• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CS is realistic!

And someone else said how CoH is realistic or something.

Well CoH is VISUALLY realistic.

I'm sure that 3\4 of cases F.E. when it comes to say that CS is realistic they pretty much mean visual quality. Gameplay then might not be, so it might be rather confusing advertising.

But then, I don't mind if a game ain't 100% realistic as long as the gameplay itself works (like CoH for example).

Upvote 0
'counter strike is realistic' was a valid statment in'99, perhaps not now, but clearly it's comparative.
"I don't play quake 4 anymore - i prefer CCS, it's realistic"
As said before realism could mean a lot of different things to many.

I think CS gets unnessary stick from some players of games like RO. It pioneered the (mainstream) desire for real-life weapons in FPS- which lead to true seminal realistic PC shooters, like Rainbow six and Op Flashpoint.
CSS is still great fun and suits for me for an hour every fortnight. A noisy, aggressive run-and-gun. Few games have achevieved what thay set out to do so well. My only gripe was it felt like playing scissors/paper/stone after a while.

Of course it's not as realistic as RO- but we are still just pressing our LMB to fire our weapons lets not forget.
Thats why i don't get slagging of CCS and its players. I know there's a lot of twats who take it too seriously, but a lot of casual gamers who just wanna unwind and not think too much play it as well.
It's fine not to like CS, but to passionately slate it and its players is snobbery IMO

Upvote 0
Yeah sorry i dont think ppl here have been overly knocking cs- and im not actually as bothered about it as i may have sounded in my post. But i hear it on servers : "yeah...he's probably a cs player" and "go back and play counterstrike idiot" and it just seems like a very common insult amoungst RO-players, with CS being looked down on.
Thats what i was commenting on.
However if you hold realism in FPS dear (as many of us do), its natural to knock a game that alludes to realism, even though it's the players that speak on its behalf.
But yes- getting back to your thread starter your mate at work is clearly deluded. Let him know if they run another free RO trial.

Upvote 0
My 2 pence about CS:S,

I bought HL2 through Steam so i installed cs:s while i was at it.
The game looked good, nice atmosphere, nice leveldesign, nice physics...all those things where nice and i liked playing it.

Then came the point when i was getting annoyed (is this spelled right ?) with the maturity of the community. 80% of the in game chat was going as followed:

CS1: You stole my kill !!
CS2: Stfu Noob !!
CS1: Nu calling me a noob ? nOOb ? wtf
CS2: **** U ****ing Noob !!! Get of this server or i'll pawn ur ass !!!
....and so forth and forth...

I liked the game but when the community are all imature little kids or guys who think there Godlike and can **** on everyone, I lose interest in the game very fast. That is why i deleted it from my HD and that is also the reason why i Like RO so much...

Upvote 0

The game looked good, nice atmosphere, nice leveldesign, nice physics...all those things where nice and i liked playing it.

Then came the point when i was getting annoyed (is this spelled right ?) with the maturity of the community. 80% of the in game chat was going as followed:

I liked the game but when the community are all imature little kids or guys who think there Godlike and can **** on everyone, I lose interest in the game very fast. That is why i deleted it from my HD and that is also the reason why i Like RO so much...

That's very true in almost all online games with RO being one of the exceptions, probably due to hte more mature player base. The incessant whining is one of thie things that put me off playing competative CS 1.6 and just recently CoD2 as I was finding myself sending PB screens and demos to Clanbase after almost every match due to kids crying about losing.

Upvote 0
That's very true in almost all online games with RO being one of the exceptions, probably due to hte more mature player base.

I think I have almost never seen that in UT2004. Worst thing I've seen in UT2004 while playing is people getting yelled at when using the minigun in LMS (mingun is big NO NO in LMS) but that has still been milder then what I have seen in other games, including RO.

Upvote 0
CS is realistic in that it uses weapons seen in the real world.

It is VERY unrealistic in how those weapons are deployed into the game. And to me that is what realism is in a FPS.

The Half-Life mod I liked the most was Firearms. It took a much more realistic approach to the actual weapons and had a semi character building system. I would have loved to see them port that game into the source engine!

I think RO has come the closest to making a great playing game that has the most realistic depiction and representations of weapons. I would love to see them make a CS clone, a Western Euro WWII clone, hell they can make a BF2 clone that would rock if they approach it like they did RO. *pst, I have lots of disposible income I would love to spend on the above games if you make them*:D

Upvote 0
No one is bashing CS.

I am, i think it fails at beeing fun.

AQ2, from which it spawned, was much more fun to play, if we're going to talk fun-factor, CS is = t3h loose considdering where it came from.

And as a "realistic shooter" its also a failure, its not nearly realistic enough to fit that catagory (bad weapon implimentation aside, what i really want from something like this is a slow stalking battle, like we know it from the R6 series or Infiltration, CS plays more like.. UT last man standing, but in a bad repetitive way that tries to look real but fails!).

Arcade doesen't have to be a bad thing, i love many mods and games that where/are very arcady, but you have to make a choice, either go with the "arcade fun" or go with the "grueling realism", sitting on the fence and trying to do both makes for very bad games in my opinion.

Now im not saying its the worst thing ever made or anything, im just saying i dont like it, it bores me to death, i dont see what the buzz is all about, it really is just UT LMS with real looking weapons that function like crap.
I played it a bit in the early betas because i hoped it would mature into something cool, but it didn't, it backtracked and got worse.

Upvote 0
If CSS was any indication of Real Life Combat:

-Counter Terrorists would arrive at the scene completely unprepared, as well as the Terrorists, who use their own pocket change to scrounge up Guns from god knows where.
-Bullets can actually leave the barrel of a gun anywhere from 35-90 degrees, or perpendicular if you will.
-A foot/handshot via the AWP would most certainly drop a lot of people, while a .45 Desert Eagle fails to puncture a Helmet and Skull.
-We would all have a Crosshair embedded visibly in front of ourselves.
-Full auto point blank is less accurate than a burst fire long range.
-WWII would have been heavily drawn out and would require massive amounts of ammunition from all the hip shooting.
-All people carry spray paint cans that magically spray their favourite shock picture/pr0n in a simple depression of the nozzle.
-People's backs would be out of place from all that awkward running.
-People can run faster with a Knife, despite the heavy MG they just placed on their back.
-People cock their guns. Always. Regardless of its previous state.
-Adjusting the Zoom on your Scope will register a weaker/more powerful shot.
-Shooting in advance or behind the person several feet will in fact take them down.
-Shotguns are really just pellet fed Rifles.
-Grenades have the same explosive power as a Christmas Firecracker.
-Visions of Flashbangs are tied to the sound of its explosion.
-Helmets somehow stop penetration of high calibur rounds from close distances, despite massive muzzle velocities of modern weapons.
-Men wouldn't climb ladders, but rather, slide up them.

And so on and so forth. Really, I don't think it's realistic in the least. It's a semi-decent LAN game with a bunch of friends when you're screwing around, but come on. Competitively? I barely liked this game when it came out, let alone enough to be still playing now.

Upvote 0

I played CS from Beta5 and still play it a bit today.

Reason... I am a clan member.
A good clan managed by mature, older people 18 to 50 year old members
(I am 23 and one of the youngest presently)

Rules advertised everywere

No whining or complaining (aka bs, wtf, gay, noob, I pwn yo mama, F word, B word...)
No hacking
No disrespect
We have a swear filter (some members play with their kids !)

And we promote team play...

So... those people usually get a nice warning when they break rules...
In most cases they can say server is g4y, why no swearing... you people ****...
So... I Kick them with a smile.... so they can come back and complain a bit more... then we ban...

Admin is always fun... :D

Talking about Clan Zero Tolerance for CS 1.6 (I am also known as =]ZT[=Silencer)
(Hopefully this weekend I can play RO with some of the members...)

In conclusion (and to keep this thread on topic)

Yes CS has PLENTY of little retarded kids being 1337 pwnz0rz...
But there are the odd wonderful servers for the good Mature people who just want to relax after a good day's work.

It is realistic in

Weapon Models
You die in the round... you are dead untill the 3 to 5 minute round is over (or till a team wins)

Unrealistic with almost everything else...

Those who think its realistic simply do not know all that much about videogames... they see well drawn people shooting mp5's and think... waw that looks realistic...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If CSS was any indication of Real Life Combat:
-People cock their guns. Always. Regardless of its previous state.
-Men wouldn't climb ladders, but rather, slide up them.

As I always say when my brother plays CS:S:

"Who greased the f$@king ladders?!"

The first post talking about your coworker saying that Insurgency is a CS clone reminds me of the days when I was at the computer lab at my school.

I used to watch my classmates play Age of Empires 2 when there were not supposed to be any gaming allowed on those computers. When I asked them why, they said the game was educational.

At that time I was 12 years old but I still didn't understand why the hell they thought that AoE2 is realistic. :rolleyes:

CS is fun, but the thing that turns me off is the sheer imbalance of it. The whole game is f**king unjust. Pistols<SMGs<Rifles=Machine Guns<AWM. No variety, all we have are a bunch of guys running around with rifles and AWMs.

The imbalance also applies to the skill of the gamers. Team stacking is very common and veterans never seem to want to help newbies with actually teaching them how to hit stuff. It always pisses me off to no end whenever I used to ask veterans what they do that makes them good and they just said "Practice." There are actually many different, specific ways to play CS good, but most vets seem to have no intention of helping others get better, only keeping themselves to stay on top. Bastards. :mad:

Upvote 0