• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

"Microsoft hopes that PC gaming (under the 'Games for Windows' banner) will become less intimidating to mainstream consumers -- no longer will the PC games isle be a cluttered mess of disparate titles."

Are they serious?

-Disparate
Fundamentally distinct or different in kind; entirely dissimilar:

Yes, who cares about variety, lets all just play EA sequels for the rest of forever.
What is meant here has nothing to do with a variety among different games. What

Upvote 0
If I have to pay a subscription to play Microsoft games on multiplayer, I'll give up their corporate trust and stick with Valve's newly formed corporate trust with the likes of 3d Realms, Sierra, and Activision. The enemy you know, right?

That has my total support, to be sure.

While multiplayer is a splendid feature of gaming, it isn't something that warrants being subscribed to, especially with the afterthought nature of so much of the multiplayer side of so many games.

Upvote 0
The development of 3D gaming hardware and DX are made hand in hand. No one can survive without the other and the purpose of one is the using of the other.

The OGL is not flexible enought. This means that you cannot change so quickliy the OGL specifications as the hardware evolves. OGL has another target as DX. You cannot build CAD stations which get replaced each 6 months.

In my opinion OGL will never be and it *should* not be considered a good interface for gaming graphics. It will just slow down the mass 3d development.

http://www.ryanbreheny.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Shot00089.jpg

looks ok to me :p

The best mod for ut2004 is redorchestra i love(d) it , there are only 4 servers now tho :( .

I demand ostfront be ported to linux !! xD

Upvote 0
OGL looks good to me too.
10.jpg

Let's compare it to what is concidered "the thing" with DX

09.jpg

hmmm I'll thake the OGL to go ok.

Upvote 0
I demand ostfront be ported to linux !! xD
Demand that Steam be ported to Linux, then RO should run fine :p

I'm not planning on upgrading to Vista any time soon.
I also don't expect D3D10 to magically make all games look 10 times better. I actually find it quite amusing that Microsoft is saying that Direct3D was so poorly designed to begin with that after 9 releases it is 6-8 times slower than it should be. No one seems to notice that part. :)

The new operating system will be a major gaming platform release because it includes DirectX 10, an upgraded and rebuilt collection of APIs that, according to Microsoft, will offer six to eight times the graphics performance of DirectX 9.0.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6143883/index.html
Emphasized the important parts.

Upvote 0
I never bought a Windows :D

And I use Windows2k... that way my pc ONLY has the drivers that I NEED.
I did like XP but Microsoft got smart and bugged me with my key not being genuine or whatnot... even if there is a fix... I didnt feel like bothering with it...

Win2k is doing a fine job in my book... so why the hell should anyone buy Vista when XP is doing a fantastic job so far.

Ill give microsoft some money for windows when I have a company that requires a company computer with windows and perhaps windows server.

As an individual... baaaaaaa

Upvote 0
windows and ea games are much alike, the both are playing like its a game of mortal combat and you have to kill all the others. microsoft bought out and killed westwood studios the makers of the great command and conquer series, they bought out that rpg ultima online, and from what ive heard from the players, its now screwed. microsoft does the same thing, always trying to go for everyone elses throats and close them down. im almost worried ea games may set thier sights on Twi 1 or 2 games down the road when they notice a bigger fanbase beggning to gather.

Upvote 0
I feel generally the same way about Vista as most of you do but only after I started reading up on the hoops and loops MS will make it's honest traditional custmers jump through. They crossing too many lines with this one IMHO. At first I was all excited about Vista and it's killer apps like Crisis w/Dx10 etc but after reading up on Vista's monopolistic nature I felt a big let down.

My main beef is the fact is that most of us that like to upgrade frequently (i.e. MS's best customers) will be chastised by being "forced" to ask M$ for permission to re-validate our paid-for OSs every time we upgrade our hard drives, motherboards, graphics cards etc etc. This is just freaking stupid IMHO and will backfire on them.

Where M$ is trully shooting itself in the foot is by making XP TOO DAMN GOOD. Because M$ finally got it right and make a stable OS that works the way it should, it will have a hard time selling Vista with just some 3D interface eye candy and one or two killer apps or games. That will not cut it IMHO.

Give me one damn good reason to upgrade and pay over $200 for Vista Premium? or $400 for Vista Ultimate? Do I hear crickets chirping? Yeah, I thought so.

Yes I agree that Linux is far from perfect and still not ready for prime time but I do wish somebody could unify all the Distros and make it work and support it. That is what linux needs. Uniformity and conformity and new-user friendly KISS factor.

Regarless though as my only real option is to stick with XP Home. And XP Home is all I really need my friends. Take that to the bank.

We are at the middle of a consumer crossroad in that M$ is trying force their hand down our throats and Linux is still not ready for prime time and still not supported by the hardware and software industry. We have only one option.

Those of us with common sense and who know the history of the PC now understand that we are on our own. Hopefully the rest of the marketplace will recognize this fact and continue to support the mainstream bread and butter legacy generation instead of touting the gee-whiz, buy it now New Cola crowd. As they will soon learn where the real money is.

Upvote 0