• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stamina System

AKA

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
I dont think this has been suggested before, nothing came up in the search.

How about having it so instead of having a "bar" of stamina, that decreases when you sprint or jump, why not have it so that when a player runs, instead of just magically coming to a cut off point, where you can no longer sprint, why not have the running speed gradually decrease till it is no faster than jogging.

This way, a stamina bar on the hud is not needed (although its not particularly intrusive atm) and as a player starts to pant, the player will notice his speed decreasing.

This would mean when you are trying to run from a sniper/grenade/mg'er you wont suddenly find yourself out of stamina and moving very slowly.

I would suggest a sliding scale, so for what would normally be classed as half the players stamina, the player would sprint at a normal speed, however, after the first half is gone, it should start decreasing untill the player is at jogging speed. Although play testing would probably be better at determining the exact values.

If the reducing speed is a problem, perhaps allowing the player to (gently) tap the sprint key to use up the remaining stamina more quickly while going at the same speed. By tapping i dont mean some finger breaking speed, i just mean a gentle tapping every second/half second to indicate to the 'code' that the player is trying to sprint at full speed. Although this option might be unnecessary and is kind of tacked on to the original idea.

If you like this idea, and want it to get noticed, dont forget to rank it.

Last edited:
I dont think this has been suggested before, nothing came up in the search.

How about having it so instead of having a "bar" of stamina, that decreases when you sprint or jump, why not have it so that when a player runs, instead of just magically coming to a cut off point, where you can no longer sprint, why not have the running speed gradually decrease till it is no faster than jogging.

This way, a stamina bar on the hud is not needed (although its not particularly intrusive atm) and as a player starts to pant, the player will notice his speed decreasing.
Great idea, it would definately improve upon the RO experience. However, if the stamina bar itself is to be removed, then the signs of stamina depletion should become more pronounced and obvious (more heavy breathing, panting, stumbling perhaps, field of vision wobbling), in order to correctly ascertain the amount of stamina you have left.

Upvote 0
Great idea, it would definately improve upon the RO experience. However, if the stamina bar itself is to be removed, then the signs of stamina depletion should become more pronounced and obvious (more heavy breathing, panting, stumbling perhaps, field of vision wobbling), in order to correctly ascertain the amount of stamina you have left.

Personally, the stamina is kinda anemic, the player takes ten running steps and is already "huffing" loudly. People don't seem to realize that the overly loud footsteps (sounds like all the players are a wearing "swim fins") and gasping for air give the player away to the enemy. The foot steps and the heavy breathing are IMHO, exaggerated and should be toned down some. Just a suggestion....:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm completly playing without hud (except for dms and chat)- imho its a WAY better RO experience that way. And I dont even need the infos anymore: I listen to my breath / the tank gun's loading sounds and count my reloads.

@topic:
I really like the suggestion. But you the slow down shouldnt start until half of the stamina-bar is used (so not untill you start huffin'n'puffin ;) ). I'd say the sway should get worse like that too.

Upvote 0
Personally, the stamina is kinda anemic, the player takes ten running steps and is already "huffing" loudly.

Run in full combat gear, in the heat, on uneven terrain, and see how long YOU last before you start breathing heavily. Personally, I find RO's stamina system to be fine, though there should be greater penalties for running through deep snow/mud/swamps, etc., though it's likely the engine wouldn't know the difference.

Upvote 0
Run in full combat gear, in the heat, on uneven terrain, and see how long YOU last before you start breathing heavily.

Please, don't get personal.... this is a debate about a feature in the game. What I accomplished during my service years is MY business. You know nothing of what I did, how many years I did it or where I did it.

The fact remains that in the game; The heavy breathing comes on way too soon and it, along with the footseps, are much too loud. I cannot begin to say how many times I paced the arrival of an enemy using both his loud, heavy breathing and his loud clumpy footsteps. I was able to nail each and every one.

Upvote 0
No, don't change this anyway. This is simply good as it is. Too many times I have pressed shift to only notice you can't sprint becouse you are breathless. If you make it slowing down sprinting is useless after that. When you make sprinting speed slowing down, you really can't know when your speed slows down becouse your eyes are allways focused on enemies not your sprinting speed. I really like to know when you are able to sprint as fast as you can.

My opinion is that breathing voice should not be any lower, becouse you really can't hear it well in this game anyway. Same with footsteps, they are just fine. And in reality there is a lot of combat tension which makes you breath heavily, even if you aren't exhausted.

Please don't mock people when you really don't know them and what they can do or can't do.

Upvote 0
Why is there a bar, anyway? There wasn't one in the mod, and I liked that a whole lot more.

Agree. I turned all off except weapon info, and have no problems. I wrote this, to show everything except this is unnecessary. Also the so called "compass" is the most useless addition ever. I liked the old clock better.

I agree with the initial idea. Gradually decreasing speed from walk>run and run>walk should be easily made code wise. We already have it when you're hurt in legs.

Upvote 0
No, don't change this anyway. This is simply good as it is. Too many times I have pressed shift to only notice you can't sprint becouse you are breathless. If you make it slowing down sprinting is useless after that. When you make sprinting speed slowing down, you really can't know when your speed slows down becouse your eyes are allways focused on enemies not your sprinting speed. I really like to know when you are able to sprint as fast as you can.

I think you misunderstand.

I am not suggesting that sprinting is replaced by instantly slowing down.

When a person gets to the end of his "stamina". Instead of sprinting full tilt untill it stops suddenly, have it slow down till the sprinting speed is the same as the jogging speed.

This means that when a person regenerates, it will be more realistic, as he will not just have a quick 3 second burst of speed, the player will regain some of his sprinting speed.

This is more realistic as people who get tired dont suddenly get a burst of speed then get so tired they can barely jog. It will mean that panting etc will make sense, as the person will be struggling for more oxygen to power their muscles, instead of just playing a sound effect.

In effect, it would not cripple peoples abilities from running from nades after they are tired.

Instead of being able to sprint for 2 seconds when tired then stopping, a player will just be able to sprint for longer at a slower speed till it is reduced to normal jogging speed.

Can we take this topic away from breathing aswell, you want to suggest it, do it in a seperate thread please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm completly playing without hud (except for dms and chat)- imho its a WAY better RO experience that way. And I dont even need the infos anymore: I listen to my breath / the tank gun's loading sounds and count my reloads.

@topic:
I really like the suggestion. But you the slow down shouldnt start until half of the stamina-bar is used (so not untill you start huffin'n'puffin ;) ). I'd say the sway should get worse like that too.

tried that and it rocked but i got confused about how much clips i got left for my rifle, so i turned that bit back on... somehow i couldnt keep just the clip amount showed..

anyway, i like the suggestion, it would be like operation flashpoint's stamina system the way i see it.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with this thread.

I really think that the bar should be removed, but I also think that the bar drain and rechange times should be longer like they were in the mod, and the breathing sounds should be a little louder too. (not to other players)

Back in the mod I allways felt that the stamina was better than any other game I had seen, how much I had, how far I could run, it was all a mystery and guesswork, I even felt the same as I do when I'm guessing how much further I can run when I play Paintball. And since you had to wait a LONG time to recharge it, I allways held the stamina with more value than I do in other games, because once it was gone I was a LOT more vulenerable.

But with the new system, I can pretty much know almost how far I can run on how much stamina I got left, and the breathing doesn't sound as loud or pronounced anymore. And since the stamina drains and recharges so quickly, it feels a LOT less real than the mod version and it isn't nearly as precious as it was in the mod.

I would much rather have one LONG amount of stamina and have to wait a LONG time to recharge it than 3 or 4 small amounts of stamina that recharge in a 30 second sitting.

So thats my opinion, I like a lot of the ideas you guys came up with too.

But as for the compass, I say leave it, I still find it useful on maps I'm not experienced with, and I'm sure a lot of new players appreciate it when they are just getting started.

Upvote 0
Please, don't get personal.... this is a debate about a feature in the game. What I accomplished during my service years is MY business. You know nothing of what I did, how many years I did it or where I did it.

The fact remains that in the game; The heavy breathing comes on way too soon and it, along with the footseps, are much too loud. I cannot begin to say how many times I paced the arrival of an enemy using both his loud, heavy breathing and his loud clumpy footsteps. I was able to nail each and every one.

Yes, I do agree the footsteps are a bit loud, but do remember we are talking about the combat boots of the 1940s, i.e., hobnail boots which do make more noise than the boots issued to troops today.

As for the heavy breathing, it's a bit loud, but not by much, but it certainly does NOT come too soon. I tested it on the shooting range map and determined it kicks in at about the 50 meter point, or roughly half the lenght of a football field, and it completely drains out at 100 meters, or roughly 25 seconds. LOL, you must've been some sort of super soldier in your day, but I and most other soldiers I know would be starting to breathe heavy as well.

As for "your business," I couldn't care less. I simply related my feelings on the matter based on what I have accomplished during my service years. You, as well, know nothing of what I did, how many years I did it or where I did it. It wasn't meant as an insult or a put-down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i over all felt Ostfront is generally easier to play then the mod.. its a whole lot easier to spot people then it was in the mod. back in 3.3 i was so happy with every kill i got, cause you first had to really find them, they blended in so well into the environment.. now im racking up kills like a maniac and only the really special kills feel as good as any one of the kills i got in the mod.
there was less info too, i liked that a lot.. i loved the fact that you had to determine by the heavy breathing how much longer you could continue.
first time i looked at the new paperdoll in Ostfront after sprinting a while, i was confused as why my soldier had such large feet. stretching out well outside the boundaries of the pants.. later i realised its a fecking stamina bar and i was kinda disappointed

Last edited:
Upvote 0