• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design draw distance

LaughingTerror

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2006
Where is the setting to change the fog distance. Or the draw distance. I have redone arad to use the full map. This is between a 33% to 50% increase in map area. But I want to open the fog distance so the long range shots that are now available can be seen and made. I have area's that can have a shot well over the 1000 meter it has now but can't see the enemy tank at that distance.

The setting to change the fog distance is in your main level zone info actor under properties--->zone light.
Here there are various options but the main ones are DistanceFogEnd and DistanceFogStart.
For Riga Docks I have mine set up starting at 5000 & ending on 12500.
Another thing to note is the DistanceFogColour - there are quite a few maps out there that completely ignore this setting - basically this colour should be the same colour as your sky ring so everything blends into the background seamlessly - a common error I see is mappers copy/pasting a sky box from one level with a brownish skyring for example (such as Konigsplatz) and setting the fog colour to something blue and it looks really bad because distant trees look almost white.
To illustrate this effect - two examples.

http://download.redorchestratr.com/screens/kryukovo/RedOrchestra 2006-12-01 19-40-08-14.jpg
http://www.after-hourz.com/misc/slyk/ro/M1937_2.jpg

If the distance fog start/end settings are correctly set up you will benefit from zero popping of distant objects.
Another thing to bear in mind is that the frustum view is spherical so if you turn left or right you will often see the stuff popping in and out of view left or right of the screen so it may be a good idea to set these distant objects say 500 -1000 units beyond the distancefogend setting.
Also remember if you have interiors that are zoned off - copy paste the zone info you have for the outside and place these in your zones - this way you get consistent zone information translating correctly to other zones in your map

Hope this helps a little

Lruce

Upvote 0
okkaayy i rly dont see what i said to be rly hard to understand. If you make the fog closer to you using the Zoneinfo the map meters infront starts to not show. So i was asking if there is a way to get any fog but without the terrain infront not showing.

So you mean ground fog.

No, you can't flip the fog settings to work on X / Y planar - fog is programmed to produce a fog layer in front of you on the Z axis to simulate ariel perspective and just so happenes to be a very useful tool for optimization as well.

Lruce

Upvote 0
Ok so the view distance settings in MyLevel and the fog settings are two different thing obviously. What I found on Orel is that I could extend the view distance without a massive performance hit, as I think it is a render based setting. With the fog distance I could reduce the fog down to about 16384 distance (~400m - Orel is around 250000x250000UU or 5kmx5km) and not get much performance increase.

What allowed me the most increase in performance was making sure that ALL of the statics in Orel have the cull distance set. So trees are at 110000UU, bushes around 32000UU small trees 65536 etc. If you leave the cull distance at 0 the engine thinks it need to be drawn even if the fog distance is set quite low, so the static mesh gets fed all the way through the engine and render pipeline until it is overdrawn with fog in the graphics card Zbuffer. If the cull distance is set to something other than 0 it gets removed from the pipeline much ealier in the the process so it really does increase performance.

Upvote 0