• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

ArmA doesn't have very good sound system. It's like the weapons don't have echoes. There's a sudden stop in the sound.

So they only pumped up the graphics? :/

I found out that the sounds work quite well when you deactivate "hardware acceleration" in the game options, but enable "EAX"...

while the weapons don't have echoes, these things are eceptionally well done:
-Helicopters and tanks roar at a frightening level and realistically can be heard from kilometers away.
-Gunshots sound different dipending on whether they shoot at your direction or away from you.
-There is a clearly audible snap (allthough not as pronounced as dslyecxi would want them, I suppose ^^) when bullets pass you.
- The High Dynamic Range Audio works even more impressive than in OFP: loud sound make less loud sounds even more silent for a short period of time.
-Sound shadows: when an object/building/tree is between you and the source of the sound, the sound is muffled.

Upvote 0
OK, after installing, patching and language converting my German version I have finally had a go at it.

All I can say is wow... the game is all round a great foundation, but man the sounds, yee gods, I mean maybe I have been spoiled too badly by Ostfront but goddamn do the sounds **** ever so terribly. There is nothing even remotely sounding like a firearm in the bloody game, and I could swear there are recycled sounds from OFP! Not to mention the stupefyingly terrible voice acting.

The graphics are good and I can run it with everything on normal comfortably on my FX-55 1GB DDR and 6800GT machine, but why oh ****ing why is there not an option to specifically disable HDR?!?!! I mean goddamn it doesn't seem you can disable it at all, you have the option of putting post processing effects to low and suffering extremely ****ty looking lighting and having no other fancy effects for a minimal performance gain OR you can put post processing effects to high and have mediocre lighting and the nice effects with a tremendous performance loss. I'd like the high end post processing effects without HDR, it's like the scalability is limited.

HDR has never impressed me enough in any game to rationalise the performance hit you take by having it on, not having a specific option to disable it is just forcing everyone to take a huge performance hit and punishing people with middle to lower end systems. And here I was thinking BIS was above other developers who use their games to push tech upgrades on people. Also when it comes to the looks of HDR ArmA is not breaking any boundaries, in fact it is worse than a lot of other games that use it. For example post proc (and therefore HDR) on high, its high noon on a sunny day in Sahrani you look in the direction of the sun and everything looks as it should, nice and bright and there's huge glare from the sun itself, you look the opposite direction with the sun at your back and it looks like it's dusk. It is especially worse when around buildings, the world seems to gyrate between high noon and dusk as you turn around and walk in and out of the lee of buildings, I've never seen that happen in the real world before, and IMHO it breaks enviromental immersion quite badly. The changes in the way lighting looks also lag behind your movement very noticeably, like you turn away from the sun then straight back and it still darkens before it glares up again. Very poor in my opinion.

Overall I think this game will need some serious patching to get up to an acceptable level, overall it is a good starting point (as OFP was in its day before they fixed it) and no doubt modders will do awesome stuff with it. I can't help but be disappointed that BIS haven't learned from OFP and still released such a buggy game.

At least the AI is better though, well it seems to gyrate between outstandingly better than OFP and outstandingly stupid, but overall it's definitely better.

Upvote 0
I remember once in OFP me and a friend were on desert island and we had a hummer and a bunch of ammo crates and a car. We put about 200 satchels under the car and as my friend was crawling under the car to put the last satchel I ran to the hummer and drove off and he started screaming and running and I blew the satchels, next thing I know his body flies abou 100 yards past my hummer! :eek: Probably top 5 funniest things I've seen in my life.

Upvote 0
I remember once in OFP me and a friend were on desert island and we had a hummer and a bunch of ammo crates and a car. We put about 200 satchels under the car and as my friend was crawling under the car to put the last satchel I ran to the hummer and drove off and he started screaming and running and I blew the satchels, next thing I know his body flies abou 100 yards past my hummer! :eek: Probably top 5 funniest things I've seen in my life.

OFP was so fun for stuff like that, i remember putting loads of satchels with a bunch of vehicles on top and just having fun seeing how high they could go and stuff, the tractor always went the highest :p they could end up several kilometers away. When i first got the game i spent ages putting loads of scud missile launchers in the desert and seeing what would happen..until i realised they didnt actually do anything. :D

Upvote 0