• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions before I buy

g4rlik

Dec 18, 2006
Hey there everyone, I'm in search of a new online shooter for the PC that I can play in my spare time. Red Orchestra seems to be just it. I've heard the game is great and the community is even better, but before I buy it, I'd like to ask some questions about the game.

1) How is the learning curve? I understand the game promotes realistic gameplay, so how long will it take me to get used to that? I never played the RO mod for Unreal Tournament

2) I won't have problems finding servers with actual people in them will I? I live in the US on the East Coast so I'll mostly be playing at night. If I wanted to play during the day though, would servers with people in them be up? I honestly don't want to play with bots at all. Even if there are only a few servers with a lot of people in them all of the time that's fine, since I can get to know people better.

3) Is there lag? I have a cable connection, so I should be good to go.

4) How is the VoIP? Can you hear your teammates clearly?

5) Speaking of teammates, do people actually work together, or is it more of everyone just doing their own thing and going solo? I hope this isn't the case.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could answer as many of my questions as possible. Thanks.

1.) depends on your attention span and apprehension.

2.)noone can guarante you filled servers everytime you want to play.

3.)depends on the distance to the server youre playing on. the internet is a dynamic thing, like a ocean, sometimes there waves, and sometimes there too smal boats serving a too big crew.

4.)depends mostly on the players hardware and configurations/background noises. the game has the ability to to provide clear comunication.

5.)you can find both.

Upvote 0
1. The learning curve is steep, but that's part of the fun. You can always get better at RO, and that's what keeps a lot of experienced players still going. Note that despite what some may say, there is a manual, hidden in a PDF file in the RO folder, and it is actually quite helpful.

2. Finding populated servers can be a little tough at times, but usually there's at least two or three. It's just a matter of whether they're playing a map that you like. You'll probably have it better living on the East Coast, because then you can play late at night with the West Coast guys who are three hours earlier.

3. Lag is usually not a problem. For me, pings are in the 80s to 120s. Sometimes they go higher if the server is overloaded. You'll learn quickly that there a few servers which you should avoid if they have over about 20 players, because the server can't handle it and lags out. RO is easily playable up to with lag up to 150ms. Higher than that and it gets difficult. Over 200ms is unplayable. Don't trust the ping times it gives you in the server browser.

4. VoIP at this point is kind of a joke. Learn to type fast. If you absolutely must have voice comms, join a clan. They all use Teamspeak.

5. It's hit and miss. Sometimes people work together, sometimes they don't. Lately, I haven't had much success in real teamwork, but I have in the past. Often it's just a matter of communicating with your team, but sometimes they won't listen no matter what.

Upvote 0
Welcome g4rlik! Welcome to the RO forums! I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. :)

The learning curve is pretty steep, it took me a while to learn how to play properly, but now I love the game. The main areas that I would suggest you pay attention to are the classes, identifying team mates and enemies, the maps (of course) and how to drive vehicles properly. Despite RO's initial difficulty, but if you stick with it you should be able to get a hold on the wheel.

Since youve never played the mod, I would suggest giving the mod a once over in case your still not sure after your questions are answered.

Servers are usually not an issue, I for one allways have over a hundread or more on my list, but thats just my connection. If you happen to find you dont have many on your list though, it might be filters instead of actual inactivity, RO is too popular to have an empty server list.

Bots can be an issue, I wont deny it. They act goofy, they do the impossible, and even the idiotic. Servers with bots enabled are starting to come further in between, but there are a few floating around. Even if you HATE bots, I suggest you practace with them a little so you can tolerate them in a server. Dont let the bots spoil your fun.

If your cable connection is properly connected you should do just fine. Usually the lag differences are pretty smooth, and compared to most FP games RO is pretty impressive when it comes to differing connections. At lower connections youll mostly just have to aim further ahead of your enemies then normal, and there isn't as much 'Jerking' as in some other games. Most players, even with low connections, can actually stand higher ping rates, from in between 60 to over 150. Youll find that any server thats around 100 to 150 is actually still playable, even more so with a cable connection. But avoid servers that go over 200, its about that point it starts getting to laggy to play.

It really depends on the speakers microphone, mostly the Voip messages come in just fine, if you cant hear someone, chances are the problems on their end.

Even with everyone going solo there is actually more teamwork in RO than many other games, but I'm not saying that everyone going solo is going to win the game though. Usually the most teamwork is found when players start communicating a lot with Voip, once you get that communication going youll be suprized how well complete strangers will work together.

I hope I gave you the information you wanted. On a final note, I would suggest then when you start playing, let the players on your team know your new, follow their advice, watch what they do, and make sure you get good at the basic rifleman class before you start working your way up.

Welcome to RO, I hope you enjoy the game. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is all based on my own experience. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Not valid in Puerto Rico, Alaska, or Louisiana.

Hey there everyone, I'm in search of a new online shooter for the PC that I can play in my spare time. Red Orchestra seems to be just it. I've heard the game is great and the community is even better, but before I buy it, I'd like to ask some questions about the game.​

1) How is the learning curve? I understand the game promotes realistic gameplay, so how long will it take me to get used to that? I never played the RO mod for Unreal Tournament

Your experience with other FPS games will come in handy somewhat with the infantry game. Learning to use the weapons reasonably well (at least the main weapons of SMG and rifle) is relatively straightforward. Just takes some time and practice, but you'll get the hang of it. The big thing is learning sort of "battlefield awareness", which as with other games only comes when you've learned the maps. Still, you can learn to do things like moving from cover to cover, etc.

Tank warfare depends heavily on the map. On a map like Arad, it's stupidly simple and simplistic. Arad is basically an infantry map where the infantry are actually tanks. It's got very little opportunity to show off the real nuances of tank warfare.​

On some of the custom maps, however, things get really interesting. Learning to tank effectively takes a while unless you understand certain underlying concepts of armored warfare, in which case it'll probably come relatively simple to you. If you've got questions, feel free to PM me on tanking. I'm not an expert by any means (and even if one is, you can always end up blown to smithereens anyway), but I do reasonably well.​

2) I won't have problems finding servers with actual people in them will I? I live in the US on the East Coast so I'll mostly be playing at night. If I wanted to play during the day though, would servers with people in them be up? I honestly don't want to play with bots at all. Even if there are only a few servers with a lot of people in them all of the time that's fine, since I can get to know people better.

For eastern time, anywhere between 5pm and midnight is "prime time." You shouldn't have problems finding servers. By the way, check out Wolfgaming.net's servers. :D

All internet games can suffer from lag. If your ping is relatively low (IE: less than 100) you should be fine. The game plays reasonably well up to about 120, but past that it's hard to line up shots with a rifle.​

I like it. It's convenient and as long as folks use decent mics, it works fine.​

5) Speaking of teammates, do people actually work together, or is it more of everyone just doing their own thing and going solo? I hope this isn't the case.

That varies heavily based on the server, who's on it, etc. Some teammates communicate a lot and want to work together. Other folks just want to shoot stuff and could care less about winning the map or helping teammates. I'd say on the whole most regular RO players are fairly good on teamwork, but it helps to play with a group of regulars.​

I'd appreciate it if you guys could answer as many of my questions as possible. Thanks.

No prob. Hope that helps. :)

--EDIT--

Some newbie tips for you.

- Germans generally wear green, and almost always wear helmets. Russians wear brown or white and often DON'T wear helmets. This will help for spotting enemies in the fog.

- The "attach bayonet" key is what changes the sights on the panzerfaust (If memory serves)

- The Tiger tank is not invincible, nor is it even good at close range. Stay at long range and let the Panzer IV and III tanks move in close.

- TAP the fire key on the German MGs. Literally. Just a tap. you'll be much more accurate. The Russian MG is a little more controllable, but even then, don't fire off long bursts.

- Check your keybinds ahead of time -- most people remap their keys so when you say "What's the key for [function]", a lot of people have no idea anymore.

Upvote 0
1. While there is a learning curve it really isnt as hard as people make it seems. ROOST is like a semi sim game, so while you can pick it up and play, it will take you a few weeks to really get good at it. There are many resources around the forums and manuals produced by the devs which really go help in this game. Things like tanks and are covered in the historical tactics manual, which is really a must to get good with the tanks. So while you will need to work at it to get good at ROOST its not like a sim where you need to spend months to become ok at it. So basically read the tutorials posted on the forums for the guns and tanks and read the manuals, if you do that then you will be fine. Also it helps when new to the game it helps to follow other players around.
I think the parts most people have trouble with is getting rid of there bad habits from other games, like xhairs and and a slower run speed.

2. There are about 60 populated servers at all times and maybe a few more in peak hours but ROOST has a large euro and North American fan base.

3. I dont get lag but if you do you might be on a euro server or your settings are to high. ROOST relies more on your CPU then your graphics card.

4. Yes and I dont have a problem hearing people. Its not TS or vent quality but its not bad and does work. Keep in mind that there are 3 channels for the VOIP, general, team and local. Its best to stick in the team channel and lead by example. Talk to everyone else (about the game) and get others talking.

5. This ties into #4, its all about the server. Certain servers have more team work then others, RTR and 2Mannys are good servers, people are generally friendly and help out.

Also a few tips: there are certain classes like the commander or sniper. Dont take them unless you know how to use them. If your a new player stick with the general infantry or MG class, the commander and snipers need to do more then just run around shooting and the results of a battle depend on a good commander or sniper in some cases. So learn the rest of the game before jumping into those roles. Dont just take the class that has the best gun, read what that class does and make sure its something you know how to do. You might think the rifle is dumb as first but if you can master the rifle other other weapons become easier, the rifleman is also the basic class so its good to get use to playing it.

Upvote 0
It's not as hard as it's reputed to be. I learned how to play effectively within a couple days. All you need is to purge your mind of all the stuff you know from other FPSse.

There are lots of US servers, but that doesn't matter much. For some weird-ass reason, pings up to about 200 MS are undetectable in RO.

Then a server, even in a different part of the world, would have to be pretty crappy to give you nasty lag.

Definitely. Very impressive. One of the first VOIP programs where I don't have to ask "What did you say?" every time someone says something.

Actual "talking" depends on the server, but by and large people work as a team very well without usually having to be told. In fact, most maps (Baskova comes to mind) absolutely REQUIRE coordination. Usually if someone starts being active over VOIP, others will too.

Upvote 0
I don't know why so much of the mainstream game media says that this game has a huge learning curve, it doesn't at all. The best way I can put it is that you gotta play the game like you play paintball. Just remember to shoot from behind cover, and only move up when its clear.

As for the servers, there's always about 3-5 full ones every night, more so on weekends.

Just join a server with low ping and you'll be fine lag-wise.

People use teamwork most of the time, usually by using the VoIP (which is clearer than the VoIP on Source games IMO).

Upvote 0
The learning curve can be easily solved within 10-20 minutes in practice mode. You obviously won't learn good tactics from the bots but you will learn what Free Aim is all about and how to use the tanks. Free Aim for me was the hardest part, I had played a few games before RO that had it, but they had crosshairs. The only real difference in the tanks from other games is the mouse is not used for aiming, though you will soon see why that is preferable (those long range shots would require a corpse's hand to make if the mouse was used).

Thats pretty much it. VOIP sounds fine, your connection should be fine, plenty of servers at night (most likely european though). Teamwork really depends on who is in the server, sometimes if feels like one giant clan match, other times if feels like one giant team deathmatch, tis a problem with all online FPS's. You haven't posted your system specs but it doesn't take much to run RO.

You missed the free trial but RO is only $19.95 (price through Steam).

Upvote 0
Looks like everyone answered your questions quite suffiently. As far as the VoIP...a clan works wonders for the team work and learning the game. If your interested in going that direction...drop by our website...we are a North American clan that competes on TWL, has a good time, and has a easy to get along with mature group. We have people on during the day and nights...but mostly nights. Give us a look, and drop by our server. **SALUTE**

www.volkshammer.com

Upvote 0
Yeah I thought my specs should be fine.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
nVidia 6800GT
1 gig RAM

with this you will have like 25-30 fps... upgrade processor to something like Core2Duo6300 (cheapest)... and you will have 80 fps (1680*1050 res.)... thats from my personal experience with almost same pc as you described before and after upgrade

Upvote 0