• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

anyone making a modern day mod?

Tairos you are, completely and utterly, correct.

I know.

I mean, why go for originality? Or something new? Because seeing the M4 in every f*cking game we play is great!

I'm not against originality. I don't really care if America features in a modern era game or not, per se. On the face of it, I could agree, depending. It's the general spirit in this thread that I'm sick of. You people don't want America in not because you're for ingenuity, but because you're typical anti-Americans who can't stand to be reminded of your own country's relative obscurity. Seriously, the constant inferiority complex isn't becoming, believe it or not.

Upvote 0
It's the general spirit in this thread that I'm sick of. You people don't want America in not because you're for ingenuity, but because you're typical anti-Americans who can't stand to be reminded of your own country's relative obscurity. Seriously, the constant inferiority complex isn't becoming, believe it or not.
Ow come on now. It's just a formula that ppl are bored of. No one complains about a vietnam game, just the US vs percieved threat of today scenario. Because a large scale evenly sided conflict is purely hypothetical it has to be dressed up with a certain amount of bs to set the scene.
Also maybe when ppl read 'america vs whoever' they phaps fear it's new US foreign policy.
I think you've got all upset too easily, do you feel you have been backed into a corner? Then again if talking of the 'obscurity' of other 'little' countries and the US being the 'greatest military power' makes your balls feel big then you go for it.

We have a history of involving ourselves in places we have no real business in,
Nice one. However the US did pretty good business in WW2 before getting involved.
You could also say AECOM, Foster Wheeler, Halliburton ,CH2M Hill , Vinnell Corp and so on are doing quite well in Iraq.
I don't see the US (or anyone else to be fair) in Myanmar/Burma but i guess theres 'no real business' in ornate wooden coffee tables.

Upvote 0
Tauris you're also forgetting that this is a mod that's being discussed. Mods have historically been able to hit the niche markets that big game companies are afraid to risk losing money on. And in all honesty I do not expect the US would help countries in Europe if they were being attacked by an aggressive state, provided that state would have played ball with the US government/economy (see 'the Nazis').

Once again, I refer you to Point of Existence 2 - Germany vs the Ukraine. Their plot line does indeed involve the US, it is mentioned that they too are deploying troops to the front, but they are not in the mod yet, and they might not ever be. The mod is still popular. Perhaps you are right, and I fear you are, if such a GAME were released, modern warfare without the US, people would either buy it and say 'er guys lol where's the usa?' or just 'wtf?! ****ing euros im not playin this s***', or they would simply laugh the idea off as 'implausible as we all know the US would be involved in any war, ever'.

So, once again I'm afraid, it is possible for MOD TEAMS to make MODS about wars that do not involve the US (hell, WWII games are rare without the US and we're playing one right now that started as a mod), and I for one would gladly play one. And I do regularly play POE2.

PS: Jono, you > all.

Upvote 0
What are you guys talking about?
How could it not be Americas buisness when there is a war in central europe? Have you ever heard of the word "export market" or "allies" ?
America would definately intervene in a central european war. I bet my ass on that and I have something to lose back there.:rolleyes:

And to the opposite crowd: Tell me when was the last time the Americans were involved in a war which was not "their buisness"?
WW2 ? Guess not.
Vietnam ? => "Domino Theory" and the fear to lose a whole bunch of countries to communism. => Loss of export markets.
Iran/Iraq ? => Oil? I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
POUET POUET
:p

People should realize that the subject is about creating a mod and not a video games.
I really doubt the modders are doing survey to know which country must be done to have the highest number of player :)D otherwise it would be usa vs germany,all the modern war player are just whore about these 2 nations).

modder are free to choose which countries they want !
if they want to do norway vs sweden, they do it !

Upvote 0
POUET POUET
:p

People should realize that the subject is about creating a mod and not a video games.
I really doubt the modders are doing survey to know which country must be done to have the highest number of player :)D otherwise it would be usa vs germany,all the modern war player are just whore about these 2 nations).

modder are free to choose which countries they want !
if they want to do norway vs sweden, they do it !

And they did! Silent Heroes for BF1942 was based on Norway invading Sweden.

Murphy has it about right. The only reason the US became involved in WWII against Germany (Japan is another matter) is that it was clear that the Soviets would take over all of Europe if not stopped at Berlin. Communist Europe would not have been good for US business, so across the channel they sailed.

But this is off topic - MODS are free to do what they like. If someone wants to make a mod with America in, by all means do so, I'll play it if it is good quality. However, at the same time, noone should ever try to pressure mod teams into including America or any other nation. If Tauris wants a mod with the USA, he should make one himself or find people who already want to make one, not try and make all other ideas seem stupid.

Upvote 0
I quite liked the joint operations theme- east timor.
You could be one of the elite units of many western countries - S.A.S. , Royal marines ,KSK ,gign, spetsnaz and aussie SAARs , plus the usual US crew. Was cool to play as an Indo as well.
That was a good game as it goes, but for some silly issues that could have been easily solved.
Loadouts were ok but a bit same old, Typically M4/M16 vs '47 /'74 sort of thing. They weren't different depending on the western nationality you played as unfortunately. The only difference was a selection of skins and voices for each.

Upvote 0
Well I gotta say I was pretty impressed with EA & Dice for releasing BF2142 with no american army, EU coalition and Pan Asian Coalition being the main armies, and they also got the brit voices right for a change, i.e. no cheesy tea sipping 19th century toffs!

So this goes to show you dont need an american army in a game to make it popular in the US.

I do feel however some people are being slightly unfair to Tairos, he has some valid points, I agree with him that Americans "generally" want to play as their own army and also play on the "winning" or "good" side...but I think Tairos has taken some of the posts here the wrong way...they aren't anti-american, they are simply anti american in yet another game/mod!

Nearly every combat game released features the american army, and all people want is a bit of change, to use some different weapons/tactics or to hear some different voices - I would certainly like to hear more accents in game acting, the voices they use generally are cheesy and generic with no character.

Upvote 0
A commentary regarding an American presence in a mod or full-up game:

It doesn't matter WHAT the troop loadout in any particular game is; it all boils down to two basic areas of interest: the specs on the weaponry they have available, and the PLAYERS who employ those weapons.

In RO, oftentimes players will switch up sides depending on the map based solely on the capabilities of the weapons a particular side has- it has nothing to do with 'staying in character' (as a Soviet/German soldier) or whatever for many people. If you don't like the tank loadout on Orel- switch sides! It's a game, and such things ARE possible, you know.

As for having a game or 'mod' featuring American forces, in the end it won't matter whether you call them American or Finnish or East Timorese- in the end it will come down to the PLAYERS who use those troops and their equipment. So people may in fact be tired of seeing American featured in WW2 or later games- the only sin of many of those games is not allowing the PLAYER to choose to play the other side in single player mode. (For example I would love to be able to play a single-player campaign in something like CoD- Political Correctness aside, that would rock--)

No, if American forces are introduced into RO they will be chosen for their capabilities, not for what uniform the models are kitted out with. If it turns out that Sherman tanks are Lords of the Bocage it will follow that players will want to play them- if they turn out to be Deathtraps of Normandy they will be shunned (and no doubt the subject of many rants in these forums) and thus American tank forces will be underplayed. Likewise the same for British or Japanese or Romanian what have you- if the 'game pieces' are effective, players that can properly employ them will do so, and others will avoid playing those types.

Me? I like Tiger 1's, others I know like T-34's and IS-2's. Others yet may love Sherman or Stuart tanks. Neither has anything to do with politics or patriotism or 'love of the old country' in most cases- it has everything to do what those weapons systems can do in the game.

Upvote 0
A commentary regarding an American presence in a mod or full-up game:

It doesn't matter WHAT the troop loadout in any particular game is; it all boils down to two basic areas of interest: the specs on the weaponry they have available, and the PLAYERS who employ those weapons.

Ok I'm afraid we have a serious problem here.

How can the loadout not matter but the specs of the loadout does? because the specs change as the loadout changes therefore making the loadout important and since the loadout depends on which country is playing (in this case the americans) that country becomes an important factor.

Oh and the players. Good and mature players look for some original games ( look at the RO community; mature and guess what? RO represents a seriously ignored front in WW2 games.) whereas dumbasses play the same style of game over and over again... (DF2 for example.)

laters

or as the "dumbasses" say:

" Destination CTF: America vs. Poor Eastern Country/ Russia here we come!"

Upvote 0