• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound tool for "old radio atmosphere"?

a few tips from me (who made the radios in RO):

for the radioed sounds thats in the game right now i bandpassed the voices narrowing them down like a telephone, added background noise and then ran all of it through a distortion filter.

I made automated scripts for the radios, since it had atleast 10 different processes, that had to be added in a special order to get it to sound like it does.

good luck & keep experimenting!

Upvote 0
If you want to get the radio sounding EXACTLY like the effect X got on his radios, sample a part of the radio transmission with no speech in it and loop it behind a voice which has had the bandpass thing and distortion done to it.

If you've just started doing this, when using distortion, remember not to go overboard. Same as a guitarist, first time they use an effects pedal they whack it up to the max - with time they learn that 'less is more'. I only used extreme distortion for the Romanian tanker saying "We're on fire" and that was 'cos he was screaming it into the mic.

Upvote 0
I was wondering about this as well, but in a different way- is there a tool available to modify one's voice for use on VOIP (or, for that matter, for any application like TS/Vent) that would give it that 'staticky sound' like the in-game artillery radios and such? Or, can the in-game VOIP itself be modified to give this effect?

I know it's pretty frivolous, but it occurred to me that using something like that could be one more step towards the goal of 'immersion' that so many want; as I'm a tanker, it would go even further since there is virtually no opportunity to have a 'normal' conversation outside the vehicle (i.e., without 'static').

Upvote 0
i think its unwise to distort ones voice like that with a pre-set filter, mainly because people wont be using the same type of microphone, and everyone has his/her own set of background noise. so person A might be lound and clear, while person B might just be a chaotic mess where you cant hear squat. personally, id love to see something like this, but its hard to have it work for everyone.

Upvote 0