• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tanks must crush those wooden barriers

ozgurak87

Dec 2, 2006
Ok so, i know this has been a matter of debate before; like this was an engine limitation and it couldn't be implemented; but i have a bright and shining idea!:p
Well, as far i can see no one who wants to see this implemented are talking about implementing aegia or some uber physics engine that the wooden barriers crash down slowly or every little itsy bitsy splinter of them interct with the enviroment. All we need is this; two status for wooden barrier:

1-)Barrier is intact

2-)Barrier is crushed

And when a tank hits the thing, it changes to the second status, may be with a little cover of smoke effect (the one come out of exhaust when you start the tank)

bottom line: I just want my damn 60 TON TANK not to stop to death when it hit one of those ricketty wooden chopsticks!

Come on, it can be done, it HAS been done with the same engine, even in this very game. The destroyable walls and doors work the same way that i'm talkin about. Also, i'm sure someone has played brothers in arms, it uses the unreal engine too. Remember there was a level where a stuart tank can shove through the roadblock made with tree trunks. There was no physics calculations there too, just two status 1-intact, 2-crushed.

What do you guys think? I really think when an Iosef Stalin-2 or Tiger tank stops in front of these toothpicks with a voice "BANG!", while playing the game in front of my friends, it HUMILIATES this great game and its great community to death.

Last edited:
Thanks for the wise, polite, welcoming, yet enlightening reply bud.

So it means we have to watch this comedy of wooden barriers, (yet enduring it with the love we had for the game) since "it had been merged zabazubawhateverzillion times before". So be it...

I'm sorry for being an as*hat, it must be snowless winter we have here pissing me off.

But I never claimed that we should stick with the existing system, actually vice versa. It's really frustrating when fritz/ivan hides behind those picket fences and I can't run over them.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if the proposed system would alleviate the problem.

It still sounds like destructible terrain, or having the barriers act like "actors" of some kind that the game has to keep track of. Even if it's a binary-state actor (IE: alive vs. dead), it's still an extra thing for the engine to track

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if the proposed system would alleviate the problem.

It still sounds like destructible terrain, or having the barriers act like "actors" of some kind that the game has to keep track of. Even if it's a binary-state actor (IE: alive vs. dead), it's still an extra thing for the engine to track

i don't know so much about the techical stuff but what i and u described are called i think destructible mesh, and yes you may be right. If the workload it loads on the engine is not manageble, or not worth the outcome, then i think completely removing those wooden fences would be the best solution.

Hey, why are they there for, anyway?
Decorating the map? Then a hedge of sprite model bushes that we can go through can finally end our torment. (infantry can still hide behind them too:) )

Upvote 0
This could also work with moveable brushes. The destroyed portion would reside "off map" and then be activated to move into place when the intact portion is bumped by a vehicle. Because the destroyed portion would move into place during one frame, the action would seem instantaneous to the human eye.

However, again, placing a ton of moveable brushes in a level would put a strain on the engine...:(

We'll just have to wait for RO to come out on UE 3.0, or on some other engine like Crysis, that has a more advanced physics engine, or crumple effects.

Upvote 0
Destructible meshes - I made a map with about 30 of them once, and it bogged down my framerates so hard.

Can't work. Would be nice, but it can't.

Are the walls and doors on stalingrad destructible meshes too? I thought the same idea would go there.

If we can't have destructible wooden fences they should replace them with sprite hedges to go through. If the idea of going through is not welcome then at least they should be replaced by solid walls, because stucking to these with an heavy tank looks really ridicilous.

Upvote 0
So why not have ALL of Granny's fences made into 'sprites' or whatever it is that the bigger bushes are classed as? I mean, they don't stop vehicle movement, and unless it's a REALLY tall picket fence it's not much of an obstacle for foot movement, and it can still provide concealment if not actual cover.

So what if the 'mesh' itself is still standing once my Tiger crashes through it? Just consider what's left of the fence to be providing the same concelment as before; it's a much better solution than a totally unrealistic unbreakable picket fence.

Upvote 0
So why not have ALL of Granny's fences made into 'sprites' or whatever it is that the bigger bushes are classed as? I mean, they don't stop vehicle movement, and unless it's a REALLY tall picket fence it's not much of an obstacle for foot movement, and it can still provide concealment if not actual cover.

So what if the 'mesh' itself is still standing once my Tiger crashes through it? Just consider what's left of the fence to be providing the same concelment as before; it's a much better solution than a totally unrealistic unbreakable picket fence.
That would be ugly as hell. Not to mention the complete loss of immersion as you see a tank roll through a fence leaving it unscathed.

Upvote 0
Another problem, is that once you have wooden fences with destroyable status, people will ask why those sandbags can't be run over, and why their tank can't run over that puny stone wall, or why their apc can't crash through the side of that barn..

Then you get people asking why satchel charges don't blow up the fences or buildings, and everything just cascades like a waterfall...

Upvote 0
Another problem, is that once you have wooden fences with destroyable status, people will ask why those sandbags can't be run over, and why their tank can't run over that puny stone wall, or why their apc can't crash through the side of that barn..

Then you get people asking why satchel charges don't blow up the fences or buildings, and everything just cascades like a waterfall...

You are totally right!
If a feature like this is implemented it will only be the thin edge of the wedge. Soon people will want other positive features. Improvements will cascade like a waterfall.
We can not let this happen!

/sarcasm

Upvote 0