• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What about new classes?

Volkssturmmann and Partisan, new classes equiped with bolt-rifles (2clips of ammo) and on German side 1 Faust and the Russian side 2 grenades and a pistol. Lower endurance cause they are old men or just untrained.They could be available for the defensive side of a map and the rifleman could get limited.
Soldiers of the WeaponSS and NKDW with higher endurance and free choice of first weapon (excluding mg and sniperrifle) maybe new nade "Geballte Ladung" (compact charge?) or "Hohlladung" (hollow charge?)on german side and 2 smoke nades and 2 normal ones for the soviet.
What do you guys think?
There weren't 2 or 3 Waffen SS soldiers with a Heer force, you had a Waffen SS force OR a Heer force, don't mix them. Also most of the Waffen SS soldiers weren't elite soldiers, they were like the regular german soldier (which can also be elite or regular).

Upvote 0
Waffen SS and Naval Infantry units would be more appropriate I think. It would be too difficult to simulate reserve soldiers like the volunteers or partisans or volksturm (volksturm would be the only one that could work, since they would recieve low quality weapons and thus made inferior to regular infantry).

Also, shooting women or kids would be stepping over the line I think. There are alot of things about war that RO doesn't represent, and this should be one of them.

Upvote 0
Waffen SS and Naval Infantry units would be more appropriate I think. It would be too difficult to simulate reserve soldiers like the volunteers or partisans or volksturm (volksturm would be the only one that could work, since they would recieve low quality weapons and thus made inferior to regular infantry).
Yes, The naval, waffen SS, luftwaffe etc are all units, not classes and they have the same classes as the regular heer unit. So the normal classes with the right clothing and name are already the new units.

Upvote 0
Sorry Lizardhands, I didn't necessarily mean women, rather, any other combat group that someone could think of that did actually fight, no matter how small their impact or absurd they would be in the game.

i think you could be surprised actually by the origin of the last defenders of the reich, i doubt strongly that the last defenders were mainly 18 to 30 years old like in the beginning of the war.
even in the ardennes offensive in 44 there were large numbers of 15 year old or younger soldiers, just look at pictures of prisoners.

and be careful by saying their impact was/will be small and absurd, it's almost like saying that the impact of foreign volunteers who took part in the normandy invasion was small and absurd.

and about konigsplatz, the soldiers fighting there represent remains of fighting units and naval clerks, wich should be a weak and unexperienced force. but when you look at the reality you see that the germans on konigsplatz are almost the best equipped and best performing fighting force on any RO map!, so getting volkssturm units with less ammo less accuracy or less stamina, could get us closer to reality

Upvote 0
cool down, i never mentioned anything about concentration camps, rapes, hangings... this thread is about adding new unedited fighting classes.
child soldiers, women and old people formed the major part of those volkssturm units wether you like it or not.
Rapes, hangings and concentration camps, Gulags, massexecutions, burnings, torture, etc. were a part of the war too, whether you like it or not.
I live in Germany and I visited KZs before. Just standing there where they stripped down the victims gives me a very, very unpleasant feeling. Just thinking about what the soldier

Upvote 0
Rapes, hangings and concentration camps, Gulags, massexecutions, burnings, torture, etc. were a part of the war too, whether you like it or not.
I live in Germany and I visited KZs before. Just standing there where they.....

i agree with what you said there murphy, but i don't understand why you said all that.
nobody ever mentioned that rapes , hangings, concentration camps etc... should be added to the game. this game is about frontline combats and volkssturm, einzats, osttruppen, partisans, resistants were part of it, so i think we have the right to discuss if we need them in-game or not.

and if a new class were to be added, then i think it is necessary to represent it correctly, so if people don't want to fight as kids then it is better not to add volkssturm at all.
volkssturm without younger soldiers would simply be hypocritical

Upvote 0
i agree with what you said there murphy, but i don't understand why you said all that.
nobody ever mentioned that rapes , hangings, concentration camps etc... should be added to the game. this game is about frontline combats and volkssturm, einzats, osttruppen, partisans, resistants were part of it, so i think we have the right to discuss if we need them in-game or not.

and if a new class were to be added, then i think it is necessary to represent it correctly, so if people don't want to fight as kids then it is better not to add volkssturm at all.
volkssturm without younger soldiers would simply be hypocritical

you mean Hitlerjugend right ?

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: In before the inevitable lock.

We don't need child soldiers. I have no problem with adult female soldiers, but it still seems like pointless extra work.

If you want to depict irregular units, just do a few irregular outfits for classes on a map and call it done. But even then, it still seems rather pointless to add even if it really did happen in the war.

Let's keep the focus of the eastern front battles between the regular forces engaged in combat. Not the Hitler Youth platoons defending Berlin, not the old partisans fighting in the countryside or engaging in sabotage actions in cities, not the SS troops massacring a village OR the Russian troops doing the same if EITHER did it.

Just straight-up regular units duking it out on a battlefield. If someone wants to add Luftwaffe groud troops, German and/or Russian marine units, or other specialized forces for a given map, fine. But even so, let's keep it as the regular troops. The rest is a waste of dev art resources (which could better be put towards making new small arms, new vehicles, new map textures, etc.) and would be needlessly controversial as this very thread has already shown.

Upvote 0
Putting child soldiers in game would be like hanging a huge sign on TW's door saying "SUE US".

But as mentioned before: even if there were children/women/elderly fighting in WW2 doesn't mean they need to be in the game. It would just seem ethically wrong. RO simulates infantry combat, and that's it. If it's a choice between not having volkssturm and having volkssturm with child soldiers I'd choose not to have it at all. Besides, how would you explain the child soldiers to a person who just sees RO for the first time? "Oh, it's just historical accuracy to shoot kids". Dismembered child corpses after an artillery bombing would make hell of a headline, when it's about a game.

If it is child/female/elderly soldiers you want, I recommend you to read a book about the subject. I'm sure there are plenty of books about it. RO is about simulating combat, not the horrors of war.

Upvote 0