• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stamina System

Watch the hijacking folks, this is about a stamina system, not panting, not (really) about hud, not about how good the old mod was, contribute or if you have a completely different idea make a new thread. Thank you please!

Hmmmm we have a new moderator. :)

In staying on topic, the panting (heavy breathing/gasping) sound effects are part and parcel to the stamina system. I feel the heavy breathing sound effects are too loud. I feel the same way about the footsteps.

Upvote 0
great idea and....

great idea and....

while at it, make wounds count more. I get hit in the leg and I slow down - until I wait a bit and run and then I move normal speed again. Like an old Roy Rogers western - He'd weekly be hit in the arm by a bullet, then he'd rub it and move his arm a bit and go back to fighting.

Make the wounds really count. Add in a slow loss of blood. Add in med kits (only for stopping bleeding) and add in medics - except on the Russian side. On the Rusky side just add in vodka.

Upvote 0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What the hell did i just say?

I don't want people arguing about blood loss, i want people arguing about my suggestion.

DO NOT turn this thread into an argument of any idea you want in the game.

Make your own thread.

I really hope you are joking

"add in med kits?"

I would really appreciate if you edited your post so this doesnt turn into 12 pages of medic/bleeding arguments.

Upvote 0
I think you misunderstand.

I am not suggesting that sprinting is replaced by instantly slowing down.

When a person gets to the end of his "stamina". Instead of sprinting full tilt untill it stops suddenly, have it slow down till the sprinting speed is the same as the jogging speed.

This means that when a person regenerates, it will be more realistic, as he will not just have a quick 3 second burst of speed, the player will regain some of his sprinting speed.

This is more realistic as people who get tired dont suddenly get a burst of speed then get so tired they can barely jog. It will mean that panting etc will make sense, as the person will be struggling for more oxygen to power their muscles, instead of just playing a sound effect.

In effect, it would not cripple peoples abilities from running from nades after they are tired.

Instead of being able to sprint for 2 seconds when tired then stopping, a player will just be able to sprint for longer at a slower speed till it is reduced to normal jogging speed.

Can we take this topic away from breathing aswell, you want to suggest it, do it in a seperate thread please.

I didn't misunderstand, slowing down sprinting when exhausted would make sprinting useless. You allways need to know can you keep your maximum speed under fire or not.

Now you know when you can't sprint becouse animation changes to jogging animation, how about if sprinting speed would be gradually slowing down, you really could not tell when your sprinting speed is slowing down? I would hate this kind of situation, not knowing can you sprint or can't you.

I really like sprinting to be on/off, either you can sprint or you can't. Sprinting should be allways maximum speed nothing less. You can immediatly see without using any HUD, that you can't sprint anymore and need to rest.

Upvote 0
I didn't misunderstand, slowing down sprinting when exhausted would make sprinting useless. You allways need to know can you keep your maximum speed under fire or not.

Now you know when you can't sprint becouse animation changes to jogging animation, how about if sprinting speed would be gradually slowing down, you really could not tell when your sprinting speed is slowing down? I would hate this kind of situation, not knowing can you sprint or can't you.

I really like sprinting to be on/off, either you can sprint or you can't. Sprinting should be allways maximum speed nothing less. You can immediatly see without using any HUD, that you can't sprint anymore and need to rest.

I mentioned how tapping the shift key could allow you to exert your "last drops" of energy if what you suggest became a problem.

How realistic is what you are suggesting?

If you have ran to the point where you can no longer sprint, as is the case now, after 3 seconds of standing still can you suddenly get a 2 second burst of speed and then you cant sprint again?

I dont know if you have ever ran much, but when i am really tired from running, i can manage only a jogging pace if i really push myself.

You say people would not notice slowing down, i disagree. I think there is a very noticeable different between sprinting and jogging, that is a reason so many people sprint to objectives instead of jogging, because they feel like they are taking to long to get to objective.

Another solution to this, although it would probably have to be in UE 3.0, is to have you be able to see your legs.

"You allways need to know can you keep your maximum speed under fire or not."

Now i misunderstand this point. When your stamina is too low now, you cannot move at all. All i am suggesting is instead of having a sudden stop, having a slow taper into exhaustion.

You would be able to notice if you were sprinting or not because when you took your finger off the shift key you would not notice a difference.

Obviously i am not involved in the game creation, but i think the basic principle of realistic exhaustion is a good one, and i think maybe even a better method could be devised than the one i have suggested. I dont think having all or nothing is the way to go though.

Upvote 0
I mentioned how tapping the shift key could allow you to exert your "last drops" of energy if what you suggest became a problem.

How realistic is what you are suggesting?

If you have ran to the point where you can no longer sprint, as is the case now, after 3 seconds of standing still can you suddenly get a 2 second burst of speed and then you cant sprint again?

I dont know if you have ever ran much, but when i am really tired from running, i can manage only a jogging pace if i really push myself.

You say people would not notice slowing down, i disagree. I think there is a very noticeable different between sprinting and jogging, that is a reason so many people sprint to objectives instead of jogging, because they feel like they are taking to long to get to objective.

Another solution to this, although it would probably have to be in UE 3.0, is to have you be able to see your legs.

"You allways need to know can you keep your maximum speed under fire or not."

Now i misunderstand this point. When your stamina is too low now, you cannot move at all. All i am suggesting is instead of having a sudden stop, having a slow taper into exhaustion.

You would be able to notice if you were sprinting or not because when you took your finger off the shift key you would not notice a difference.

Obviously i am not involved in the game creation, but i think the basic principle of realistic exhaustion is a good one, and i think maybe even a better method could be devised than the one i have suggested. I dont think having all or nothing is the way to go though.

I said only that you can't notice if your sprinting speed is gradually slowing down to jogging speed like you suggested. You must allways know when you are able to sprint at your maximum speed when playing.

Are we playing different game? There is no full stop after sprinting until exhausted in RO? You are smoothly jogging when your stamina is totally used, you are not stopping.

RO sprinting is quite realistic, you can sprint for a while and then can't sprint anymore becouse you need to rest by jogging to be able to sprint again.

Why you want to use your last drops of energy? You don't want to tap your last drops of energy in any situation when in combat, becouse you are allways running for your life, you never know when you need to sprint again. I don't want anykind of system when you have to stop after sprinting if you just have used your last drops of energy, this my opinion.

Upvote 0
I disagree. Most of the sprinting i do is just moving from place to place. I rarely have to "run for my life" as you suggest. Most competent players know how to cook nades.

When i say stop i mean comparitevely. You said yourself that you need to know when you can run at full speed, and i assume you mean trying to avoid grenades/snipers/mgs. The current system is no better than what i suggest.

If a grenade lands near you, and you are exhausted, it takes about 2 seconds to get 1 second of sprinting back. I dont see how running for a second then jogging is more realistic than sprinting at a slower pace longer.

If you cannot sprint from exhaustion, standing still for 5 seconds is not going to magically remedy it. Exhaustion in real life is not a energy bar, you dont use it up and then suddenly you are exhausted when you hit 'zero'.

What i suggest does not not allow for resting to be able to sprint, however, i think it is unrealistic and worse for the game to have people too exhausted to sprint then suddenly they can sprint for 4 seconds before they are exhausted again.

Life just doesn't work like that.

Upvote 0
I also disagree your suggestion, if you can't make anykind of idea how to show clearly that you are gradually loosing sprinting speed after you get exhausted from sprinting?

Jogging for 2 second to get 1 second back for sprinting is only game limit and I think it is somehow realistic. It means that you are running at exhaustion limit speed, you are running at high sprinting speed that you can't maintain for long time if you are too exhausted, therefore you must slow down to hold your breath to be able to run fast speed again. I think in game stamina doesn't mean tiredness, it is only exhaustion stamina.

I admit that in RO you are constantly under fire so you need to use sprinting constantly, but you have to use sprinting tactically so that in most important situations, like running through open fields and evading nades, you are at your full stamina or with enough stamina for quick dash. But this tactical speed advantage can't be allways achieved.

Upvote 0