• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VGA box for systems!

Tak

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006
East Coast, USA
Ok. So i'm looking to just finally completely toss the TV. The only thing it's really used for is consoles. So what I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience with a good VGA box for consoles? Unfortunately, there is no native VGA support on the Wii (the only dumb move with the system, curse that decision N!) so there are no readily available VGA cables for it like there are for the XBox 360 or Dreamcast. (btw, dreamcast on VGA is pwn). Ideally, the box will support multiple composite/component inputs, but if it's just one that's fine too. Eventually, I plan on getting a monitor large enough to accept component or composite directly, but that involves going to 24" plus from everything i've seen, which is a bit out of the question right now.

So, any VGA boxes that users here have personal experience with and can recommend?

The Wii outputs 480i/p. That's it. It can do that through Component cables. That's all she gets. So to make it hook to my monitor I need either

a) a monitor with component input, which I do plan on getting at some point in the next year or so

or

b) a VGA box, that accepts composite/component inputs.

That said, I do have adapters so that I could make the composite cable video tag go to S-Video, but the problem is my monitor doesn't have that, only VGA! :)

So hence the original question, just looking for boxes that have good recommendations behind them.

Upvote 0
I currently own a mitsubishi Diamind pro 2040u, which supports vga/bnc/d-sub connections (though I'm not entirely sure if bnc is the same as component inputs, personnaly havent dealt much with all the varrying video inputs/outputs).

There are however converter's that will go from component to vga, and even found a cable that might work for you. Cheaper than a new monitor at least...

Hope it helps a little.

Shadehunter

Upvote 0
I spent some time looking into this a while ago, my TV is really poorly placed and I've nowhere to put it. For the sake of my Wii I'd like to get it going into my monitor/PC speakers instead.

I found this, looks like it could be good

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/934/VDigi-Electronics-Enhanced-VDZ3-Review/p1/

If I pick one of those up as well as a component cable

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=NW0068&refid=froogle

I should be able to get audio to my speakers and the video signal to my monitor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was looking at that same one (as it appears to be the only one really designed with consoles in mind), I was hoping someone had already bought one and given it a try :)

Looks like that's the best one. Have you had any luck finding others? If you do order it soon please let us know how it turned out, and I'll do the same if I get to order one before you.

Upvote 0
Im still not sure how its gonna connect, this image shows a VGA to composite cable, what would I use that for? I get where my monitor plug goes. And where the composite from (insert console here) goes, but how do I connect it to my PC?

packagecontents.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Connect the component cables to the converter box.
Plug the VGA cable to the pc monitor.

The audio 'Y' cable there on the bottom will connect you to your PC speakers from the phonos on the component cable.

The VGA to composite cable you are refering to is actually a component to the Xbox proprietory cable, so get a component cable for your wii to plug in there and you shall be sorted.

Upvote 0
Yeah. You'll want a VGA to VGA cable so taht you can plug the box to the computer.

............................ Compy
................................|
.....................VGA to VGA cable
...............................box
..............................|...|
.............................|.....|
....................console......monitor

That's kinda rough, but I hope it makes some sense :) And like Zefr said, that cable is the XBox cable, so is just an extra unless you have an XBox to hook up. I wish they sold a version without the xbox cable.

EDIT: damn thing took out all my spaces :p

Upvote 0