• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

R&L trailer!

I've played HL2 mods considerably, usually for ****s and giggles and I have to say IMO it's not a great engine for MP. I certainly don't have that much confidence in it's accuracy when it comes to hit detection or anything else. I'm probably a little biased and I really don't like the silly physics in MP when it's nothing more than "candy" on a map.

Upvote 0
The Source engine is an excellent engine for multiplayer. I can't seem to think of a better choice. Of course everyone here is probably at least a little biased towards Unreal.

I love people who complain about hitboxes in CSS or any other game for that matter, because of course it is not their shooting ability that is in question, but the game must be at fault. :D

Upvote 0
source doesn't handle high ping enviroments very smoothly. It might handle them well technically but you are very aware everyone is lagging. In an unreal based game you could be running at a 200 ping and still not feel the lag though you'll notice your shots have delays.

Upvote 0
True. While you can perform much better in source on high pings, your game "feels" better in Unreal on high pings. In a server with everyone pinging low in CS:S, everything feels fine. The reason most RO members complain about the source engine is because they played DoD:S, which has the worst cone of fire of any game I've seen, and a 60 damage chest shot garand.

Just try out PVKII, the only reason that game will lag is because

A) Too many people fill the server, which isn't that powerful

B) There are many physics objects, some which are purposefully interactable, and the pirate kegs cause sudden physics "bursts"

C) The mod has a lag issue which is being patched.

Other than that, if you play on a server with ~6-12 people, you will notice NO LAG. And it's a melee-heavy game. You definately notice lag in melee heavy games.

Upvote 0
Still, the prediction system ****s
Did you even watch that video?

even with pings that are a lot lower than in RO, it lags for me.
UE lags like any other engine. It's just difficult to spot because client input doesn't rely on the server. We've all found ourselves creeping around maps for five minutes before we notice that everybody else is walking into walls and our weapons don't need to be reloaded any more: it's because the server has lagged out, but that fact isn't affecting our ability to move around.

When you're lagging in Source/Quake on the other hand, it's incredibly obvious. While that does lead to misconceptions like yours, it's a VERY good thing for gameplay.

Also, pings are different between the engines. Compare lists and you'll see that Source servers have far lower reported latencies. It's not because the RO community rents crappy machines. ;)

Upvote 0