• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wanna fix nade spamming?

I like how people are against limiting movement while throwing a grenade.

Realistically, grenades like the F1 would never be thrown while out of cover. You know why?

They had a maximum throwing distance of 30-45 meters. The shrapnel had a lethal or wounding capacity out to 30 meters.

That's why it's called a defensive grenade. You threw it while you were under cover, so the fragments from the explosion wouldn't kill you. If you threw it while out of cover, you had as much chance of being killed by shrapnel as did the enemy.

For a grenade like the Model 43 Stielhandgranate, there were nearly zero fragments generated by the blast. It was an offensive grenade, which means you could throw it while assaulting a position and not under the best of cover; you didn't need to worry about getting killed as long as you were out of the range of the concussive blast, which was relatively small.

I guess you could compare throwing an F1 grenade out of cover to dolphin-diving. It would end in pain, but was possible to do.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but I'm so sick of this wah wah wah crap. People want realism and then complain when there killed. Grow up and suc it up. If 10 guys are rushing you and carrying 2 nades each it is not unrealistic to see 10 or 15 nades incoming. Throw YOUR dam nades back at them or complain to your squad leader. If I can get close enough to throw nades at you, tough, THAT"S MY JOB, TO KILL YOU. This isn't kindergarden.

It reminds me of that scene in Saving Private Ryan where there coming up the beach getting wasted, one guys looking around for his arm, and this one guy screams out "just give us a fricken chance". Now I understand his fustration but what kind of crap is that? Same thing here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sorry but I'm so sick of this wah wah wah crap. People want realism and then complain when there killed. Grow up and **** it up. If 10 guys are rushing you and carrying 2 nades each it is not unrealistic to see 10 or 15 nades incoming. Throw YOUR dam nades back at them or complain to your squad leader.

Yet another ignorant person comes on here and accuses me of whining about grenades. I will reiterate myself just for you Jamer and say 90% of the time, I am the guy people are probably whining about with the grenades.

Upvote 0
ok, noob chiming in here. I don't personally see anything wrong with the nades as they are. And this is coming from someone who is still learning how to see them flying through the air. (which means i get killed by them a lot). But I'm confused, is the argument that they shouldn't be so deadly, accurate, or that you can run with them?

If you can run with them on your belt, you can run with them in your hand, right? I mean the weight is the same, so you should be able to have a running start to throw it farther, that's how outfielders in baseball throw so far.

Upvote 0
In game, after much complaining and a negatively slanting nickname (mini-nukes), the F1's power was dramatically reduced when compared to the mod. I'm not one of those guys who gets nit-picky on statistics, but 'out to 30 meters' is NOT whats happening in game. Sorry, they simply dont kill that far away. Out to 30 meters implies a radius of 30 meters (from the center out), which is not even close to whats happening in game. Even if the radius was 15 meters... the nades in game come nowhere close to that kind of power.

This is the real reason that this thread was made -
Brooks said:
People on maps such as Danzig or Odessa run out and throw both their grenades at the enemy and it totally ruins gun fights, which to me and many others I know what makes RO so special from the rest of the game.

Its a personal preference of some to have mainly rifle battles. Hey, I agree... those are fun, but very singular in terms of what is actually going on in game, or could be going on in game I should say. Personally, I dont see anything unrealistic with running and throwing a nade. Certainly not when compared to alot of other unrealistic things happening in game <~~key word here.

I'm also starting to believe that simply creating a negatively slanting nickname will get things changed in this game. This isnt aimed at anyone, devs included, but I'm noticing patterns here.

Anyway.... what does a baseball player do when he wants to throw a guy out at homeplate? He takes a three step run (maybe more) and puts all of his body power and momentum into throwing the ball... why shouldnt we be allowed to do what seems like a very simple action?

Upvote 0
Yet another ignorant person comes on here and accuses me of whining about grenades. I will reiterate myself just for you Jamer and say 90% of the time, I am the guy people are probably whining about with the grenades.

Listen mbrooksay, I could give a ****e if your that guy or not. Thats not the point. Your the one who originally said," take running out"," totally ruins gunfights" and "huge problem with cooking". I never stated your name and accused you of anything directly and your calling me ignorant?
That been said I am not flaming or even angry, just get it right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like when map makers limit grenades on their maps. Kolno, Warsaw & Tula are some examples. The gameflow definitely has a different feel to it.

Nades in RO do seem to be thrown at realistic distances though, they just seem to go further because of the FOV/fisheye effect.

I like the way nades are handled by Red Orchestra, and their use can be tweaked by the mappers.

Upvote 0
It seems like some people treat their grenades as their primary weapon. They run around with one in their hand and throw it when they come across an enemy, then switch to their secondary weapon (their rifle!).

I think there are just too many damn nades used in a round.

I think they should be limited the same way reinforcements are. Each side has a limited number. If one side does a lot of nade spamming they should run out of nades. Or they could be rationed out between players, i.e. you have your own personal supply (but still only carry 2 per life). Spam a lot and you run out.

Upvote 0
why shouldnt we be allowed to do what seems like a very simple action?

Because RO can be a lot more fun without grenade spamming. That's why.

Maybe we can ****can the running idea, and just make it so that it takes you around three seconds to pull a grenade out. Maybe even two seconds.

I just want less grenade spamming. Some players in RO rely totally on grenades for a majority of their kills.

Upvote 0
Some players in RO rely totally on grenades for a majority of their kills.

So? Few things beats the intensity of clearing the trenches on Lyes Krovy, advancing from corner to corner using the grenades of the germans foolish enough to remain staionary. The alternative is to run in guns blazing, but that is as foolish as it is an unrealistic thing to do. So yes, I spam grenades on maps like that and I most probably gain most of my kills from this. And I'm proud of it!

Edit: It should be noted that about half of my deaths are from trying to pick up enemy grenades when another, living, enemy comes by. Still, it's totally worth it. If I only had some backup...

Upvote 0
Actually, it was originally Crim's idea, but I liked it so much I decided to suggest. Are you going to poop in your panties because I suggested something, whether you disagree or not? At least it's not nearly as moronic as motorcycles in RO.

Name calling usually results in a debate when one or more debaters run out of facts to use.

*Any* controls imposed upon RO and the Server Admins that are NOT optionally controled by the Server Admin are indeed unwelcome and obscene.

Upvote 0
Because RO can be a lot more fun without grenade spamming. That's why.

that may be true for some players, but I can't believe that it's true for all players. I like the nades the way they are, and they are just another part of infantry fighting. It doesn't really seem fair to try and force people to use their weapons in any certain way, just because some people don't like it, don't you think?

[quot=mbrooksay]I just want less grenade spamming. Some players in RO rely totally on grenades for a majority of their kills.[/quote]

that may be true, but that doesn't mean that they should be changed. I mean i like rifle battles too, but without the nades flying around the rifle battles get old pretty fast. I was playing budapest on a server without any nades, and those 'rifle only battles' got old in a hurry. I'm not saying i'm a master or anything, in fact i totally ****, but not having to worry if a nade is going to come flying over the wall i'm hiding behind just took a lot out of the battle for me. Just my 2 cents. :)

Upvote 0