• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Your death is not always a waste

kartasik

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
Often a suicide attack by one or two players will win a game. This is true if these attacks draw enemy fire, delay an enemy, or reveal an enemy at a critical moment. We have all seen this and in real combat this happens too. Often men who do this in real war are those who win their medals postuminously. In Vietnam I recall the case of a man who was disliked by his whole platoon. He was called The WORM. During a firefight where the enemy was charging up a slope at them as they were behind a wall, the enemy cover fire was so intense none of the Worm's fellow troopers could return fire without being hit. The Worm jumped up and charged down the slope firing - this move caught the enemy by surprise and drew their coverfire to just the Worm's spot. He died. But in that moment his platoon regained the initiative and were able to throw back the enemy just moments before they would have overrun their point. It made the news for one day.

In larger scale such attacks take the form of what old war games called soak-off attacks - or what in war is called diversionary attacks or what in the American Civil War was called a 'demonstration'. Terrorist and freedom fighters often use such attacks as their main component.

Ask yourself this: what kind of Russian conventional force would it have taken to bring the USA to its present difficulty in Iraq? Likely several divisions, many jets, and even ships. But the Iraqis have accomplished the same thing with many time less this much fire power - though it took a great deal of TIME as would have a strong conventional force.

You have all seen it in Red Orc. Here are some tactics I have used this way: 1. Driving my halftrack into certain death during a tank duel - the enemy tank takes his eyes off our tanks to engage me - kills me with no trouble - but - our tanks were able to load and move to a slightly better angle and wipe the enemy tanks out. 2. Driving in a halftrack with the tanks in Arad to North Field. The enemy tanks use their first shots to take out me (as I expected) but that meant my tanks could use their loaded guns - one step ahead of the Russians - and in a tank fight the first shots are the most important. 3. Taking on an enemy tank at close range with a pistol (if that's all I have) and actually (in some cases) getting the stupid driver to dance with me in circles!!! Even 25 such seconds in a game are critical!

We have all seen such things over and over. They are not wastes. They add up. At a critical moment in time they can actually equal total defeat for the enemy - especially if they are not watching their clocks.

My favorite ones are where more than one tank - in Arad or other tank game - will waste their time shooting at me behind a wall or covered point - chasing me - and wasting 2 minutes to take out one man with a pistol. It equals a full arty barrage as per slowing down an enemy!

Last edited:
Life is not always a waste, either.

Life is not always a waste, either.

On the same point, sometimes if I know one sole Russian is camping on one of our objectives, especially if it's a bot, I just let him live. That way, there is one less Russian concentrating where it matters.

If he's in a tank, I'll take one shot to damage him, and then just leave him in position smoldering if he isn't a threat.

As far as suicide attacks go, however, my favorite is to charge into a bunch of Russians on a map like LyesKrovy and drop my two grenades and then melee. Hopefully a bunch of them see me and become attracted like a magnet just in time for my grenades to detonate.

Upvote 0
fantastic points

fantastic points

your concept about letting an enemy live on an objective is indeed forward thinking - managing appearances while knowing the reality. As for the gernade melee that reminds me of what was fun in the old Team Forts in Quake 1 online. I'd go in as a flame-thrower guy who also carried 4 mines that threw off gernades in a circle. I'd sneak in through the door (when opened) into their spawn chamber and spin a circle throwing these mines all around the room. Of course I would die, but for a minute after there would be nothing but explosions in their spawn room. God I loved that! Then I learned how to be an engineer and to set up the robot machineguns. I'd sneak into their spawn room and set up a robot machinegun in one corner and take up a defense stance in the other corner and hold their spawn for 10 minutes. Needless to say they ceased being able to maintain men at the fighting front. They'd have to mount a major assault (there was always another spawn room) to take the room I held. Finally my favorite trick as engineer was to set up a team weapons resupply box in a darkened hall of the enemy fort. Since they could not see what color it was (blue or red for teams) in the dark they would gather round it to resupply. Then I'd detonate it with the remove key and the blast would throw them up against the walls. God I loved that!

Upvote 0
I just did this today on Lyeskrovy. I was a sem auto German. the russians managed to cap 2 objectives and I snuck around to where they were gathering. First off I killed their mg, then hipshot an SMG and stole his gun. Charging forward to where the russkys were coming through their trenches to the fight I gave a short hipshot burst to every russian I met. I must have got about 6 or 7 of them, when finally massed fire brought me and 2 russian tks down. then the grenades they managed to throw starting inflicting TKs:) . held up the russian advance for a minute or so, which allowed us to win in the end.

Upvote 0
yep that's the element that wins games

yep that's the element that wins games

Infantry does it a lot - tankers not so often. There really are tankers who never play infantry and it shows in their gaming. Infantry has to be bold or else they go no where. Generally, being without armor, without speed, they mustbe bold just to traverse the map. I do understand that if you have a TEAM inside a tank you should avoid over wild attacks. When I am driving a halftrack full of men I am very conservative how I drive. The FEW times I was roped in to driving a tank with a gunner I usually drove conservative too. It's one thing to risk your own character - its a whole different thing to risk others.

ONE LAST POINT: the suicide attacks should only be made by old timers (generally) - it serves only as a grease to lubricate a battle zone that is stuck. It works because others on a team are playing more conservatively and are still alive when its done to take advantage of the greased event. If everyone did it all the time all that would result would be a field covered with your dead team and no reinforcements left.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just did this today on Lyeskrovy. I was a sem auto German. the russians managed to cap 2 objectives and I snuck around to where they were gathering. First off I killed their mg, then hipshot an SMG and stole his gun. Charging forward to where the russkys were coming through their trenches to the fight I gave a short hipshot burst to every russian I met. I must have got about 6 or 7 of them, when finally massed fire brought me and 2 russian tks down. then the grenades they managed to throw starting inflicting TKs:) . held up the russian advance for a minute or so, which allowed us to win in the end.

That's my general tactic on lyes. STG 44 + constant charging through the Russian held trenches hipshooting. Usually get 2-6 kills before I die. Then I repeat :D

Upvote 0
That's my general tactic on lyes. STG 44 + constant charging through the Russian held trenches hipshooting. Usually get 2-6 kills before I die. Then I repeat :D

Hip shooting? Die? Why on earth would you want to do that? With an STG 44 + a bunch of grenades you can wreak some systematichal havoc on the russians without having to die. To simply rush the lines is CS. To push the lines backwards by counter-attacking in an orderly manner, clearing the area trench by trench is a totally different thing.

Still, I prefer being russian on that map, since I enjoy killing all camping bastards that think they are safe in ther prone position aiming down the trenches. Well say hello to my little friend, the F1 high explosive fragmentation grenade.

Upvote 0
Hip shooting? Die? Why on earth would you want to do that? With an STG 44 + a bunch of grenades you can wreak some systematichal havoc on the russians without having to die. To simply rush the lines is CS. To push the lines backwards by counter-attacking in an orderly manner, clearing the area trench by trench is a totally different thing.

Still, I prefer being russian on that map, since I enjoy killing all camping bastards that think they are safe in ther prone position aiming down the trenches. Well say hello to my little friend, the F1 high explosive fragmentation grenade.

I don't play realistically all too much [despite being OFP fan/ArmA player - I hate CS]. Servers don't suit it. You always have to die at some point. I'd prefer to whore my K/D, make an impact on the Soviet casualty rate and continually ruin the Soviet attack by cutting a massive swathe through it. If my team [usually a little difficult on public servers] want to move up behind and secure the trench, they of course can. I'll be able to shout at them when I solve my VOIP problem :p

Your second paragraph is the precise reason I prefer being Stosstruppe. Whilst the Soviets are stacking up on a corner, nading the campers, I'm charging right up at them. Usually this results in me rounding the corner onto a group of them who just do not expect me to be there [usually one is nading, just like yourself :p] - and as a result they tend to get cut down. 3-4 kills in the space of about a second is common.

It probably is CSish, but it works [just like every other super-aggressive tactic in RO:O]. Shoves me at or near the top of the scoreboard [100> on 2 rounds usually - and I'm not that good a player] which, although I'm not much of a score whore, shows that the tactic has at least some effectiveness. Plus I'm usually involved in any recaps that happen at all.

--Turkmenbashi

Upvote 0
I don't play realistically all too much [despite being OFP fan/ArmA player - I hate CS]. Servers don't suit it. You always have to die at some point. I'd prefer to whore my K/D, make an impact on the Soviet casualty rate and continually ruin the Soviet attack by cutting a massive swathe through it. If my team [usually a little difficult on public servers] want to move up behind and secure the trench, they of course can. I'll be able to shout at them when I solve my VOIP problem :p

Your second paragraph is the precise reason I prefer being Stosstruppe. Whilst the Soviets are stacking up on a corner, nading the campers, I'm charging right up at them. Usually this results in me rounding the corner onto a group of them who just do not expect me to be there [usually one is nading, just like yourself :p] - and as a result they tend to get cut down. 3-4 kills in the space of about a second is common.

It probably is CSish, but it works [just like every other super-aggressive tactic in RO:O]. Shoves me at or near the top of the scoreboard [100> on 2 rounds usually - and I'm not that good a player] which, although I'm not much of a score whore, shows that the tactic has at least some effectiveness. Plus I'm usually involved in any recaps that happen at all.

--Turkmenbashi

All I said was that you can kill of an entire wave without putting your own life at too great a risk. Chanses are that when you round that corner, they will be prepared for it.

Upvote 0
Possibly, hopefully I'll see you on a server sometime :p

And you'd be surprised how much people never learn or, if they do, don't seem to kill me all too often. And varying the route helps. But it's a general tactic of aggressive + hipshoot [I can't ironsight with the SMGs apart from a rested MP40/1 :D] + charge and it's rather fun :D

Upvote 0
Possibly, hopefully I'll see you on a server sometime :p

And you'd be surprised how much people never learn or, if they do, don't seem to kill me all too often. And varying the route helps. But it's a general tactic of aggressive + hipshoot [I can't ironsight with the SMGs apart from a rested MP40/1 :D] + charge and it's rather fun :D

You should try the Iron sighted STG. It's a beast and I wonder if they won't nerf it in the next patch. Still, I agree that IS is:

1. to slow
2. obscure your sight too much

to be used much in trench warfare. I really wish that they could add a third 'middle' stance for this. Right now I am forced to use hip-shooting when approacing corners to maintain speed and it really hurts my military feelings.

Upvote 0
I don't think since I don't know of the devs plans, but it is without question the best SMG in the game, well capable of mid-range action. Compared to the russian SMGs it is far superior in both firepower as well as accuracy.
It isn't an SMG as such, so you can't really compare it. Devs won't change it either - balancing weapons like that never was their goal.

That said, my favourite suicide-tactic is to go behind enemy lines (as a Russian) on Koenigs Platz as a tank crew member. Hide and go with the flow when the Germans respawn, they gray uniform often fools them... I have had riflemen aim at me for 2 seconds and then just turn and run to the frontlines when I didn't lift a finger towards them.

Then I go into the Siegesaule, pick up a few PzFausts, smack a guy from behind and take his Kar 98. Oh, there's the Tiger! BOOM! Then proceed to the front lines and start on one side and just move along the line... stabbing the prone enemies as I walk past. Or even better, get an MG and wreak total havoc.

Grey suit + MG 42 = some even walk past as I kill their friends... Haha. It's so much fun, until I die that is. It's sucide, but totally worth it. And it doesn't work many times in a row on the same server :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0