• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best 7.62x54R

All my russian rifles (two M91/30's of different years and factories), a 91/30 sniper, an M44, M38, SVT-40, and my SVT-40 like the Igmann 150 grain loads. Have to adjust for a bit of a different ballistic trajectory as the rifles were sighted for a 180 grain bullet, but it's close enough.

The Mosin Nagants all like the Hungarian yellow-tipped, and Czech silver-tipped ammo.

The SVT's prefer the Czech stuff, but I get issue required groupings with the Hungarian (3.00 MOA).

Personally, I like buying the cheap Czech ammo (1,500 rounds for $150, woot) and breaking them into components for reloading.

By using those wonderful Czech bullets, loading to a 0.1 grain variance in the powder, and using Igmann brass I can get some rather impressive groupings out of all my rifles. Only problem is the SVT's tend to beat the ever lovin crap out of the brass.

Upvote 0
Would like to add my two cents:

It's a good idea to take some windex to the range with you to spray into the barrel right after you finish shooting. This will help nuetralize the salts in the barrel to keep it from getting nasty if it will be few hours before you can properly clean it.

Also keep in mind that the 200Gr ammo is really designed for MGs. Although you can shoot them just fine in a Mosin Nagant bolt, you do not want to shoot these in an SVT or PSL if you get one of these later. 200Gr stuff will eventually destroy an SVT or PSL rifle. Unfortunately, most of the ammo being sold today is 200Gr.

And although 200Gr is fine in the bolt guns, the original WWII ammo issued to Russian Soldiers was something more like 150Gr or less (called light ball). Just food for thought.

Also, mind you that the wolf 200Gr is not "match ammo". It's good quality non-corrosive but not match. The Russians refuse to sell us the real "military" match (sniper) ammo but it does show up here every now and then and is extremely rare and expensive. If I ever find some I will snatch it up.

Upvote 0
Yes it is (for now).

Problem is that almost all of it is surplus. Which means that it will eventually dry up.

This is why I have purchased 80 rounds of Albanian light ball and 1200 rounds of Czech silvertip light ball.

And I plan on buying more since I purchased my PSL.

Ill probably burn off at least 800rounds of the silvertip early next year while I become acustomed to my new Romanian girl.

Upvote 0
Yes it is (for now).

Problem is that almost all of it is surplus. Which means that it will eventually dry up.

there is enough out there between what is already in this country and the stuff that is still sitting over there waiting to be imported to last a LONG time... also keep in mind that there are still some rifles and machine guns in service in various countries that use 7.62x54R

Upvote 0
To tell the truth I haven't come across 7.62 ruskie that shoots bad, not that you come by a lot of it here in Aussie land. Shooting the heavy ball out of an M44 is always fun though :D

Worrying about surplus 7.62x54R drying up is kind of stupid while the Russians are still producing it for their PKM machineguns and Dragunov rifles. It'll be around for a damn long time yet, I just wish you Yanks would stop hogging it all :p

Upvote 0
To tell the truth I haven't come across 7.62 ruskie that shoots bad, not that you come by a lot of it here in Aussie land. Shooting the heavy ball out of an M44 is always fun though :D

Worrying about surplus 7.62x54R drying up is kind of stupid while the Russians are still producing it for their PKM machineguns and Dragunov rifles. It'll be around for a damn long time yet, I just wish you Yanks would stop hogging it all :p

Reddog, read my post again.

I am not worried about 7.62x54r drying up.

I am worried about 7.62x54r LIGHT BALL drying up.

The light ball ammo that will not destroy my PSL and SVT is hard (if not impossible) to find in new commercial form. Most of the new commercial stuff is all 200 Gr. stuff. 150Gr or less is extremely hard to find new, at least in my neck of the woods. This is why surplus is a Godsend for me.

And the Russians are not importing their light ball sniper ammo at all AFAIK. That is the problem.

The current light ball surplus is roughly 40 - 60 years old and will not last forever.

Remember, people used to post that 7.62x39 would always be cheap and easy to find.

Not always the case. There are no guarantees when it comes to ammo.

Upvote 0
The light ball ammo that will not destroy my PSL and SVT is hard (if not impossible) to find in new commercial form. Most of the new commercial stuff is all 200 Gr. stuff. 150Gr or less is extremely hard to find new, at least in my neck of the woods. This is why surplus is a Godsend for me.
Prvi Partisan and Igman (Prvi is often seen rebranded under all sorts of name) both make light bullet ammunition

Upvote 0
Hmm I wasn't aware that the heavy ball could damage an SVT or PSL, that's concerning then for sure. At the end of the day though you can always reload, I've just started churning out my own .303 got a nice recipe from a friend in my shooting club that matches MkVII ball perfectly, so it should shoot to the sights poa.

I'm also looking at a nice hunting load to use in the scoped No.4.

Upvote 0
On a side note, SA 308 has already dried up. What I used to pay $40 for now costs $80 or more for 200rnd battlepacks.

The GP11 is also nearly gone. Im stocking up on that as well.

Forget about 303 British. It costs and arm and a leg now and one of the reasons I went out of the way to get a 308 Enfield instead of a 303 one.

54r ammo is cheap now but do I will not make the mistake of not stocking up on it like I should have with the GP11, 7.62x39, 308 and 303.

Upvote 0
The GP11 is also nearly gone. Im stocking up on that as well.

the last lot to be imported is almost gone... just wait a bit and the next batch will come in and OMFG

it's people like you who start with the OMG IT'S ALL DRYING UP panic that causes ammo prices to rise like they do

plus i remember hearing something about the swiss only selling their surplus GP11 one year at a time notice how everything you buy now is 1978? and before that it was 1977? something tells me there is a nice supply of 1979 waiting to be imported next

.308 surplus drying up is similar to why 7.62x39 surplus dried up.. it's still in use in many countries... and oh look... there's a situation that might be tying up all that potential surplus ammo

Upvote 0
7.62x39 surplus is drying up?

That's odd, cause my local gunshop just got a shipment of 2 PALLETS of the stuff.

Perhaps it's drying up where you are, but that ain't the case for most everywhere else.

And GonzoX, where on earth did you get the idea that the 7.62x54R heavy ball stuff will 'ruin' your SVT's?

I ask, cause that's all I've EVER shot out of my two SVT's without failure or issue, in both surplus form, and handloads (loaded to surplus specs). In fact, I've found people have more problems with SVT's using the light ball ammo, as well as poorer groupings.

Upvote 0
Yeah, 7.62x39 went away because of the huge military contracts for it in the last year. Hundreds of millions of rounds were made by Wolf alone for military contracts. Most went to the new Iraqi army IIRC.

It's coming back though. It's double the price, but at least you can get it. It'll go down again some day. I wish more 5.45 would come in though. My WASR-2 has had barely 200 rounds through it. I've had it for almost a year. For an AK design that is one accurate rifle.

I also bought a lot of Sportsmans Guide's .303. It all WWII ammunition though. Most of it has an ignition delay of .25 seconds. Helps to find a flinch though!

Two cases of GP-11 sit in my safe now. I have one case of 70's Yugo 8mm, and two 50's cases. Along with a case of Romanian. As much as I shoot my 8mm rifles I'll be good for atleast a couple years.

I wish I'd bought more SA .308, I'm down to 3 battle packs. All I can find now is POF ammunition. I'm not sure I can trust that stuff.

I hope 7.62x54r doesn't dry up though. I know foreign army's still use it. I have lots of it too, but I go through that stuff pretty fast. A tin of 440 rounds usually only lasts a month tops. Of course I've heard of people who go through that much each trip to the range!:eek:

One that I know will be hard to find is 8x56r. I have 500 rounds of it, but I don't want to shoot it. It's that 1938 Nazi marked ammunition SOG has. Heck, you can still get it for $2.50 a box, and there are already places selling it as collector ammo. The few boxes I did fire though are still sure fire. With no hang fires or FTF.

Upvote 0
For Gonzo: http://www.outdoormarksman.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_63_48&products_id=68219

And GonzoX, where on earth did you get the idea that the 7.62x54R heavy ball stuff will 'ruin' your SVT's?

I ask, cause that's all I've EVER shot out of my two SVT's without failure or issue, in both surplus form, and handloads (loaded to surplus specs). In fact, I've found people have more problems with SVT's using the light ball ammo, as well as poorer groupings.

I've heard it can bend the piston rod.

Upvote 0