• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wii released in the US

They've (foolishly) asked me to send one back, they want me to sent it back to them, and then pay me back postage costs afterwards. I guess it'll cost at least a tenner.
Now that's not happening. I'll enquire about letting me keep it (I'll pay for it of course, I can flog it for a profit) but otherwise it's not going anywhere unless they're gonna
a) Send a courier
b) Send a pre-paid label or something

I'll keep you posted :)

Oooh shiney!

EDIT: Doh, did you order a region 1 system by chance? I think the Wii still uses regions (which should TOTALLY be abolished IMO but that's a whole different thread). If that so then not so shiney :(

Upvote 0
My brother bought one, trust me its quiet fun and cool to play with the wii controller.. I didn't expect that from the wii.

Like the baseball game you have to swing like you have a bat in your hand for you to hit the ball on the screen.... quiet awesome

First time ive played a console that also give you some excercise lol. not that i'm fat or anything.

Upvote 0
... ... People are dumb.

And apparently so is Nintendo...

"The company said the straps do not pose a problem if they are used properly. However, it will replace all the damaged straps for free. Besides, all new shipments of the device will have straps that do not cause this problem."

There is no large enough of a rollseyes emoticon to describe this whole situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok so I got some hands on time with the Wii and the Wiimote when my brother-in-law brought it over yesterday. It more than confirms the fact that people who injure themselves, others, or damage anything else with the Wiimote should be removed from the gene pool.
Warning for Nintendo fan boys: Harsh opinion below...
It really is slight gestures, in fact it is too sensitive, I had a hard time playing because I overdid every movement. Though it is probably especially hard for me because with older consoles I made myself learn not to move the controller at all, 100% finger action. It feels very unnatural because its all done in relation to the TV screen, not the controller itself. So if you move just 1 inch past the screen's edge then you are stuck in that direction or nothing will happen. Example: in Red Steel (a FPS) if you go to far to the left then your view will be stuck turning left or sometimes your view will just stop completly the milisecond you gone off the "side".

Granted I only got to play 2 games: Red Steel and Excite Truck (you hold both ends of the Wiimote in that one, its like holding a steering wheel a 11 and 1 o'clock :p) because of limited time and other than Wii sports those were the only MP games. Heard neither were very good or made great use of the Wiimote but thats what he had. My bro-in-law did say that Twilight Princess felt smooth as silk and didn't have any problems (obviously can't confirm, but he had more trouble with Red Steel than me). Oh and that little speaker the Wiimote has in it sounds like those speakers at a drive through (read: amazingly bad), it completely ruins immersion. Despite its jerkiness/crappyness, Red Steel was fun (didn't have time for SP but split screen MP was fun even though it was only 1 vs 1) but everytime you picked up a weapon it played this really low quality "pick up" sound which was in massive contrast to the excellent sounds it had and was just another annoyance.

If I ever decided to get a Wii then I would definatly get the controller for it (the Game Cube controller only works with older games), I would probably try to buy one without it if possible. One thing that surprised me was its size, its like a 3 inch thick piece of paper! Although I gladly would have taken horsepower over size, the graphics are unimpressive and probably aren't going to get much better (I know gameplay > graphics but come on, its like a overclocked Game Cube, Nintendo could have at least made the specs half way between PS3's and 360's instead of just above the Game Cube's).

Imo (as this entire post has been) I wouldn't spend over $200 to get a Wii (might be that price next year, hopefully Super Smash Bros.: Brawl will be out). Not to bad considering I'm not even thinking about getting a Xbox 360 (cause of its overheating/other problems and the fact that M$ dropped backwards compatibility) or a PS3 (blueray is not the future and for $600 I could do something much more worth while of my free time... like getting a cheap gun and plenty of bullets).

Edit: Amazing coincidence that this is my 666th post :eek:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Byte Me is devil! :)

You're spot-on about those not being great examples of wiimote games. Honestly, aside from TP and Wii Sports there really AREN"T any great ones around ATM. Oodles of the first-party titles coming out should really make the wiimote show it's use though, and of course it should get better as developers get better at figuring out what works best in what situation for wiimote inputs. Entirely respectable opinion, though, there are a lot of people who wait before gobbling up a console. I honestly think that when you do look at it next (after the price drop, which will surely hit sometime next year, as Ninty is profitting on the boxes as it stands now) the inputs will be much more finely tuned.

About the hardware, though, it's part of the N's plan. The Wii isn't supposed to be in the same catagory as the 360 and PieceofShat3. Unlike the other consoles, N is turning a profit on each box. Largely that's due to the fact that technologically it is pretty much dirt cheap to make. Also, Ninty wants *full* backwards compatability. So that actually worked against them being able to make super powered hardware. A choice some won't agree with, of course, but again I think that's part of the plan to make the Wii more accessable. By keeping the ability to play entire libraries of Junior's GCN games, and also bringing in the ability to download and play Mario Brothers (possibly in the future) Galaga and Joust like mom and pop remember, their audience is larger.

Damn. It's late, and I'm betting the above is a pretty jumbled mess. Hope it makes some sense :p. Ultimately though, good on you for trying it. Don't forget to check back in a year or so though ;)

Upvote 0
So I'm writing this on a Wii with the Wiimote...

Long story short: have to leave pc off until I can replace broken fan, my dad was down south a few days ago and found a Wii at a wal-mart (two wal-marts actually, one had this as the last one, the other had 5 o_O), knowing they were rare he figured if I didn't want it he could sell it for a good profit (evil I know :p ). Only game I have is Wii Sports, so I will forgo a more complete "review" till I get more games. Well my hand/wrist is getting tired from all this pointing so one question before I go, is it cheaper to buy virtual console games online or go to a store and get a pre-paid card?

Upvote 0