• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medieval II: Total War

you no longer dismount Cavalry troops?
No, unfortunately not, which is a big loss, IMO.
(to MTW at least, didn't work in RTW, either, IIRC)
It was the perfect tactic for any sieges.
Now, Cav is almost useless unless you got the gate wide open...

Dismounted Gothic Knights were really werecking havoc for me before!

However, you can still train them as already dismounted, but it seems a bit stupid to me.

Upvote 0
I started another game as England. I also have one as HRE but it's entirely difficult, you can't trust anyone! You are surrounded by many countries and they all will attack you sooner or later, this includes Milan (who are filthy rich) Venice, Sicily, France, Denmark, Poland, and Hungary. I've yet to have Poland or Hungary attack me, but I've been worried about them before.

So anyway on how to make a good economy, you must make sacrafices. You need to create some merchants, get them on ships and send them to Timbuktu, there is plenty of gold and ivory there, or you can send them as far away as possible so they can set up monopolies. Keep in mind that the better the relations are with the country your merchant is in, the more money he will reap.

Also you need to focus on building economic buildings early, but then your army will be lacking, but it's really up to you. You will need to build diplomats if you do this so you can try to keep everyone from attacking you. Also make sure you have trade rights with everyone you can and build ports.

Also as a sidenote recruit a spy or two and put them in your most precious towns/cities to prevent enemy spies from creating unrest.

Upvote 0
Finally bit the bullet and bought time game, and as a result I'm getting sod all uni work done heh Playing as Scotland. Destroyed England and now pushing into France.

Can you no longer dismount Cavalry troops?

No, you cannot. I have no idea if they plan on patching that or not.

It's a carry over from RTW, where historically mounted troops did NOT dismount. Unfortunately, they either forgot, or were unable to put it back in MTW2.

It's a damn shame too because as France I can build some damn fine cavalry and they are practically worthless in both sieges and ambushes (I find most bandits hide in the woods rendering a good chunk of my army obsolete). The sieges are, IMHO, the best part of the game. It is simply TOO fun to assault a castle with a mob of peasants! (Go peons go!)

Frankly, if they had NOT removed some of the features from the original game (like this one), the game would be really awesome. Currently, I find it a bit frustrating.

Upvote 0
I personally find sieges boring, mostly because I'm on the receiving end and the ai is HORRID. Bastards sometimes just stand there when they control the gates and their catapults have crushed the entire wooden wall and wooden towers. So once I sent my general to bait them in, the first time it didn't work so I charged again and a ball from a catapult miraculously smashed into my general. :rolleyes: So I retreated the horses and I was quite out numbered, but the enemy didn't move. So I took the remaining cavalry and out another gate and flanked the catapults and charged them and watched as one was destroyed by another catapult lol. After taking them out I charged at the men on the outside of the wall, I hit them hard and then pulled back 100 yards, and to my amazement I had killed nearly 100 people just in a split second charge and only lose 3 of my horses. So I kept repeating untill my bodyguard was dead and they ended up killing about 600 men just by charging (this was a force of 20 horses).

So after they all died I sent my infantry in who were at the square and they slightly outnumbered the now battered opponent, but they folded and I lost Metz.

What I prefer are open field battles, with the varied terrain there are unlimited tactical possibilites.

Upvote 0
I personally find sieges boring, mostly because I'm on the receiving end and the ai is HORRID. Bastards sometimes just stand there when they control the gates and their catapults have crushed the entire wooden wall and wooden towers. So once I sent my general to bait them in, the first time it didn't work so I charged again and a ball from a catapult miraculously smashed into my general. :rolleyes: So I retreated the horses and I was quite out numbered, but the enemy didn't move. So I took the remaining cavalry and out another gate and flanked the catapults and charged them and watched as one was destroyed by another catapult lol. After taking them out I charged at the men on the outside of the wall, I hit them hard and then pulled back 100 yards, and to my amazement I had killed nearly 100 people just in a split second charge and only lose 3 of my horses. So I kept repeating untill my bodyguard was dead and they ended up killing about 600 men just by charging (this was a force of 20 horses).

So after they all died I sent my infantry in who were at the square and they slightly outnumbered the now battered opponent, but they folded and I lost Metz.

What I prefer are open field battles, with the varied terrain there are unlimited tactical possibilites.
Don't fight in the field when the Mongols come, they'll tear you to pieces. If you don't want to fight seiges against the Mongols, retreat to your rivers and hold them there. Its a natural chokepoint, so they have no manuverability if they want to assault you. Just make sure your ranged units can match or outdo their ranged firepower, else they can just hit you from the other side of the river.

Upvote 0
This game taunts me (as do all of you, posting about how cool it is :p)

Did any documentation get downloaded into the games directory when you buy it off of steam? a PDF of manuals/quick ref cards, etc?

Yes. While in your Steam Games List, right click on the game name, and select "game manual" It will take you online to a PDF file, which you can download onto your PC.

Although the manual gives you some basics, I would head over to www.totalwar.org and check out their forums. Their is a lot of really good discussion over there and you can learn a TON simply by checking out their FAQ threads. I learned so much I started the game over just because I realized how much I really needed to know.

Upvote 0
I've been playing as Danes for about 60 turns and I have run into a nightmare... HRE inquisitors!

HRE are nominally my allies but their witch-smellers pursuivant have been strolling into my army camps, sniffing around a bit and chucking my Generals into the pond to see if they weight the same as a duck. Then barbecuing them:eek:

My king was even taking a tour of the kingdom and got spotted using his left hand to write with and 'woof': royal hibachi.

Make them stop it!!!

Upvote 0
Just make chruch's in every town and priests in every town, then the only thing they'll fry is new priests lol. "What? I've only been a priest for a year! Aiee flames!" Also being HRE is a laugh, every nation on the planet launches attacks constantly, they'll not take me though, en-garde Poland, Venice, Sicily and France! I'll do what i did to the Milanese bahaha (no doubt Denmark will join in soon too)

Upvote 0
HRE is by far the hardest faction, thats why I stopped playing. Also the inquisitors are being looked into. God they attack spies that NO ONE CAN SEE lol.

I've got an English dynasty going and I'm building up, and I'm currently building a crusader army but I don't think I'll make it in time so I'll just sack a bunch of cities. Oh yeah I trained an assassin and eventually got him to kill the 38 year old pope! Then I had majority vote in the College of Cardinals and put my 40 year old Cardinal as Pope, ****ers! :p

Upvote 0
HRE gets attacked from all sides as well...but right now I'm dominating as England, Egypt never puts up a fight. I built up my island then went crusading, took Jerusalem, Gaza, and Cairo EASY, *then I quickly laid their revolting people to rest by pounding the good book through their head* So now Egypt is split and crippled and they have no allies since the Turks and Moors were dominated early on for some reason.

It's a really strange dynasty in only 100 years, Milan STEAMROLLLLEEEEEED France, good god they didn't stand a chance even though my best assassin was taking out EVERY SINGLE Milanese general he came across. Then the Turks were crushed within like 20 years, and the moors in about 50. So really that only leaves one muslim county in Egypt so their Jihad power blows now. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I defeated Scotland within 10 turns, the morons didn't bother to take any rebel settlements at all and they didnt bother to build new units, so I was like, well if you ain't going to do ****, you arn't going to be a good ally, and you arn't going to be a good enemy, so I killed them.

*arnold voice

Upvote 0
The more I play this game, the more it feels like a beta. I'm extremely frustrated after playing it for only a few days and that includes completely restarting a new campaign.

There are a ton of improvements over MTW1, but the buggy behavior and the ridiculous aggressiveness of the AI on the campaign map is pissing me off.

I'm going to set it to EASY and try as England. At least then I'll have some breathing room before everyone who boarders me backstabs me and then sends assassins, Killer merchants, and the deadly viper inquisition squad against me. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm having a hard time with the infantry aspect. I build Billmen and English Dismounted Knights (the ones with the spears that are supposedly good against infantry and cavalry), and I get slaughtered in sieges. I sent in about 180 Billmen in an attack, met a force of enemy spearmen, and they were slaughtering me. Then, the enemy sends in his cavalry! Aren't long spears effective against cavalry? Apparently mine aren't.

Upvote 0
I've restarted as Turks and having success. I didn't make the mistake I did last time, and concentrated on Byzantine only.

The turning point was when he sieged my capital with 750men and I only had 300, mostly cavalry. I burned his siege tower and all his man was stuck, trying to use 4 ladders to attack city. While I was keeping them busy with spearmen on walls, I charged my cavalry from behind to a 400 men "mass". The battle ended with my 150 casualties vs 300 captured and others died of his.

Then I allied with Hungary and made them attack Byzantine from behind, this greatly helped me :) Now I hold all the Anatolia, Byzantine is nearly finished. I just saw his 800 men army turn into Greek rebels :p

Turks are really good on offensive, if you make mixed armies of spearmen-sipahi's, only great numbers can stop you :)

Upvote 0
pfffft, Mongols are piss easy, all you gotta do is overwhelm the ceter of their line with heavy cav and drive off the flanking mounted archers with your own mounted archers. Take the fight to em you pussies.

Timurids are the ones you gotta watch out for. Elephants with freaking cannons on their backs!

AARFGGH!h!1!1!!11

Upvote 0