• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do I need Steam?

Yes , you need steam, that is the backside to RO, but steam isnt really half as bad as some rumors would have it.

Steam itself is a very small download, only 1 MB or something, but you also need to update RO to the newest version, which includes a couple of new maps, vehicles and weapons, and this update is a little bigger. However, you would have needed that to play online even if it didnt use steam..

So the downsides to steam is basically 1 mb download, and the fact that you have to start and login to steam to play RO. The upside(to steam) is that the game will update itself etc.

Upvote 0
I bought the cd and went about installing it. Oops gotta have the steam dl also? Is there a way to play single just with the cd. I removed RO and all related with it. But it will not let me install without all the other stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Majik

I dont know why people fear/hate steam so much. It is a great program that is really helping make PC gaming competitive again. It allows smaller companies like TWI to produce games without hooking up with companies like EA and losing there vision in the process.

Anyway, yes you need it and there isnt really a point playing ROOST offline. Offline mode is just the MP maps with bots. Use steam and play the game online, thats where the fun is.

Upvote 0
Since you want to play RO without Steam I can only assume that you have either been at the bad end of a previous version of Steam or you have heard the stories.

The current version of Steam that you recieve with RO is the latest version, and along with its higher version number, it suprizingly doesn't carry with it any of the old Steam bugs.

Despite having to login, which isn't that bad, and having Steam running in the background, which doesn't use up as mush juice as it looks like it does, Steam is proving to be a wonderful thing.

Steam will autoupdate all of your attached games, which for RO is like Nirvana since TW updates RO around every one or two months.

So dont worry about Steam, let it install with open arms, if you have any problems you can ask here in the forums and I'm sure someone will be glad to help you out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, Steam has proven itself useful in so many ways....

For example, it never would be stupid enough to deprive hundreds of thousands of people of their paid-for games simply because of some weather, would it?

Or, you know, hog unnecessary memory?

Or, having to have it on at all, aside from auto-updates...

I'm sorry, but Steam's recent SNAFU just goes to show what happens when we all rely on a centralized game distribution system.

Upvote 0
Steam is a mb download.

Then "Updating Steam Platform"

While its running, its drinking about 30 megs of ram.
Sometime it likes to get stuck in the background...
You notice when you try to open it and does nothing
Ctrl Alt Del
Processes
Steam
End Process

"Steam has encountered an illigal operation
Do you want to tell microsoft about it ?
Send ? or dont send?

(Dont send... its none of microsoft's business)

Restart Steam

Everything is running fantastic.

Games, double click on RO

"Updating RO"

Every month or so, this step repeats. :D
Either Steam, Either CS... or Pray, or some interesting racing simulation.

I think it offers some nice games
I found RO thanks to it :p

But in the end, it does a good job.
Everything is always updated...

You do not suffer from the bugged updates, you just get a program hogging a bit of performance out of the game if you only have 512mb ram

I like it, I have had little problems with it.

We all know however... if Skynet goes down, we get angry

It runs great with a decent old Amd and lots of ram :)
Tho I just open it when I need it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, Steam has proven itself useful in so many ways....

For example, it never would be stupid enough to deprive hundreds of thousands of people of their paid-for games simply because of some weather, would it?

Or, you know, hog unnecessary memory?

Or, having to have it on at all, aside from auto-updates...

I'm sorry, but Steam's recent SNAFU just goes to show what happens when we all rely on a centralized game distribution system.

Steam uses a smaller memory footprint than my internet browser. Unless you are still using 64mbs of RAM, you shouldnt have to worry about it.

And I never had any trouble with any of my games during the storm outage. You make it sound like just "weather" ... but in the region they recorded hurricane force winds.

Upvote 0
The memory usage is I agree pretty irrelevant, however you're missing the point about the "weather" Its irrelevan whether the weather (mmm is that good English?) was a slight breeze or a full blown hurricane, the effect was that many thousands of people could not play the games they had paid for.

Also, because of the necessity to log in to steam, there are many other potential "opportunities" for steam to deprive me and others of the right to play my games, not all of them controllable or attributal to steam themseles, for example, loss of internet connection.

Other issues, such as loss of config files etc appear to be preventing people logging in, solving these problems requires some knowledge of how the game and PC work, and/or connection to this forum :cool: Such issues should not stop someone playing the games they have paid for.

However there are of course benefits to steam, wilst it is working it is very useful indeed.

Upvote 0
What you all are missing is that it is using memory. Period.

I have 1.5 gigs of RAM, I'm not worried that much. I'm just mad on principle, that's all.

And yes, DEFCON had it right. Auto-updates are nice, as is recovering games. It isn't nice when I have to log in to a program that spams ads, crashes frequently, uses memory, and often autoupdates other games while I am playing RO.

Upvote 0
What you all are missing is that it is using memory. Period.

I have 1.5 gigs of RAM, I'm not worried that much. I'm just mad on principle, that's all.

And yes, DEFCON had it right. Auto-updates are nice, as is recovering games. It isn't nice when I have to log in to a program that spams ads, crashes frequently, uses memory, and often autoupdates other games while I am playing RO.

besides the ads I have never had any of those problems. Steam has never crashed on me (well not since ROOST was released, we all know about the beta steam) and I have never seen it start updating while I am playing a game. When I start steam sure but I often just pause the download until later. As for the memory I really dont care, I have enough ram to take care of it and I am sure we all have programs running in the backround that we know nothing about that are using more memory then steam.

I also really do think things like steam are the feature of PC gaming. I dont think instore games on CD and with boxes will last alot longer. Not when companies big and small and save massive amounts of money releasing there content this way. When publishers have to decide if producing a game for the PC is worth it considering the same game on the console will sell much better, things like steam will make the difference and keep PC gaming alive. They also allow small dev teams like TWI and others to produce great products for alot less and it allows us the consumer to see some of the most interesting games around, stuff that a big publisher wouldnt touch. Like defcon for example, I cant picture EA publishing that but steam did it and now I have one more cool game to play. There also alot cheaper then the 70 dollars I get charged in store.

Upvote 0
Wrong. I know about everything happening on my computer. Steam is unnecessary usage of 28,860K RAM.
13MB for me, 35MB at peak.
Hardly that much.
Hell, Winamp 2 uses 24MB, mIRC uses 10MB, xFire uses 12MB, my CPU monitoring program uses 14MB.
MSN Messenger: 15MB
mp3 player background software: 13MB
13MB for Steam is not even close to unreasonable, in fact it's pretty average, and allows you quick access to a variety of games. Very handy IMO.

Upvote 0
13MB for me, 35MB at peak.
Hardly that much.
Hell, Winamp 2 uses 24MB, mIRC uses 10MB, xFire uses 12MB, my CPU monitoring program uses 14MB.
MSN Messenger: 15MB
mp3 player background software: 13MB
13MB for Steam is not even close to unreasonable, in fact it's pretty average, and allows you quick access to a variety of games. Very handy IMO.

And your point is? Turn that stuff off, and get a small increase in load times.

It's like how Sony countered the rootkit scandal by saying "Well, most people don't even know what a rootkit is, so why care?"

I run ZoneAlarm. That's it. Maybe AIM.

Turn off unnecessary stuff.

Upvote 0