• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Narva17March_B2 & RO-MuddyTigers

ViViD

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
Well for those that have been waiting, wait no more <wink>

What is MuddyTigers, well this is the name for the fictional tanks galore map, a bit of a spin on Tigers in the Mud. Read the followup post to this.

Download http://www.germansoldiers.net/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=78

(Thanks again to GS for use of there download space)

Changelog:

Farmhouse:
Sandbagged Windows
AmmoCrate added in Clothes Line Area
5 Panzerfausts added in Barn
Barn Doorway made larger
Sandbags to the side of house and removed fence

Ruins B:
Timber in the bathtub to get out, if stuck
Panzerfaust box changed to non snow version
Ammo crate added to back of ruins

Ruins A:
Ammocrate moved to stop hole in the floor
Timber plank on fence for T-34 load up if they choose

Axis Spawn:
Only allowed to have Two Tiger crewmen. (stop griefing to get into the tiger)
Mine protection added in final Axis spawn
Great Coats for Germans
Ammo zone for Tiger tank at spawn

Allied Spawn:
Lessened the slope in T34 spawn

Others:
Description of battle is included, plus tips
Terrain enhancements and more ground divets
Barrage is better
Shrubs now able to drive over
Binoculars for Mgers (simulate a MG spotter)
Ammocrates now give out ammo at a less rate. (once every 3 minutes)
Tiger is less prone to HE Damage
Finally a new awesome skin for the Tiger created by BrausePaul from German Soldiers.

Admins: The aHMT_RoVehicles files have changed and you will need to replace them.

Last edited:
Muddy Tigers

http://www.germansoldiers.net/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=79

Changelog: from Narva17

Well this is a tank heavy map but if you wish to play infantry all the classes are still there.

Axis Tank Load Out:
3 Tigers
4 PIVH
3 Stug

Allied Tank Load Out:
1 IS2
3 T34/85
4 T34/76
1 SU76
1 T60

Carriers now at second allied spawn
Unlimited tanks
25 minutes
PTRD soldier for allies
Objectives zones are slower to cap but bigger in area size.
Two Panzerfausts are respawnable every 60 secs
German spawn time reduced to 20 secs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Muddy Tigers is a nice Map, but it could use some optimization IMO. Very jerky performance for me.
You mean the lag? I think that it is because it is a huge map with a lot of detail.

A pity that only Muddy Tigers is played a lot, I prefer the normal 17March one. Maybe you could tone down the amount of tanks on Muddy tigers (or make it as it was, 2 (or was it 3) Tigers vs 8/10 russian tanks, I think that they can handle even more russian tanks. Then there are enough tanks for the tanker people but it still is the way it was supposed to be (a historical accurate map).

Upvote 0
As much optimisation is in place, unless you have better ideas to share that would be great, each building is a zone portal, the railway line has a anti portal as does around the german spawns.

Fog distance is large but need to be for long distance shooting. It runs well on most machines but if you have a lower video card you right it might struggle.

Lag is a seperate issue that has to do with server and game engine with tanks.

If Muddy Tigers is popular amoungst tankers and people more power to it.

I also prefer the historic one as does my clan and it gets played on our australian servers regularly.

Real War feeling = Narva 17 March.
Work Destresser = Muddy Tigers.

German Uniforms..... A guy on the RGN servers asked if he could do uniforms for the german I said that is fine so he has first dibs.

Next map:
Big Question, I would like to follow up with Narva 18 March, which is the german counterattack on the positions, but it might be too much over the same map, so I might continue on.

I have two ideas first one is totaly different and involves infantry in forested rough terrain with a very different objective ideas. Can't say to much otherwise someone will steal the idea hehehe.

Or I choose a battle elsewhere in Narva area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When I downloaded RO-Muddy Tigers from one server I got an error message saying that the aHMT_ROVehicles.u file was wrong.I had to remove this file from the Nava17March map before this new map would work.Is there any way of having both maps co-exist in practice mode,or do I have to choose one map.
Can I rename one of the aHMT_ROVehicles.u files so both work?

Upvote 0
The Narva17March_B2 and Muddy Tiggers are exactly the same, the Narva B1 is an older version, so unless the B1 is still on that old server, then all you can do is delete it out of you system directory altogether and it load the correct one in cache.

or I suggest making sure who ever has the B1 to update it, to B2. I hope this helps

Upvote 0
OK.

But Nava17March_B1 and Muddy Tigers have two different types of game play.
Beta1 had much less tanks that made infantry do more work. With the Muddy Tigers tweak the area is heavy on the tanks.Even though tanks are fun, I`m more of a foot soldier kind of guy.
Muddy Tigers is more or less a suicide run for infantry as German tanks cut us down from far away with shells or mg`s.

And you say Nava17March_B2 and Muddy Tigers are the same map(?).Why not have two kind of game play maps like before.Will you make a new map featuring more infantry like Narva 17 March_B1 or is this idea just gone with the wind.

So finally:there is no way of having the Nava17March_B1 map and Muddy Tigers map co-exist in practice mode?

Upvote 0
Nava17March_B1 and Muddy Tigers aren't the same, he said that because he was saying something about a file. 17March is still the historical correct map and Muddy Tigers is still the stupid tank map with too much tanks and useless infantry.

I haven't seen Narva17March since the new Muddy Tigers, really a pity.

I prefer that the next map is around Narva but not about this event. I'll search trough my book for idea's. I have a good one but it would need some AT guns.

Upvote 0
You mean the lag? I think that it is because it is a huge map with a lot of detail.

A pity that only Muddy Tigers is played a lot, I prefer the normal 17March one. Maybe you could tone down the amount of tanks on Muddy tigers (or make it as it was, 2 (or was it 3) Tigers vs 8/10 russian tanks, I think that they can handle even more russian tanks. Then there are enough tanks for the tanker people but it still is the way it was supposed to be (a historical accurate map).
Fantastic map. Loved the open spaces...just like real. Trouble here with lots of lag . Any idea of arty use in future versions?
:D

Upvote 0
Lag? Server lag or low rate of frames per second.

If your talking server lag, then this is a tripwire issue.

If your talking FPS, unfortunately this map is made for 6800 Nvidia Cards or up, there is not much I can improve here other then making more fog and reduce the visiable distance, not something I am prepared to do.

As it would take away from what the map is good at.

Upvote 0
Great map Viv and Doc. Keep up the great work and hopfully it will make mappers in the future create a higher standard of maps :).

Here is a little something that happened the other night on it

We dive for cover as the massive artillery bombardment takes its toll on our troops. As soon as it stops we dash to the right to ration out the limited supply of fausts before making our way to the outlaying craters and dig in, awaiting the Russian approach and ready to ambush. The MG at the ruins warns us of the approach and we jump out and take out the 2UCs and damage a T-34 who withdraws back to the railway. We propel the assault once more but without any fausts left we are ineffective and must withdraw. I throw the smoke and give the call, but as I make it from the crater a well placed HE round tears my two comrades into bloodied fragments. I make it back to the ruins, zigzaging the mg fire coming from a T-34 and stare as I see the fate of a handfull of my men on the far left. No smoke to cover them and MG fire usless a T-34 rushes the crater and a soldier with a smg in hand jumps of the back mowing them down with the aid of the tank. Stuck behind a 3ft wall I wait for the approch. I call for support and a anti-tanker comes to my aid but a lucky shot from a AP cuts him in two (was a AP since I would have died if it had been a HE), so I grasp his fausts and await the enevitable. Slowly my men are being picked off and two tanks are starting to bombard my position and realise I must make a move and now. This is when the Tiger finaly shows itself and saves the day by taking out one of them. Waisting no time I make for my right to the ammo dump as the other tank is preoccupied, I fire a faust but miss so change back to my main weapon... that is when a UC shows itself as it emerges from the smoke and shoots the weapon out of my hand. I quickly dive to the ground and fire a faust killing all but waste no time picking up my gun and reach the right of the ruins. This is when the ruins is breached and starts to cap. I risk a quick glance and know I have no chance so I just lay down and wait. Hearing some footsteps I get my pistol out and manage to fire off a clip before I get overwhelmed and taken out by a ruskie with a ppshi.

As soon as I regroup with my force at the Farmhouse we make a dash for the 2nd ruins but are forced to take shelter in the ditch beside the road, slowly but surly we make our way to the objective coming under intense fire from three intirly different directions, making a dash is suicide so we crawl. 50ft out from the ruins the ditch is exposed and the man taking the point gets mowed down, then the guy infront of me, then my two comrades at the rear. The only thing that saved my life was a trees trunk. To the corner of my eye I see the Tiger, our saviour, but is being pummeled from all four tanks and starts to smoke. Seeing its distructin approaching I make a quick dash to a overturned veichel and throw smoke infront of the Tiger as it makes its slow retreat and to get a better position. With the tankers distracted myself and a rifleman brake free from the ditch and rush the ruins. I make for the cellar while he goes through the back door, just in time to catch a HE round along with two others. The cellar is a mess and guns litter the ground showing a very recent bloody combat had taken place. Seeing the mg firing in the corner I move over to give him some ammo but as I do he goes down to a rifleman bullet, hitting him squarely in the forehead. Risking a look I see half a dozen men approach so I dump my weapon and grasped the mg and open up killing one. It is then that I get some reinforcements and another mg comes to join me. This is when all hell brakes loose. The distant explosion of the Tiger made all the Ruskie tankers focus on us. HE rounds cleared the main floor and a successful assault by the Russian infantry with a UC for support overwhelm our close left flank and swing around cutting us off for reinforcements. With the gun fire limited to the distance me and the other mg realize we are all thats left, and with nothing at all mobile to take back the building we cover each others back with me covering the cellar entrance and the hole in the wall. We last around 30sec until the ruskies realized we are down in the cellar and started to attack. First with men but they were no match for the mg so they started throwing grenades. A shadow from the hole in the floor made me turn and quickly make for the bath with a desperate leap. Warning my other comrade, but was to late as he took the grenade. Sheltered by the bath I set up my mg, barrel smoking I wipe out my pistol and stay hidden. I last a min or so before two guys rush in through the main entrace, I manage to take out one but got taken down by the other.

Well this is what happened last night for me as a German defending Narva. In the end the score was 2-1, were I have to hand it to the tankers as for the loss of one Tiger they managed to take out twenty T-34 so hats off to them. Not taking anything away from the ruskies who performed just as admirably. Although there was no real heroic actions or desisive moves that crippled a team it was one of the most atmospheric maps I have ever played. Being pinned by mg fire from three different locations and watching your buddies die all around you, or being ordered to assault an objective which has two aggressive tanks assaulting it, and having nothing at hand to take it out are both great examples of it. Of course those two experiences aint going to win the map but having the feeling that you have no control of the situation and feeling so vulnerable will make this a great map as the overall concept of being desperate and fighting to the last is better then any win in my opinion. Such as the first objective, you soon realize the value of the fraust and dont take it for granted and you see all the guys lining up to grab one and thats what they grab just one. You can't afford to waste them. Also the commander is really needed in this map and if you are inexperienced or shy on the mic dont go it. You need to utilize all your equipment. The smoke and definitely the binoculars as you need to keep telling your infantry and most important the tank crew were the enemy is as it is very easy to lose sight, the rally point helps alot! You will find yourself looking at a tank through your binoculars, blinking and finding it isn't there no more.

Lust a little fun. I died a couple of times and the conflicts were over a couple of minutes each but for the sake of the tale to run smoothly I had to make it so
yellowsmile.gif

Regards Luth

Upvote 0