• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can I Have Sniper Please?

True! Not to mention your general situational awareness is heavily diminished by the scope.

To each his own I guess but if you stick with RO, chances are you'll evolve into a rifleman.

The way I see things, the natural evolution of an average RO Player from day one till he gets good is as follows:

1. Snipa
2. SMG
3. Semi-SMG
4. bolt
5. getting pissed off going back to SMG
6. Being a man and noticing SMG accuracy is sh!t compared to the rifle.
7. Sticking to the bolt, mastering it
8. Chosing it even if he loads first and enters the servers with a good 8 seconds advance on the others (my case ;)).

:D

mine is:

1: rifle because comp loads too ****e too select other weapons
2: get a new comp and you can load fast
3: try other wapens like svt's mg's and smg's
4: get sad about the accuracy of em
5: get sad about the zoom on the sniper because its too horribly big
6: go back to rifle and just stuck with it and never take anything else
7: get angry about making all classes harder but the rifle, it was already the easiest class to rank up kills with :'(, wheres the challenge now when all clan ppl play in their own bloody server to fill it up, if only the few best players of every clan started playing together we could atleast train ourselves :p, because of that problem you start playing clan matches only ;o and get bored of publics.

In the end for my kind of play a rifle fits me best.

But that doesn't change that a GOOD sniper should kill me everytime at long range, and a good smg should kill me always at short range. Its just that the lack of good is going down. So its hard for an average rifleman like me to get better :'(, and maybe get good one day.

Upvote 0
You cant attach a bayo to a sniper rifle - therefore the sniper class is useless to a samurai
idunno6nq.gif

Snipers are great fun to hunt however.

Upvote 0
I've played sniper maybe(serious) 5 times since this version came out 9 months ago cause it's always picked or someone crying so.... I just avoid these dickheads alltogether. Ya, were talking about YOU and you know who you are. You do not help the team one bit by bickering with your teammates nor do you reflect positive on our community. You know it's wrong and you still pull this crap and I should type np to your sorry. Eat crap and die cause guess what....

Nobody likes guys like you:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Also I would like to say that there is a difference in this game between a player who uses the sniper class when he can get it and a sniper. A real sniper is someone who has really mastered the weapon, someone who has positions plotted across every map to use for every situation possible, it takes more than just using the sniper class to be a real sniper.

Funny you mention it, I made this Edit, 3 mins before you posted the above :D
EDIT: and most of the negative comments made about the sniper class in this thread concern the newbies TKing for it, not the established players who CHOSE it as their favorite.

Upvote 0
RANT/ Just had a morning sessions of RO after a night out and i played sniper on a few maps, and constantly people asking 'can i have sniper please, king ragnar you **** let me be sniper etc' was really doing my tits in these people who think they are awesome and should be sniper alll the time, now i know why i stopped picking that class a while back, and then what made it worse was that some moron started tking me for it and i just left after a while because i just couldnt be bothered:mad:/RANT

so to come to a conclusion lol, is the sniper as holy and prestige as made out to be?

Answer: No, a bolt/semi auto is just as effective

LOL

There are some asshats out there.

At least they asked you... however, saying that "You **** at it" is not a good way to ask.

I play sniper once in a while if I can get the class.
I get tked... when that happens, I TK him back... specially if he is using my gun.
Not that I do not want him to, but I want him to ASK me for it politely, and at that point I Might give it to him if I know I am not performing.

Some people have no manners.

Upvote 0
of all the snipers ive played i have rarely seen any good ones, mainly because some idiots take it and DONT USE IT PROPERLY! im a big fan of all the infantry guns, and unlike some others who drool over theyr bolties, i prefer to master all the guns, going from the range of the stg, to the svt to the pps43 and the humble boltie. i know where each of them are best used, and i dont let some stupid prejudice tell me bolts are "teh winnaR mu57 never use anaything else!!". now about properly using a sniper, i hate all those snipers who when you tell them that they **** , say something like "look at my score bieotch im owning, im the best there ever was!", i think snipers shouldnt get points for killing riflemen, only points for machinegunners, squad leaders , engineers, and perhaps assaulters.

most of the time snipers are concerned with staying alive, andgetting the maximum kills, instead of doing whatever it takes to keep the enemyies heads down, and keep them thinking in they heads "theres a sniper over there so i should keep down". all the good snipers ive seen have always had a good priority list, starting with commander because his smoke, machinegunner , smgs, and lastly riflemen.

on a second note to all snipers IF YOU EVER USE YOUR PISTOL THEN YOUR TO f$%^@$^@#$^@$^&%$&%$&#%&$&!!!! CLOSE!!!, im sick and tired of seeing snipers up close, no dammnit the weapon is a long range weapon, and your better off with a rifle at point blank range!

snipers are the 1 class that make me beleive in some form of a training system.

Upvote 0
Let's face it, it is a fact that

* the SNIPER RIFLE is the quickest weapon to learn to use in the game!*

I've had enough of this "sniping is actually hard in RO because whiney whiney". No, it's not. Even if it's harder than in so many other games, it is still easier than using any other weapon - if you have any idea what you are doing, and most snipers do know that they are supposed to "hang back and shoot", you can rack up a great many kills. If the range is right, it requires a good marksman to kill even a poor sniper, but it does not require much from the sniper to kill even a good marksman. The scope does give a great advantage.

Sure, it requires expertise to master it, but so does every other weapon.

My opinions:

- SMGers are not expert until they learn to hip shoot an attacking squirrel from the air. A poor SMGer can be dangerous up close simply because of the rate of fire, but an expert SMGer can be a real terror.

- Bolters are not good until they learn to place their shots quickly and accurately. They also need to know how to use the bayonet. A poor bolt-action rifleman is dead meat, whilst an expert rifleman can be as effective as a good sniper, but will often lose to an expert sniper because they tend to share their preferred range (actually the sniper has a longer preferred range, which gives him a further advantage in large maps).

- Semi-auto riflemen have the advantage of better weaponry over the bolt-action rifleman, but they need to learn fire control and hip-shooting. Expert semi-auto riflemen are very dangerous, but so are expert bolt-action riflemen. There is a range where the bolt-action rifleman gets the advantage of his increased accuracy and wins over the semi-auto rifleman, but up close the bolter is in a disadvantage.

- MGers. Well, the truth be told, I have no idea what MGers do. I have not once used an MG in earnest in this game. I respect those who master the class, because, as I see it, it's all about position and keeping your head under fire as you simply lack such niceties as movement and ducking. Be as it may, it is obvious that the MG does require expertise. At least I mostly tend to meet bad MGers, who only die a lot.

- Snipers. As I said, it requires skill to be a good sniper, but even a poor sniper can be very lethal. Most battling in many maps is done at ranges where you don't even have to learn bullet drop, Odessa being one, so even poor snipers can have a field day against mediocre opponents.

- Flammenwerfers... Wait, we don't have flamethrowers in ROOST. :D

I usually tend to prefer the bolt-action rifle, but I respect all the other classes too. I can look in amazement when a good SMGer cuts a bloody swathe through the entire flank or when a good bolt-action man keeps dropping man after man, but a sniper has to be really, really good to get my respect. Most fail.

I'm not saying that snipers/marksmen should be removed from the game or anything as silly as that, but can't we all just agree that the scope DOES give an advantage? Why is it so hard to admit for many die-hard snipers? Because they want to think that they are doing the pwning simply because they have such "leet skillz"?

Upvote 0
Let's face it, it is a fact that

* the SNIPER RIFLE is the quickest weapon to learn to use in the game!*

I've had enough of this "sniping is actually hard in RO because whiney whiney". No, it's not. Even if it's harder than in so many other games, it is still easier than using any other weapon - if you have any idea what you are doing, and most snipers do know that they are supposed to "hang back and shoot", you can rack up a great many kills. If the range is right, it requires a good marksman to kill even a poor sniper, but it does not require much from the sniper to kill even a good marksman. The scope does give a great advantage.

Sure, it requires expertise to master it, but so does every other weapon.

My opinions:

- SMGers are not expert until they learn to hip shoot an attacking squirrel from the air. A poor SMGer can be dangerous up close simply because of the rate of fire, but an expert SMGer can be a real terror.

- Bolters are not good until they learn to place their shots quickly and accurately. They also need to know how to use the bayonet. A poor bolt-action rifleman is dead meat, whilst an expert rifleman can be as effective as a good sniper, but will often lose to an expert sniper because they tend to share their preferred range (actually the sniper has a longer preferred range, which gives him a further advantage in large maps).

- Semi-auto riflemen have the advantage of better weaponry over the bolt-action rifleman, but they need to learn fire control and hip-shooting. Expert semi-auto riflemen are very dangerous, but so are expert bolt-action riflemen. There is a range where the bolt-action rifleman gets the advantage of his increased accuracy and wins over the semi-auto rifleman, but up close the bolter is in a disadvantage.

- MGers. Well, the truth be told, I have no idea what MGers do. I have not once used an MG in earnest in this game. I respect those who master the class, because, as I see it, it's all about position and keeping your head under fire as you simply lack such niceties as movement and ducking. Be as it may, it is obvious that the MG does require expertise. At least I mostly tend to meet bad MGers, who only die a lot.

- Snipers. As I said, it requires skill to be a good sniper, but even a poor sniper can be very lethal. Most battling in many maps is done at ranges where you don't even have to learn bullet drop, Odessa being one, so even poor snipers can have a field day against mediocre opponents.

- Flammenwerfers... Wait, we don't have flamethrowers in ROOST. :D

I usually tend to prefer the bolt-action rifle, but I respect all the other classes too. I can look in amazement when a good SMGer cuts a bloody swathe through the entire flank or when a good bolt-action man keeps dropping man after man, but a sniper has to be really, really good to get my respect. Most fail.

I'm not saying that snipers/marksmen should be removed from the game or anything as silly as that, but can't we all just agree that the scope DOES give an advantage? Why is it so hard to admit for many die-hard snipers? Because they want to think that they are doing the pwning simply because they have such "leet skillz"?

Very good post

Upvote 0
On the issue of good vs. bad snipers, I think the REAL reason people are disdainful of sniper rifle fans is (A) it's typically viewed as the "newbie" weapon (IE: the one weapon EVERY newbie covets), and (B) because people have VERY different notions of what makes a "good" sniper.

To a lot of people, a "good" sniper is one who is accurate and kills a lot of people. Period.

To me, a good sniper is someone who can do the above, but who kills a lot of the RIGHT people, like MGers who are locking down approaches, enemy snipers who are picking off defenders, squad leaders calling arty or tipping the balance in a cap zone, etc.

I actually think a sniper who just wants to get ZOMG MORE LEET KILLZORZ!! is a bad sniper, even if he's racking up the points. Why? Because ANY rifleman can do that, but only the sniper can spot the priority targets and pick them off before they get into range to do damage, OR to take out those really pesky enemies who are preventing the team from winning.

Upvote 0
I second the earlier comment about the Jude Law/Ed Harris fanboyz out there who think being a 133T SNIPA is all about what they've seen in the movies- I'm a tanker, but I know enough to know that it's not about having the coolest rifle.

OTOH, as a tanker, I often take Tigers when I can get them because in a way THEY are the sniper of the tank family- they can reach out and touch Ivan before he knows you're there sometimes (and other times Ivan sneaks up on you and ventilates your hull). As a result of TIGAH POWWA I get TK'd a LOT by nOObs who think Tigers are the ultimate battlefield weapon- little do they know it takes some amount of skill to properly employ that particular tank and 9 times out of 10 they run it into a T-34 Circle of Death and then whine that Tigers are sooooo under-armored.

Just like a Sniper slot, taking a Tiger onto the field is sometimes a lonely business because you know that a) you can't really handle an awful lot of close combat against multiple opponents, and b) whenever you're spotted you're sure to get extra attention from Stalin's meatpuppets. If you can employ the weapon (sniper rifle or Tiger tank) properly, you can do an awful lot of damage in a short time- by the same token, if you stink at using the weapon you're going to have a lot of quick trips back to the spawn area. Best to let Those Who Know take the weapon and do some good for the team.

Upvote 0
Sniper in public, I play clan battles mostly and there it's all for the teamplay. As for public play, I usually ignore sniper class, because semi-automatic is the best weapon in ROOST. Semi-Sniper is the most useful weapon/class for short range combat, the bolt sniper rifle is for those really long range maps, where u need the most from accuracy. Simply put more shots with high rate of fire ---> more enemies down, for cost of accuracy and speed, but not that much that it's weak.

But back to point. Very rarely I have met in public very weak snipers and when my team is very weak and I know the opposite side has very good defence and players. I really hate some maps when our sniper doesn't do it's job and just doesn't kill anyone. Then sometimes I get really pissed and either TK his weapon and take out the mg's, enemy snipers and really mess the defence or attacking force. But I have only done this like 2-3 times, and that is when I really see that the player is weak and would be much more useful as normal fodder :D

But I think everyone who gets the sniper first should try it and learn to play it. It isn't so easy as people think. Okay it has the greatest range for spotting enemy and killing them, but for really good use it should really rack to those kills, it's the most effective weapon after semi-automatic in the game and in some situations more effective than any weapon in the game. Some maps do need good use of sniper for the offensive side or you just can't win. Makhnovo Village is good example, custom map, but some of the hardest maps for axis side to attack when the soviets just need to sit in building and pick of attaking infranty easily and the attackers have really long range from spawn to get to capzone...enough ranting...'nuff said...

Upvote 0