• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is it possible to create...

Capt.Marion

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2006
Beantown
... a mutator that moves the POV to the avatar's face region and/or so the POV is thru the sights when they are up? I'd add in making it so bullets come out of the barrel too, but if I recall projectile emitters are at the POV of the player... don't quote me though, I know nothing about Unreal coding. is it possible?

I just so happened to be mildly bored again tonight, and looking through the player code in order to better realistically represent the Ostfront. Namely, making Aryan SUPER SOLDIERS (as I call them).

But, that's irrelevant. To answer your question: Yes, there's POV data in the Pawns or some such that would let you move where you "see" from. My understanding is that your POV is just a camera mounted inside of a model.. I think. So yes, I think it's doable.

As for the bullet spawn, that's not a problem at all. Each weapon has some little variables that tell the projectile where to spawn in relation to the weapon. Example: ona kar 98 it spawns +25 on the x axis from where the weapon is.. which I suspect means "in front of the gun".

So, to partially answer your questions: Yes, I think both are possible. I'd goof with it myself, but it sounds like it'd require.. ya know.. time/effort/testing to make sure the POV is in the correct location/bullets are. Not difficult, just a lot of time... Plus, I dunno how to make a mutator. Heh.

Upvote 0
Here's some tips/advice:

In ROPawn, scroll down towards the bottom to default properties. There's a EyeHeight, BaseEyeHeight, and Bob settings I think you can alter for what ya want.

Also, at the very bottom of default properties is a TON of lean related stuff. I think most of it is animations, but the top part LeanViewOffest and whatnot should let you shift the POV when leaning (i.e. move it more "center-wards" so you can't peek via helmet.

Also, under _insertWeaponhere_Fire classes, like Kar98Fire, there's a variable relatively high up in the code, something like ProjectileSpawnOffset. That's what ya tinker with to make the bullet appear in different locations.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Once you make your own alternate files, I.E GermanSoldierAlt.uc or something in your own directory, say "ROInventoryAlt" or "ROSomething", you have to goto command prompt and navigate to the RO/System directory, then type ucc make. That compiles your code into .u files that are usable.

You then open up the RO editor, throw your new Role onto a map, save, and try it.

It's a bit more complicated than that I suppose, but I'm too inebriated to explain right now.

Upvote 0
..... As for the bullet spawn, that's not a problem at all. Each weapon has some little variables that tell the projectile where to spawn in relation to the weapon. Example: ona kar 98 it spawns +25 on the x axis from where the weapon is.. which I suspect means "in front of the gun"....

mmm.. Would those same variables have a rotation or velocity part as well so that I could modify these to change the speed and direction of the projectile? Im looking for a way to spawn IS2CannonShellHE via a scripted trigger in a randomised way. I can get the shells to spawn no problem but I cant get the variation. Where are the variables located? What function could I call to change the variables?

Upvote 0
mmm.. Would those same variables have a rotation or velocity part as well so that I could modify these to change the speed and direction of the projectile? Im looking for a way to spawn IS2CannonShellHE via a scripted trigger in a randomised way. I can get the shells to spawn no problem but I cant get the variation. Where are the variables located? What function could I call to change the variables?

Are you trying to make tank shells that curve side-to-side? It would be so cool if you could make them draw big hearts in the sky with their tracers before they come down on someone's head.

Upvote 0
Are you trying to make tank shells that curve side-to-side? It would be so cool if you could make them draw big hearts in the sky with their tracers before they come down on someone's head.

sky writing!!!

well no...

Im trying to make a IS2CannonShellHE have some sort of ramdom variation in its flight path. It will be "fired" by a scripted trigger, which works fine.
What I would like is a projectile that after being spawned by the scripted trigger, initially adjusts once its speed and direction randomly so that over a 2-4 km flight it will land in a wide area with no real predicability by the players on the map. some could fall realy short, and some will pass overhead. By being able to extend the IS2CannonShellHE, and putting the relevant code in it, I will have a simple, place-once-and-forget-it, script that can be easily tweaked for the rate of fire and turned on and off at will. It is meant to simulate a large amount of off map arty firing into the area, but I wont overuse it. Its almost as much for atmosphere as effect, but if you get hit by one you will be damged/killed. I really dont want to use a static system like in baksan valley or others as the level is large and if would take an eon to set up all the event/tag and trigger relationships. plus a scripted trigger seems to ad a lot of file size to the map so if i had one SriptedTrigger every 100m in my map that would be 50x50= 2500 scripted triggers. The game has a hard enough time with 1200 trees and 1000 bushes, and it still looks bare. If I could have 4 or so Scripted triggers each side of the map, firing randomised projectiles it would make up for a lot of scripted triggers doing it the other way.

Ive tried to attach it to a slowly roting mover in a test level but the Scripted trigger seems to have its bStatic property set to True, so its not going anywhere. as the fired shell inherits the direction the the scripted trigger is pointing I thought that would work, but theres no way to set bStatic to false that Ive found yet as its a hidden property.

Upvote 0
Bah, IMO Tripwire Interactive should place the first-person camera actor at the tip of the right eye (and left for those who would use left).

This would mean you'll get body awareness aswell, shared animations, shared models (no seperate third-person model/animation, instead one model/animation for both first- and third-person) and it would prevent those stupid clipping problems which plagued RO from the start.

Upvote 0
Bah, IMO Tripwire Interactive should place the first-person camera actor at the tip of the right eye (and left for those who would use left).

This would mean you'll get body awareness aswell, shared animations, shared models (no seperate third-person model/animation, instead one model/animation for both first- and third-person) and it would prevent those stupid clipping problems which plagued RO from the start.

great idea, the modelers would have more time, since they would only have to model low poly model in general. Way to think something to the end... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Cameras point of view is correctly in characters eyes, I have tested this so many times. If you could lower point of view to players chin or nose that would be more helpful to prevent clipping bug, but it would be reducing view from windows when crouched also and windows height should be maybe changed, though this should be tested to be sure.

Upvote 0
great idea, the modelers would have more time, since they would only have to model low poly model in general. Way to think something to the end... :rolleyes:
Nah, why low poly?

You can also rely on UE2.5's distance-mesh-LOD. :D

Hell, anything is better then playing RO with the down-to-right feeling you are remotecontrolling a robot with a Mosin-Nagant strapped to a bungiecord making it look like it dangling around. :D

Upvote 0