• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Miscellaneous small tips

Esko6

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2006
Finlandia
I decided to start this thread for small tips that don't deserve a thread of their own. So everybody, give out your secret little strategies and tricks. I will tell one that I use:

You are using a bolt and you spot an enemy with a bolt nearby, but miss your shot and start running for cover while the enemy is aiming to shoot back. When you are strafing back behind that wall or something from behind which you came from, try leaning left and right, it really messes some peoples aim up and you have a better chance of dodging the bullet.

1.Don't reload in close range! It takes much longer to reload than you think with a Rifle, so stab him with a bayonet! After the kill, reload.
2.Don't shoot too much with a Semi Auto Rifle in close range! Too many times, a semi rifleman will shoot all his rounds in close range, only to miss every shot, because of the recoil! Shoot once or twice.
3.Toss a greande! If your enemy is prone, toss a greande at him! Hes dead!

Upvote 0
If a person is firing at you from a doorway, and you both miss your shots and take cover, count 1.5 seconds off in your head. Round the doorway and kill the player getting ready to throw a grenade.
Yup, this first second or so, the guy is thinking "Okay, he's gonna rush me."

Then he thinks "OMG LOL HEZ GONNA THROWZ A NADE."

So this way, right when he switches to nades..... BOOM HEADSHOT!

Upvote 0
Yup, this first second or so, the guy is thinking "Okay, he's gonna rush me."

Then he thinks "OMG LOL HEZ GONNA THROWZ A NADE."

So this way, right when he switches to nades..... BOOM HEADSHOT!

This is a classic "rock, paper, scissors" situation. In this case the three options are "nade, rush, aim." Two players behind cover at fairly close range? The one who throws the grenade will kill the one who has gone to iron sights waiting for his opponent to emerge. The one who rushes in will kill the one who has put his gun away and pulled the grenade. The one who goes to iron sights will kill the one who decides to rush.

If both choose the same option, of course, it's a matter of luck and skill as to whoever gets the other first.

Upvote 0
This is a classic "rock, paper, scissors" situation. In this case the three options are "nade, rush, aim." Two players behind cover at fairly close range? The one who throws the grenade will kill the one who has gone to iron sights waiting for his opponent to emerge. The one who rushes in will kill the one who has put his gun away and pulled the grenade. The one who goes to iron sights will kill the one who decides to rush.

If both choose the same option, of course, it's a matter of luck and skill as to whoever gets the other first.

Not really. Grenades are easy to spot, and it's usually not too difficult to find cover when you see it. If possible, rush the bastard and blow his ass away before he pulls out his rifle. If you have a bayonet, stab him. Or just get behind cover and bring up the sights.

Upvote 0
Not really. Grenades are easy to spot, and it's usually not too difficult to find cover when you see it. If possible, rush the bastard and blow his ass away before he pulls out his rifle. If you have a bayonet, stab him. Or just get behind cover and bring up the sights.

I don't think you understand.

"Grenades are easy to spot, and it's usually not too difficult to find cover when you see it." This doesn't apply when you've already taken cover and your opponent chucks a grenade behind you. It's either going to A) flush you out where he can kill you with his gun; or B) blow you away before you even see it if he primed it before throwing it.

" If possible, rush the bastard and blow his ass away before he pulls out his rifle. If you have a bayonet, stab him." Read my post and the ones I was responding to, from Snakedude and Venkman. The scenario is you and your opponent have both missed on your first shot, then gone behind cover. As I said, the guy who rushes will beat the guy who pulled a grenade but not the one who has already gone to irons sights and is just sitting there waiting for you to show yourself.

"Or just get behind cover and bring up the sights." Which brings us full circle. If he rushes, you win. If he throws a grenade, you're dead.

Maybe you don't know what the "rock, paper, scissors" game is?

Upvote 0
I don't think you understand.

"Grenades are easy to spot, and it's usually not too difficult to find cover when you see it." This doesn't apply when you've already taken cover and your opponent chucks a grenade behind you. It's either going to A) flush you out where he can kill you with his gun; or B) blow you away before you even see it if he primed it before throwing it.

" If possible, rush the bastard and blow his ass away before he pulls out his rifle. If you have a bayonet, stab him." Read my post and the ones I was responding to, from Snakedude and Venkman. The scenario is you and your opponent have both missed on your first shot, then gone behind cover. As I said, the guy who rushes will beat the guy who pulled a grenade but not the one who has already gone to irons sights and is just sitting there waiting for you to show yourself.

"Or just get behind cover and bring up the sights." Which brings us full circle. If he rushes, you win. If he throws a grenade, you're dead.

Maybe you don't know what the "rock, paper, scissors" game is?

1) If he's standing in the doorway when he chucks the grenade, you blast him and THEN run away. If he's not, you simply get up and run away from the blast.

2) Yes, you can kill a nade thrower by charging them normally.

3) Nope. If he throws the grenade so accurately that he can hit you behind cover, he has exposed himself. You shoot his ass, then run away from the grenade.

Upvote 0
The golden rule: Don't panic!

It might just be me, but whenever I run into an enemy in CQC, or in any situation for that matter, I frenetically try to take him out right then there, exhausting my options in the space of a few seconds, by which time he would have already killed me. Remember: stop, aim, shoot. Move if you have to. But take your time with your shots. Don't fire blindly like a retard on fire, that will get you killed.

Upvote 0

When I find myself in this situation, but on the other end of the stick, (inside the doorway) I usually fall back into the next doorway and wait there. (If applicable, it usually is) That way, if the enemy rushes in I can have my iron sights on him, while if he throws a grenade in I can easily get away because I'm already half in the next room.

3) Nope. If he throws the grenade so accurately that he can hit you behind cover, he has exposed himself. You shoot his ass, then run away from the grenade.
Aren't you neglecting to take into account the time this takes? A grenade doesn't even need to be cooked off to be kill you before you can get away from it. Unless you can get a solid object between you and it quickly or run around a corner before it blows, you're often in the path of some serious splash damage, even if you sprint away. You're talking 3 seconds (that is, if it's not cooked) to aim, fire accurately, and move a sufficient distance away from the grenade.

That leads me to another tip regarding grenades.

Save your grenades. Don't just throw 'em into objectives without first being absolutely sure there is an enemy in there, because chances are you'll kill your teammates who are in there trying to capture the objective. Same applies for any building you saw enemies coming out of before you died. Don't just make a beeline back to that position and throw a grenade in there without checking that the enemy is still in there, because for all you know one of your buddies might have just gone in there and cleared them out, only to be killed by your grenade. (This happens to me all the time)

In short, don't just toss your grenades all over hoping to get lucky kills. That tactic may work well in Call of Duty (so long as friendly fire is off) but here it leaves a lot to be desired. Save them for when you need them to flush out a difficult enemy blocking your path. Especially since hand grenades are very powerful weapons with a larger blast radius than the grenades in most other games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you can not hit someone at a distance with a rifle (if you **** with rifles like me), shoot in their general direction to keep their head down. This will often lead to change in behavior of the enemy, therefore changing the dynamics of the game.
To hit a running enemy at a distance, aim a full body length ahead of him in the direction he is running.
In the beginning, when you have plenty of reinforcements, be aggressive. The aggressore usually wins. Switch to a less aggressive stance as your reinforcements dwindle.
Use the third position in the tank, the extra machince gun, in combine forces maps. They are rarely used by can rack up kills.
The most important thing,..............USE A FREAKING MIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Try and read other players actions.
If you hear reloading, charge for the attack/melee.
If you've had a bit of a firefight and it's gone quiet they're either waiting for you to come or getting a grenade out.
If you're an axis player on Odessa, and the Tower has been captured GET YOUR ARSE TO THE HEADQUARTERS SQUARE YOU ****!
or
Focus on your objectives and help your team.

Upvote 0
1. PPSh-41 is the ultimate CQB weapon.
2. Don't *spak spak spak* with semiauto-rifles. One bullet, one kill.
3. Sometimes running over is more efficient than MG fire.
4. Yell at sniper for not sniping MGs first.
5. If you're in doubt, toss limonka/Steilhandgranate in!
6. Once you find out MGs in defensive map, typical public attacking team has no change.
7. Covering fire actually works sometimes.
8. Dont count "One Mississippi, two Mississippi..." when cooking limonka. Count "One Neva, two Neva..."
9. Don't bayo-stab enemies who are trying to throw a grenade.
10. Teamwork.

Upvote 0
Don't be afraid to stab. Many times bolters are killed because they insist on bolting 4 times in a row in close combat. If you miss your first shot, go for the stab.

Depending on the range, I'll go in for the bayonet stab right away.

And many times, you're better off running towards a flying grenade.

Upvote 0
Aren't you neglecting to take into account the time this takes? A grenade doesn't even need to be cooked off to be kill you before you can get away from it. Unless you can get a solid object between you and it quickly or run around a corner before it blows, you're often in the path of some serious splash damage, even if you sprint away. You're talking 3 seconds (that is, if it's not cooked) to aim, fire accurately, and move a sufficient distance away from the grenade.
Blatently untrue. I have, MANY times, gotten up and sprinted away from a grenade that landed next to me, surviving without a scratch.

Upvote 0