3 out of 30 shots actually register on target. I snuck up behind a guy, with my hipped 34, barrel touching and let a 3 round burst go, one tracer went through his head. he doesnt fall and starts to turn, crap another burst, he finally gets turned around I back up and go rock and roll at less then 3 meters there is no way I miss with every shot, and he 1 shot hips me with his frickken semi auto. I get 40-70 fps most of the time. I even posted something about this in the bug forum, hoping there was something I could tweak to fix my connection if that is the fault but got no response.

Upvote 0
Since there are no xhairs in ROOST and the aiming point from the hip floats around the screen its hard to tell were you bullets are going. The gun isnt always aiming at the centre of the screen, the bullets actually go where the gun is pointed and this problem kind sounds like the bullets are just going around the person.

The flaw in the floating (xhair) system is it doesnt tighten up at close range the way a real person would, it floats around as if no was is there when most people would make an effort to aim in the general direction of the enemy .

Upvote 0
I'm always swearing that something is wrong with my game and that I have an enlarged hit detection box....but yesterday I met someone else in the same situation. Every time this guy ran across my sights (overlooking langermark) I hit him. He wasn't a noob - he didn't just stand there like some do. He was actually running. Far away. I missed most of the other runners, but hit this guy over and over and over. He must have thought I was cheating.

It really made me wonder - what if some players have larger hit-detection boxes or are cursed in some other way? It was bizarre.

It is probably a curse for the poor guy. About once a week I end up doing the same thing to some poor guy (who must also think I am cheating). I am sure I miss him, I am usually just taking quick shots with my bolt to get him to stop advancing. But I kill him....several times....in a row, eventually ending with this poor guy quiting the server right afterwards. Seems like I shoot them right out of the server...

Upvote 0
Last night I had a T-34 dead in my sights, T-boned, and put three rounds of APCR into him while he was distracted. He was no more than 15 meters away, but not one of those shots registered- no shot splash, no sparks, no smoke, NADA. He should have been dead after the first two. It took a fourth hit- after he was smoked by someone else- to finish him off.

Personally, I think we can chalk most of this up to server lag- because not five minutes later I put ONE round into a moving SU-76 at 500 meters and it was an instant kill.

Solution: Play different servers at different times and see which one works best for you at any given time. Your Mileage May Vary.

Upvote 0
You miss at the last second buddy. You think you hit him, but before the shot left the barrel you moved the gun throwing it off, or the sway threw it off at the last second. CoD didn't have this featrue, you could fire off shot from the kar and move it the same time. Took me a day to break the habit.

It's like in real life, you're shaking and you shoot and point blank, and you'd swear you must've hit him, but you didn't.

Upvote 0
Since there are no xhairs in ROOST and the aiming point from the hip floats around the screen its hard to tell were you bullets are going. The gun isnt always aiming at the centre of the screen, the bullets actually go where the gun is pointed and this problem kind sounds like the bullets are just going around the person.

The flaw in the floating (xhair) system is it doesnt tighten up at close range the way a real person would, it floats around as if no was is there when most people would make an effort to aim in the general direction of the enemy .
I can see a few bullets going around a person, but not everysingle shot out of 30. oddly enough I was on a different server after a reboot and every shot landed. I even got a few short hip bursts at 30 meters like usual.

Upvote 0
well i havent been having this but ive been having a problem with ghosts, people just arent there, and their shooting at me, they kill me and after im dead i can see them with my spectator cam. however from my first person cam the people are invisible, i ran right into 2 rifelers an was looking at their muzzle flashes so i know this is happenin, because they appeared after they killed me. ontop of that its been happening regularely lately..

Upvote 0
well i havent been having this but ive been having a problem with ghosts, people just arent there, and their shooting at me, they kill me and after im dead i can see them with my spectator cam. however from my first person cam the people are invisible, i ran right into 2 rifelers an was looking at their muzzle flashes so i know this is happenin, because they appeared after they killed me. ontop of that its been happening regularely lately..

Ive noticed this too as well in the last week. I just didnt want to say anything. Cause shouting you popped out of thin air sounds so n00bish.

Upvote 0
i think the game engine has a hard time when you get closer to the enemy, when the enemy is far away i guess the engine has a few extra milli-seconds to calculate trajectory, movements, etc...
when you are close everything goes faster, you start moving around like a headless chicken spamming bullets at each other, while the engine has to process all this information.

i know these situations, you could avoid it by staying calm and fire one lucky shot.
when i bumb into some smg guy with my bolt, i fire in his direction without aiming, and strangely i manage to kill him 7/10 times, if i miss we both start spamming, running avoiding bullets moving like we were on speed, and it creates such a laggy situation.

Upvote 0
Luck and practise has something to do it, but even bigger reason is lag, you can allways shoot lagger easily or can't hit anything if you are lagger. I was lagger in one game and couldn't hit anything even at point blank range, my shots didn't just hit where they should hit. Enemy was running right towards me and I shooted full clip with bursts not hitting him. UT 2004 engine just uses so smooth lag compensation that you don't notice lag so much, with some other engines you notice clearly when players are strangely vanishing and appearing again.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Lag_Compensation

Upvote 0