• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Securing the perimeter and other "mini" objectives

trillex

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
This idea came to me while reading an old and outdated set of ideas for World of Warcraft's Alterac Valley. What they promised in this, was that the less powerful characters could do other objectives to make sure that they win.

I was wondering if this could be implented in a decent way in Red Orchestra, so that the less skilled people or more team-orientated ones could do a huge favour for their missions. I can only come up with examples to describe this better:

Imagine on the custom map Leningrad, in some of the apartment blocks:

A couple of soldiers from the russian team charge towards a section of the apartments, hoping they can reach it before the germans come. They all very well know that this can make the german take over the apartment buildings, making for some very hard defence when they'll snipe out their troopers. They put down a couple of satchel charges at an entrance and it collapses together, making this opening unusable.

Kinda like in Enemy Territory where they build up some kind of defenses in the very start of the map.

Or maybe moving up the team's spawn, by carrying some ammunition to another preset objective. They would need to carry at least 5 boxes and 1 soldier can only carry one each and get a huge speed disadvantage as well as not being able to shoot.

Post your thoughts.

Yeah, it always kinda bothered me how on maps like Stalingrad, the Germans could re-capture any of the objectives to their hearts' content until the Soviets got Assembly and North Rail, at which point, and for some reason, those objectives would become "off limits." It is certainly essential to the gameplay, but perhaps a better way to implement this could be put together. I kind of like the idea of manually "moving the spawn," but even without requiring more players to do boring stuff, perhaps we could have two degrees of "possession" for an objective - taken and secured. When it is taken, it can still be recaptured, and remains "taken" for some period of time (a few minutes), during which no enemy must be allowed to come within the perimiter, at which point it will become "secured" and cannot be retaken. This would all apply on top of the current map standards, so that only the objectives which currently become un-recappable can become secured. Perhaps there could even be some simple changes to scenery (more sandbags, some entrances closed off, etc.) to make it harder for the enemy to get into a "secured" location, thus reducing spawn camping and creating a more coherent front line.

Upvote 0