• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wolfstuka's first rifle

Wolfstuka

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2006
U.S.A.
Just yesterday I bought a Russian capture kar98k.:D I looked around on the internet for info about some markings I found on it but couldn't find what I was looking for, maybe one of you experts could help me out? On the left side ahead of the reciever are the numbers 8906 under which is the letter U.. does anyone know from what factory it was made? I hear that you could figure out by markings on it.

8906<-- it looks like that but with the U directly under the numbers
u

SRY no pictures unless someone can mail me their digital camera:(maybe I could use a web cam?
If more info is needed just tell me what you need.Anything else you guys could tell me about my rifle would be very appreciated.

Since it's russian capture, I doubt you'll be able to find out where exactly it was made. Especially since the stamped numbers seem to be russian serials, not at all like german.

Edit: Correction, did a bit of research and it seems all russian captured Mausers were initially dismantled, regardless of the condition they were captured in, and are mismatched. In other words, I think you're SOL....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are there any letters or numbers on it located where mine says DUV?

duv.jpg

If that's scrubbed it may be a yugo. capture.

Upvote 0
where DUV is at is the number 147 under that where the number 42 is at I have the date 1940.I really need to find a way to send a picture of it... can web cameras take pictures?

Yes, they can. Host it at a free hosting site of your choice, like putfile.com and then link it here. I'm sure a lot of us would love to see the pics (though webcams are usually kind of low-res...)

Congrats on your first rifle (may it be the first of many)! Make sure to give us a range report!! :D

Upvote 0
I finally got to shoot my 98k this past saturday. Unfortunately I was dumb and should have oiled the bolt a bit before I shot it.:eek: I got three rounds out of it before the firing pin got screwed up and wouldn't set off the bullets.
Otherwise it was cool, accurate,(as much as I can be)
and I got to shoot up an old computer monitor. The recoil is not as bad as I thought it might be. I had shot my uncle's Garand and that rifle REALLY kicked but my 98 was much more manageable.
I expect to do some real shooting with it this weekend or next though.

Upvote 0
Odd. I don't think Garands kick nearly as hard as Mausers.

Ditto. The Garand isn't bad at all. It's more of smooth push to the shoulder where as the K98 is a bit sharper. You're more likely to get a stinger from holding a K98 wrong than you are a Garand, though neither are really bad. Granted I've only been bothered by the recoil of 3 firearms in my life.

1. My Enfield #1 MkIII 2A1. Very sharp recoil that stings your sholder if you're not squared off perfectly. I can't stand shooting it from a bench position at the range. I'm either too tall or all the benches are too short. Tried my buddy's as well and it was exactly the same. You can tell the Enfield #1 wasn't designed for .308.
2. A Remington 12 Guage with a bent barrel. Fired it once, not fun.
3. An old stage coach (read very short barrels), double barrel 10 guage pulling both triggers at once. Again, not fun... but funny to watch others do it. :D

Lots of people complain about the Nagant M44's as well, but I really don't see why. I think the fireball coming out of the barrel must be messing with their heads.

Upvote 0
Garands shoot a 150 grain bullet and weigh more. A 98k shoots a 198 grain bullet (if your using surplus, except Romanian which is 154 grains) and weigh less. A 98k has more recoil. It could just be how you hold it makes it seem to have less recoil.

It could also be the stock design. I don't have my Garand or 98k in front of me, but IIRC. The butt of the stock on a 98k has more surface area than a Garand. So the recoil is spread out over more of your shoulder.

I personally feel more recoil from my 98k than my Garand.

Upvote 0
I finally got to shoot my 98k this past saturday. Unfortunately I was dumb and should have oiled the bolt a bit before I shot it.:eek: I got three rounds out of it before the firing pin got screwed up and wouldn't set off the bullets.
Otherwise it was cool, accurate,(as much as I can be)
and I got to shoot up an old computer monitor. The recoil is not as bad as I thought it might be. I had shot my uncle's Garand and that rifle REALLY kicked but my 98 was much more manageable.
I expect to do some real shooting with it this weekend or next though.

It might just be the ammo you're using, not the firing pin. I use surplus Turkish and the majority of them don't fire. If it doesn't fire, eject it and see if there's a small dent in the bottom of the case. If there is, then it's the bullet. On a safety note, if a round doesn't go off, don't try to shoot it again. Good luck with your gun, Mauser's are one of the best..and be safe!

Upvote 0
It might just be the ammo you're using, not the firing pin. I use surplus Turkish and the majority of them don't fire. If it doesn't fire, eject it and see if there's a small dent in the bottom of the case. If there is, then it's the bullet. On a safety note, if a round doesn't go off, don't try to shoot it again.
What? People restrike all the time. Nothing wrong with the practice.

If a round fails to go off, KEEP THE GUN SHOULDERED for a few seconds, in case it's a hangfire.

Anyway, if you're constantly getting failures to fire, especially that go off on a second strike, consider a stiffer/new striker spring. Milsurps often have worn out springs.

Upvote 0
I was always told not to do it, so I don't. I'd prefer for it to not blow up in my face or go off when I don't want it to. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

The only thing that might happen on a second strike is a pierced primer. The Mauser 98 action handles that better than just about any other rifle action out there. As long as you allow it to stay in the rifle to confirm it's not a hang fire you are not going to get hurt. Remember it's not like the rifle can't handle the explosion. That's what it's designed to do.:)

I'm just trying to help you save money on ammunition. Of course if you don't want all the ammo like that. I'll gladly pay the shipping if you'll give it to me. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0