• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

High(er) Res is amazing

Got my 7800GS and now I play at 1280x1024. I would play at 1600x1280, but the refresh rate is really low at that point since I got a CRT. Besides, I don't feel the need to. It's really awesome. Lots of fun

I also have a CRT, <boo>, a Hewlett Crappard at that. Anyway, I run 2 evga 7900 GT's SLI and this game looks and runs INCREDIBLE @ 1027x768.

I look forward to getting a new monitor sometime. High Def for sure. Until then.... I still love this game and it looks great.

Upvote 0
I play RO at 1280x1024 with 2x FSAA and 8x AF on a 19" CRT @ about 40-45fps using a 6800GT. On a map like Arad, I can bump it up to 1600x1200 with 4x FSAA, but in infantry maps, the framerate is completely unacceptable, so I keep it at 1280x1024.

RO's graphics are unique. I think special attention is given to the map design. The artists really do a great job making a beautiful looking game out of a semi-dated engine. Maps like Danzig are really a golden gem in terms of gameplay and graphics. I'd kill to upgrade to a new Conroe system with a new graphics card, but everything is so expensive nowadays. I'd have to get a new CPU, mobo, ram, power supply, and video card. Only my sound card, hard drive, disk drives, and case would be reuseable. :(

Oh well. RO is an excellent looking game and it runs well. DOD used to play like a champ, but I've noticed over time that the framerate has really dropped in DOD, I guess due to the hit registration changes.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm a high resolution whore. I run pretty much everything with the exception being some newest of the new games on 1600x1200. 4:3 FTW!

But what do you guys think is better? 1600x1200 or a slightly lower but widescreen resolution? Just curious. I get why widescreen matters for movies and such, but for gaming it has never really made much difference to me. But then, my widescreening has been limited to 1280x732 or whatever it is on my laptop. So...thoughts on widescreen over higher 4:3 for gaming?

Upvote 0
I must be the only person who plays with the proper 1280x960. I never understood how people can use 1280x1024...

1280x1024 ain't that bad sure its a 5:4 ratio instead of 4:3 but whats the problem with that. With ro you don't get a warped image.

And although i might play at a high resolution i got a crt aswell, and bought it for 50 euros ;o. Its not like you need to be rich to get a reasonable monitor.

Upvote 0
1600x1200, 20,1" TFT, maximum settings. This game looks gorgeous.

BTW, very true experience...my old friend and comrade in arms LukeFF used to tank with me after I got my 20" TFT. Both sitting in the same tank, it was very clear that higher resolution is a distinct advantage when it comes to picking out far-off tank or infantry shapes. Now he has a 1600x1200 20" too ;)

The best thing about high resolution is that you can reduce FSAA and it will be about the same FPS as lower resolution with higher FSAA. I went from 1024x768 4xFSAA to 1600x1200 2xFSAA, and it's the same framerate, just much more visible detail.

Upvote 0
I play it on a 24" Wide Sony CRT

1280x720

No FPS Killing(aa/af) 4x or 8x; My PC is a 4 year old Upgraded and Milked to the max machine.

Looks fantastic
Even if I reduced details to get more FPS out of my game.

I am jalous at all you people who play it with 1900xwhatever res with over 60FPS

I need myself a new pc, a laptop, a new 22" LCD (the 24"Crt is HUUUUGE (The V8 Of Electronics))

But.... Money money money...
I need to respect my buffer zone:D

Cheers to RO... The best Multiplayer FPS

Upvote 0
Newbie Question: I tested my FPS yesterday and it's always between 60-80.

But what bothers me A LOT is that I still see most of the soldiers warping around, be it on NA or Euro Servers...

Anybody have a clue why?

Thanks in advance.

Afcourse the most easy answer wold be if it were your internet connection make sure you don't have any packetloss. (happends alot with wireless connections) just press f6 as you know.

Anyway other reasons for warping is lack of a acces to stuff like corrupted memory (although you should get glitches then, lack of memory) or some badly defragmented harddisc.

Just make sure, reduce mouse lag and mouse smoothing are both set to off. As they can cause a real lag feeling. And if you don't have alot of ram make sure precaching is set to off (although that could cause the lag at the beginning of the level). Also make sure nothing is running in the background and all drivers are up to date.

But try first putting mouse smoothing and reduce mouse lag to off, and defragmenting your harddisc :)

Upvote 0
Afcourse the most easy answer wold be if it were your internet connection make sure you don't have any packetloss. (happends alot with wireless connections) just press f6 as you know.

Anyway other reasons for warping is lack of a acces to stuff like corrupted memory (although you should get glitches then, lack of memory) or some badly defragmented harddisc.

Just make sure, reduce mouse lag and mouse smoothing are both set to off. As they can cause a real lag feeling. And if you don't have alot of ram make sure precaching is set to off (although that could cause the lag at the beginning of the level). Also make sure nothing is running in the background and all drivers are up to date.

But try first putting mouse smoothing and reduce mouse lag to off, and defragmenting your harddisc :)
Thanks! :D

I had already checked packetloss with F6 and it's all good there, all mouse smoothing/mouse lag are set to 0, I have two gigs of RAM, a 75% empty HD defragged (I'm a defrag freak :D). :)

It might be the video driver: I use the nvidia ForceWare 84.21, is it outdated already?

Brings up to mind two other questions:
I'm wondering if you need to update drivers though you only play one game? and what drivers the other nvidia RO players use?

Upvote 0
Thanks! :D

I had already checked packetloss with F6 and it's all good there, all mouse smoothing/mouse lag are set to 0, I have two gigs of RAM, a 75% empty HD defragged (I'm a defrag freak :D). :)

It might be the video driver: I use the nvidia ForceWare 84.21, is it outdated already?

Brings up to mind two other questions:
I'm wondering if you need to update drivers though you only play one game? and what drivers the other nvidia RO players use?

Both nvidia and ati allow you to put a driver in the folder where the executable of the program you run is. Aka for ro you can put the actual improtant driver stuff in the system folder and itll use that driver isntead of the one installed. Outdated drivers don't matter if you play just 1 game, if it aint broke don't fix it. But if as in your case ppl warp around something is broke and you should try to fix it.

Anyway before you do anything check all background programs first, warping occurs most on a single core cpu or a single harddisc. with another program taking up resources and those programs can be the weirdest things you ever thought up. Especially music players that idle in the background without you knowing it can be bad.

Upvote 0
My 2 pfennig's worth:

I'm running RO on a new Dell XPS410, Dual COre CPU at 2.8something, 1 gig of RAM and a Nvidia 7800something card- with my 19" flat panel set at 1280x1024.

Everything looks great and I don't have many warping problems except when I'm on wayyyy offshore servers; I usually get between 55-80 FPS, according to both FRAPS and the in-game FPS counter.

I haven't done *much* tweaking, other than very basic stuff in the Tweak Guide on this forum, and most of what I've done relates to all the precaching stuff.

I'm wondering though (and maybe this belongs in a different thread) how exactly does one go about wringing extra FPS out of a video card? I've seen references all the time about 'overclocking' and all that but I have no idea how to even start. Any ideas, or a pointer to a thread already on that topic?

Upvote 0
Games based on the unreal engines are really sensitve beside that most videocards come kinda overclocked out of the factory already (look at those monstrous heatsinks :X) Overclocking usually results pretty fast in graphical problems with the ut engine.

Anyway trying will usually cause no harm, with nvidia cards just do a google on the term "coolbits" that should give you your answer on how to overclock.

Anyway unreal engines run really great, but red orchestra is one of the worst games when you're tweaking to game to gain speed. usually no ingame settings matters at all for the FPS your getting.

Upvote 0
Both nvidia and ati allow you to put a driver in the folder where the executable of the program you run is. Aka for ro you can put the actual improtant driver stuff in the system folder and itll use that driver isntead of the one installed. Outdated drivers don't matter if you play just 1 game, if it aint broke don't fix it. But if as in your case ppl warp around something is broke and you should try to fix it.

Anyway before you do anything check all background programs first, warping occurs most on a single core cpu or a single harddisc. with another program taking up resources and those programs can be the weirdest things you ever thought up. Especially music players that idle in the background without you knowing it can be bad.
Thanks again! :)

About putting the driver in the folder where the executable is, does it mean I should simply re-install the driver in:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System ?

Anything other specific driver configuration I need to do after that?

Upvote 0
if you don't know how to make your driver use a certain thing for just one program don't bother trying, first you must make sure you're having a driver problem at all ;), and then find out that you need different drivers for different games for the use of drivers in the system folders to be usable (never used it with nvidia though been an ati user since the 9700 era). But the biggest probability is that the driver aint the problem but its always worth a try (if you get a new driver always update directx at thesame time, they need to be of the same period always).

Just make sure you clean everything properly and update correctly (like use www.drivercleaner.net to clean the old driver, and for tweak of drivers for nvidia hardware check www.nvnews.net)

Upvote 0