• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics When to hit Esc - Disconect

kartasik

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
When is that time? When to use that tactic? I just played Frontline_assualt B4 for the first time. As a t-34 driver I was trying to get the tank through the silly tree line - the road with the downed trees, and the Russians wouldn't get out of my way so I could bring a tank up. They can use the whole forest - but for some reason they just had to use the road. So I had to use the forest - picking my way around trees. That was fun - especially since the Germans had panzerfausts still in those trees. Ok - so I made it to the top of the trench line 3 times - once deep into the German rear. I cleared the whole trench line at least twice of armor and troops - and stll the Russians would now advance beyond the tree line!!!! I finally asked with the 'T' command, are the Ruskies bots? The Germans informed me -"no they are a french team".

My next move: Esc - disconnect. However before I had left I had managed to run down 4 germans. Not bad for a map I never played before.

There is a time to quit - that was one of them!

When is that time?
I've quit mid-game a couple times recently on different servers (I think they were different servers). A couple weeks ago I joined the Russians in LyesKrovy. Some idiot on voice was spewing a constant stream of gibberish. I quote: "aaaiiiooooeeeeeuuaaaaaiiiieeeeeoooouuuuu" It was next to impossible to play because I couldn't hear teammates or battle sounds over the babble. On the next map the idiot was on the other team. After a few moments they asked if the Russians did so badly in LyesKrovy because of that idiot. We assured them that was the case as they wouldn't stand a chance against us otherwise.:D We started muting the idiot but he got around it, possibly because of the disconnect/reconnect bug I just read about. Not only that but he stayed in spawn so we couldn't kill him and kick-voting was disabled. That was time to disconnect.

During the free week I quit one server because of a constant TKer that killed people exiting spawn. That was another time to disconnect.

Upvote 0
For me, any point where I can feel myself really starting to get angry/frustrated. Like, seriously frustrated to the point where I'm yelling at the screen. When that happens, it's time to turn off the computer and walk away.

Similarly, when you're on a team that repeatedly refuses to attack (on an attack map, of course), and no matter what you do to try to help them/get them to get off their butts and move, they just stay put and plink away. When that happens, it's time to either change teams, switch servers, or go read a book.

Upvote 0
Free week pissed me off. I went to play Il-2 Sturmovik since the noobs were pissing me off. You'd expect them to be all mowed down by me MG, but they weren't organized, and always ran and charged. i'd see a like 5 guys, but suddenly the guy I have my eyes on darts away in another direction, a friendly takes out another guy and all of a sudden I lost my chance. They're like ****ing rodents, darting this way and that, and the MG34 isn't well suited for that.

On maps were I forced to play as a rifleman, it happened to be an attack map, and noone would be organized and would just run and gun. No two people would attack the same objective at the same time and the Russians like chraging us with no bayos attached and they preferred to spray with smei autos from the hip. I left. Majority of them gone now. Has free weekend ended?

I also just leave if it turns I'm not having a good day. I usually just stop playing altogethor then and watch Strangerhood or something. I play good on good days. I play good when I think I'm going to play good, which is always. Unless all of a sudden I hit a good server and unusually filled with noobs. It makes me angry. They whore my MG, abuse the sniper, charge, and lose the game. At that point it's over.

I also just leave when I though I've played too much. It's hard and it rarely happens.

Edit: Sometimes, when I'm on a good server with good players with a few bad players, I threaten to stab them in the leg if they get up and attack. They don't and I stab 'em, but end up killing them, then I usually quietly walk away and shut up for the rest of the round.

Upvote 0
There were a couple of times during FW when I jumped on a server, only to find the teams so badly weighted it was scary. But, hey, war is like that sometimes- you don't go to war with the army you want, you go with the one you have. Even so, a couple of times the smaller side would actually be winning- and not by a small margin either; I'm talking maybe 10-16 or something worse, but those 10 ROCKED. On one occasion I joined a smaller German team on Orel and we were simply racking up some serious pwnage on the Rus- so much so that I had to ask if we were really that good or if they were that bad! I mean, I recognized some 'regulars' on the Rus side, but it seemed there was absolutely no coordination going on, and it showed in the score and on the map.

If it hapens that I'm on a team that is a good example of SNAFU in action, I'll either (depending on whether or not I have the time) try to gather up a couple of decent guys and go it alone, leaving the morons to TK each other in a cap zone, or if it's really bad enough I have no problems making a quick exit.

Personally I'd rather fight a battle tooth-and-nail right down to the last minute instead of steamrolling over some hapless enemy mob. It's nice having non-bot moving targets for tank gunnery practice, but there's just no real fun in it.

Upvote 0
that frontline assault map needs some tweaking, it is really annoying when half of the time when ypoure a tanker you spawn in on the complete other side of the map an you have to run around the entire trainstation and go back to the tank spawn, even now the map is known i see every time germans getting lost at spawn because when you take a wrong entrance you cant reach the front and have to go back all the way... other wise it is a rather good map, when you make it to the front offcourse :p

Upvote 0
Personally I'd rather fight a battle tooth-and-nail right down to the last minute instead of steamrolling over some hapless enemy mob. It's nice having non-bot moving targets for tank gunnery practice, but there's just no real fun in it.

Now that I absolutely agree with 100%. A blowout is no fun for me, regardless of which side I'm on. I think the best games are the ones that come down to the last 15 seconds.

Upvote 0
Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf and all

Obr.Lt.Scheisskopf and all

I was watching 'Band Of Brothers' again the other day and suddenly realized that how the old timers felt about the green replacements was much the same way old timers in RO fell about noobs. I have to work hard at not getting on to them - and in fact in that game I mentioned above I did avoid doing that other than asking the Germans if the Ruskies were bots. I recall when I first started in late April that all the old timers baby-sat me with no complaints. And in fact RO needs new players to replace those that have moved on to other virtual worlds. But after playing RO I see Band of Brothers in a whole new light. Playing through SH3 also made me see my U-boat books in a totally new light (I re-read them).

There was a moment in Black Day July where I was following about 6 German tanks up the hill on the east flank. As each tank crossed the hill before me I would see them soon explode in a fireball just over the rise ahead of me. It was like a conveyor belt - and for just an instant - like in a dream - I became truly fearful as if it was real. For just a moment I felt like I saw what it felt like for real Panzer drivers in WWII. In my 20s and 30s I mountained climbed quite a bit in the Rockies and Cascades and came near to death many times - once in an avalanche. It was that kind of fear in the RO game, but just for like 3 seconds.

Upvote 0
Free Week of Death

Free Week of Death

I hated free week. It just happened to coinside with the last week of the semester and after cramming for papers and tests all day I just wanted some release ... only to find more frustration, next time they do that they should open a few servers that are just for the free week players and restrict them from the rest. I even saw regulars hanging out in the spawn TKing out of frustration with the noobs.

It was as if no one had time to read the manual let alone grasp the basic concept of the game, one kid even asked "where the enemy was" thinking that the Germans and Russians had been on the same side and that the enemy would be the computer like in Call of Duty! Thank God its over, now back to reality ;}

----Lowman

Upvote 0
This thread is sad. Dont you guys realize that we need newcommers if the game is going to have a long lasting life?

"Putting up" with new guys for what, 4 days once every 6 months? Come on, get a grip on your own importance in the bigger picture.
Well said Laz
When to hit Esc- disconnect? - When the server is half full of bots cos so few are playing that's when.
I find this the case now and then and sometimes wonder if numbers are starting to shrink everso slightly at least on some of the servers I play.
This gives me the fear- so I like to think that the regulars were helping and encouraging new guys during the trail.
RO has a dedicated following but hardly a huge one - and whilst im sure RO will thrive ppl mustn't take for granted its continued support.
Theres a lot of games online that no-one seems to play because no-one seems to play.

Upvote 0
I hated free week. It just happened to coinside with the last week of the semester and after cramming for papers and tests all day I just wanted some release ... only to find more frustration, next time they do that they should open a few servers that are just for the free week players and restrict them from the rest. I even saw regulars hanging out in the spawn TKing out of frustration with the noobs.

It was as if no one had time to read the manual let alone grasp the basic concept of the game, one kid even asked "where the enemy was" thinking that the Germans and Russians had been on the same side and that the enemy would be the computer like in Call of Duty! Thank God its over, now back to reality ;}

----Lowman

if I am not wrong you must have been born with mouse in your hand... geeez :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Anyone up for a rousing game of (da-da-daaaaa...) PANZERBLITZ? When I was growing up (far too long ago to divulge any dates at this point) PB was THE state-of-the-art wargame. Now who plays it? Guys my age and older. Why? It's an old game- still wonderful, but aged- that never made the leap to The Next Generation of players. I doubt very seriously if there are ANY dedicated Panzerblitz players under 40 these days- I myself haven't played it in ages, though it still occupies a place of honor on my bookshelf (right next to PANZER LEADER and ARAB-ISRAELI WARS...!).

But why is this? In short, it never attracted new players once PC games took hold of the industry. Once the end-all of board wargames, it's now seen rarely and always referred to as a 'classic'.

My biggest fear for RO is that it will slide down the same road if the 'anti-noob' attitude isn't modded soon. I fully understand the frustration of older (read: mature) players who can't stand TKers and just plain stupid battlefield behavior; I got hopping mad myself during Free Week during some engagements and yes (I admit it) I popped a few out of existence - but only so I could at least GET to a vehicle and clear out so they could TK to their heart's content while I and a couple of others fought the battle at hand.

But, in the end, it's inevitable that unless we- the PLAYERS- bring in new blood in a few short years there may very well be no RO left to play, except among a handfull of old-time die-hards. No new players= no new copies being sold= no support from publisher or developer= no 'official' game.

'Anti-noobing' is certainly understandable, but unless we older players take the lead and teach by example we're just not going to thrive as a community. If this means having to deal with TKers and such nonsense for a short while before they're 'snapped in', so be it. We dont' have to like it, but It's Just The Way It Is.

Well said Laz
When to hit Esc- disconnect? - When the server is half full of bots cos so few are playing that's when.
I find this the case now and then and sometimes wonder if numbers are starting to shrink everso slightly at least on some of the servers I play.
This gives me the fear- so I like to think that the regulars were helping and encouraging new guys during the trail.
RO has a dedicated following but hardly a huge one - and whilst im sure RO will thrive ppl mustn't take for granted its continued support.
Theres a lot of games online that no-one seems to play because no-one seems to play.

Upvote 0