• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Loading Screen !

I found this post in another thread (2006 WW2 Magasines or something)

Why did you guys dump all those great load screens and start menu+music? They were far superior to what we have now in everyway. Much of the class and atmosphere is gone because of that. Now we have load screens that only serve to confuse new players by showing a different map than they are currently loading and providing zero hints or tips + the old screen(s) just looked classy. Using game screenshots for the load screens would make more sense if it was a screenshot of the actual map loading. Now I admit that RO wasn't hard for me to get the hang of because I'm a veteran of online realistic/semi-realistic FPS's but for other prospective players hints & tips on the load screens would go a long way toward reducing the clueless noob syndrome (learning curve) without impacting how the game actually plays.

I agree 200% on that one.

I think I made a suggestion for this when I just started playing... but nothing came of it so I let it go... :p

I personally think it would be VERY nice if the loading screens would be "By Map"
Maybe even add the objective map in small somewere over the main screenshot of the map...

As for custom map... maybe a random screen or a custom screen that will say RO Custom map (or something similar yet eye candyish)

That would be pretty pointless since you only see the loading screen for like... 15 seconds.

Some people have to wait more than 15 seconds to get into the battle, not everyone has a fast connection.

And even seeing a screenshot of the actual level loading for even three seconds would be more than enough for someone to recognize what map is loading, some of the map names in RO can be pretty difficult to memorize.

I think proper level loading screens, and even an objective list, map, or historical information, should be added soon. It wont effect actual gameplay, and I seriosuly doubt it would take ages to implement.

Upvote 0
I'd settle for a loading bar so that people have an idea how much longer they have to wait before getting in game. But having the loading screen reflect the actual map that is going to be played along with tips is a good idea. Besides this would be the art departments responsibility so it wouldn't take away from other aspects of updates.

The lack of a loading bar has always been a pet peeve of mine though.

Upvote 0
I'd rather see the time, effort and resources go to more weapons, vehicles and subtle fixes. :cool:
Well these took me maybe less than one hour to make. You'd rather have subtle fixes worked on rather than obvious ones such as this done first:confused:

Anyway, it's clear to me I'm beating a dead horse pushing for better load & menu screens + menu music so I'll stop.

Upvote 0
Anyway, it's clear to me I'm beating a dead horse pushing for better load & menu screens + menu music so I'll stop.
No, don't feel like that. This thread was started because someone agrees with you and your own poll shows over 77% in favour.
I prefer the sepia tinted 3rd picture, the old photo idea has been used before in cod IIRC, but thats not a big deal. At least you are putting effort into what you believe- keep at it. (that sounds patronising when typed but im not trying to be)
I too think it would be right if map loading screens indicated the map you are joining, as said by PermenantMarker and others.

As for menu music- stuff like the panzerlied and similar wartime marches has been suggested and i agree. Phaps with a crackly wireless broadcast effect.

I dont have a problem with the menu screen, but a TW competition for community members to come up with a new one would be a nice touch. Then no-one has to worry that 'TW are tied up making loading screens when they should be making guns etc.'

Upvote 0
Lol I usually see them for less than 8 seconds.

And 8 seconds is more than enough for a player to go: "Omg, what map is this again?"

It may not last on the screen very long, but its going to help a LOT of players, especially new players, 8 seconds or not.

Besides, it not like were debating the creation of a new map or a vehicle here, the guys down at TW could probably do this in their sleep.

Upvote 0
I agree 100% that this is a great idea and a missing 'piece' of the whole pie. It would be up to the mapper to insert their own image(s) and if they don't, then there should be a default TW image. It just makes for a more interesting time for the player and gives the mapper many options to show instructions (very helpful for beta releases), an overview map, or in-game shots.

Upvote 0
I'd settle for a loading bar so that people have an idea how much longer they have to wait before getting in game. But having the loading screen reflect the actual map that is going to be played along with tips is a good idea. Besides this would be the art departments responsibility so it wouldn't take away from other aspects of updates.

The lack of a loading bar has always been a pet peeve of mine though.

Now I can agree with this concept. A loading screen of the actual map and a progression bar. Good idea. Many Times, I've found myself looking at the LED's to see if all was ok... :eek:

Upvote 0
Well these took me maybe less than one hour to make. You'd rather have subtle fixes worked on rather than obvious ones such as this done first:confused:

Don't give up!! You just might be successful. Actually, I agree with you... ;)

Upvote 0
That would be pretty pointless since you only see the loading screen for like... 15 seconds.

i actually like that idea of historic photographs and background information etc.
the fact you might spend just 15 seconds loading doesnt mean i do, or anyone else does. i'm like waiting for one minute or something to get in

Upvote 0