• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I played 3 rounds of danzig last night before I went to bed... first round I was soviet, the others I was German. Soviets won the first round and the germans won the other two (I didnt lose that night :) )

Any ways, I think its very balanced. With all of the cover and sniping windows, the soviets should have no problems taking the bridgeheads... and equipped with the PPSh (which is a better close quarters weapon than the MP-40 in my opinion) they have multiple entrances to the command center. Now the Langer is a challenge to storm, but with a coordinated team, the russians shouldnt have any problems. But put some well orginized germans in that rubble, and its a whole different story... it all depends on whos playing.... which is a symptom of a balanced map.

Upvote 0
I don't find the map to be that hard for the russians. I am usually a Russian strelok and usually win and be in the top 4 on the server. You just need tactics and to know where all of the paths lead and how to flank on that map. Altough it is getting tougher now that people know the map so I can't go around a flank and bayo 6 people anymore. :)

Also I win on Germany it's a balanced map. And is a good urban tactics map.
And if you become good with a rifle you will light that map up.

Upvote 0
I dont really pay attention who wins danzig all the time although I do remember the Soviet side winning a few times.

My concern with danzig:

There is no good spot on the German side of the river to hide and use the Mg, sniper rifle or just a nonscoped rifle every building or area has 20 (slight exaggeration) different ways for enemies to come in or to get flanked it feels like DOD_Donner a little bit execept there's a bit more cover in donner. I am well aware that the Soviets are storming into this German city and getting flanked is enevitable but it should be more difficult like on other Ro maps some areas should be well protected because the Germans did set up defenses for an on comming attack and bombing a city does not automatically make a perfect holes for enemies to flank from . My 2 cents.:cool:

Correct. That's my main problem with Danzig - you can set up a nice tactical defense as germans, with rifles, MG, StGs, Defenders taking up Iron Sights - and then some PPsH Bunny comes running trough a side tunnel and hipshoot/sprays all the defenders down.

In a real war, I would expect positions to be fortified such that the enemy is channeled into certain kill zones. You would never try to defend a building with 5 different entrances on multiple floors, either you close the entrances or you find a different building. Command Center is very bad for this.

For comparison, Odessa is a nice tactical urban fighting map. You have clear lanes of fire, you have strategically important positions for Maschine Guns, and a good mix of long range/short range fire.

Danzig is just a run&gun map for the most part.

Upvote 0
Danzig is just a run&gun map for the most part.

Not every encounter, skirmish or battle was a "hunker down" fight for weeks in bunkers and trenches affair.

If you really feel Danzig is just a RnG map... do you play it anymore? If not, others will and do. Danzig is a great map... bunches of fun for everyone who plays Danzig. Choices.... its all about choices. I choose to play Danzig because I enjoy the map. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not every encounter, skirmish or battle was a "hunker down" fight for weeks in bunkers and trenches affair.

If you really feel Danzig is just a RnG map... do you play it anymore?

No, but I feel confident to say that a fight for a city never came down to who can run and strafe-hipshoot better. It's insane that a well set defense unit of two or three people can be strafe-run-gunned by a single enemy with a 72 round drum mag just because the tactical positions haven't been correctly fortified.

I tend to avoid Danzig, but many servers run it so it remains a stain of RnG dirt between tactically interesting maps. I don't know if you played the mod version - it was exciting too, but didn't play out all RnG. Why the new one was made like that is beyond me.

Upvote 0
No, but I feel confident to say that a fight for a city never came down to who can run and strafe-hipshoot better. It's insane that a well set defense unit of two or three people can be strafe-run-gunned by a single enemy with a 72 round drum mag just because the tactical positions haven't been correctly fortified.

I tend to avoid Danzig, but many servers run it so it remains a stain of RnG dirt between tactically interesting maps. I don't know if you played the mod version - it was exciting too, but didn't play out all RnG. Why the new one was made like that is beyond me.

A fight for a city is what they now call urban warfare. Yes indeed, the fight for a city is either a dash from building to building with frantic fighting every step of the way or a siege. Which of course, is what I expect you are alluding to. If it were a siege, I believe it would be one of those cities that actually were under siege.

There are two sides to that coin... the flip side is it appears that the majority of players want Danzig the way it is and enjoy it. The edge of the coin tells it all... you can play it or not, the choice is yours. As you have stated, you tend to avoid Danzig, I'd say that is a good choice. But to bad-mouth the map and the players who enjoy it is disrespectful. Danzig is a map that a very large percentage of RO players seem to enjoy.

Personally, I enjoy Danzig.. ask anyone, I'm an avid Tanker and still enjoy the daylights out of Danzig.

Upvote 0
But to bad-mouth the map and the players who enjoy it is disrespectful. Danzig is a map that a very large percentage of RO players seem to enjoy.

You haven't heard me "badmouthing" anything yet, if you think that's what I did. If I was "badmouthing" something, be sure you would know afterwards.

The heart of my argument was that even in a normal urban fight (not a city under siege) important points like a "Command Center" would be fortified houses, not open spaces with possible entry from four different directions. That makes no sense in a tactical way, all it would need (in real life) are a few sandbags to close those extra doors against sneaky intrudders who will shoot you in the back while you're busy guarding the other 3 openings.

Bottom line for me is that Danzig is at the heart of a new emerging gameplay trend in RO, which is a lot about running and gunning full-auto, and not a whole lot about tactics. And the map design seems to encourage this.

A tactical game (or map) would reward those players who have a good tactical setup, who use ironsights etc. A map that rewards players with the best "twitch reflexes" is not my idea of a tactical shooter, and it's not a realistic military setup.

Sadly the later kind of maps seems to become more common these days. Perhabs in the next free content update we can finally get crosshairs.

Upvote 0
You haven't heard me "badmouthing" anything yet, if you think that's what I did. If I was "badmouthing" something, be sure you would know afterwards.

The heart of my argument was that even in a normal urban fight (not a city under siege) important points like a "Command Center" would be fortified houses, not open spaces with possible entry from four different directions. That makes no sense in a tactical way, all it would need (in real life) are a few sandbags to close those extra doors against sneaky intrudders who will shoot you in the back while you're busy guarding the other 3 openings.

Bottom line for me is that Danzig is at the heart of a new emerging gameplay trend in RO, which is a lot about running and gunning full-auto, and not a whole lot about tactics. And the map design seems to encourage this.

A tactical game (or map) would reward those players who have a good tactical setup, who use ironsights etc. A map that rewards players with the best "twitch reflexes" is not my idea of a tactical shooter, and it's not a realistic military setup.

Sadly the later kind of maps seems to become more common these days. Perhabs in the next free content update we can finally get crosshairs.

You do have a pretty good argument.
Realistically, the Command Center would have maybe 1 way in... or 2 ways in MAX...

But hey, in pubs, russians already have a hard time winning.
Even if this game is far more realism oriented compared to the next... It still remains a game (A damn good one too I might add)

Fun factor must be implemented to attract new gamers.

Block off 2 ways in the Command Center... and it will never get capped making danzig an unbalanced map no one will care about.

Realism servers can modify the map to their liking in the worst case senario.

And don't saying that the game is getting gamier with close quarters combat maps (lyes and danzig)
Its not getting gamier, and there will NEVER be crossairs... that will just piss everyone off and everyone knows it :p

Upvote 0
Danzig =
heartsign8ky.gif

Upvote 0
When you have a full 32 person match, and the Germans know what they are doing, Danzig is a slaughterfest of Russians. When a single well paced blind nade on the bridge can take out a wave of reinforcements by the time the Russians finally do cap East and West, their reinforcements are severely dwindled. A communicating German team can then set up defenses at each entrance to the CC and then notify their teamates when one entrance is breached.

When the server is less full the map is much more balanced as Russians don't have to worry about reinforcements so early and they can do a little more sneaking around.

That said, Danzig on a 32 person server is a blast, even as a Russian.

Upvote 0
The only people that say this isnt a tactical map are the ones that get slaughtered playing it. Hate to break it to everyone but... the spray and pray style of play is a tactic just as much as camping in a corner with iron sites up. I personaly use iron sites with the ppsh more often then not and it works very well for me but you cant expect people with full auto weapons to bring up iron sites 5 feet away from the target that surprised them around a corner.

Upvote 0

Izzat So??? Wait a moment while I try to become impressed. :eek:

Say it like it is; you are a camper... hahahahahahhahahahaha!!

That sir, is your opinion. We all know what they say about opinions. :)

What you need is a "Duck Blind Setup". You'll get your "rewards". :eek:

I hope we NEVER see crosshairs... but at the same time, I still enjoy myself to no end ....playing in Danzig.

Upvote 0

Correct. In reality the Germans would've blocked off one of the side entrances to the Command Center, most likely the cellar route, as an MG with a couple of rifles in support could easily hold off an attack via the tunnel.

As well, I think this map suffers from problems similar to Rakowice: the fewer the players, the more spread out people are, which turns the match into more a contest of who's the more sneaky team. At 28+ players, though, both these maps are very fun to play. It would be great to see Danzig played with 32 players to a side.

Upvote 0