• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Limited tanks/vehicles?

AKA

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
I don't think this has been discussed before, at least not recently.

I think it would be extremely easy to limit the number of tanks that could respawn on a map, and would add alot to the realism and gameplay.

Especially on combined arms maps, the PTRD would be alot more useful seeing as every tank would count so even doing minor damage on a tank would sway the tide of the battle, not just keep respawning and hopping in a tank no matter how many the team lose. It would also make tanks and anti tank troops much more important as, a side that has no tanks left will have to rely heavily on anti-tank troops to even the scores.

You could also alter the actual number of each different tank, allowing for more realistic battles.

I understand this could be a problem with team killing tanks and on maps such as Arad, but this could be left as a server option/mapper option.

There are custom maps that have this feature.
However, it has problems; you end up with tankers at the spawn with nothing to do.

A better idea, perhaps, would to be limit the amount of re-spawns you can have in the tank crew/commander class.

i.e. There are 10 tanker's re-spawns on map "X"
Tanker1 dies 4 times
Tanker2 dies 6 times
Now both players must select a different class to re-spawn again.

Using this methods instead of limiting tank re-spawns means there will be tanks with no drivers instead of drivers with no tanks. This is better because tanks don't get pissed off and confused if they have no drivers, but drivers do get pissed off and confused if there are no tanks. Also you don't get tankers being forced to go to war on foot.

This principle could also be applied to other classes such as MGs.

Some players may consider this unfair because if Tanker1 dies 9 times because he is crap then Tanker2 will only get one re-spawn. Another possible system gives individual players class re-spawn limits.

i.e. There are 5 tanker's re-spawns per player on map "X"
Tanker1 dies 5 times
Tanker2 dies 1 times
Now both Tanker1 must select a different class to re-spawn again.
Tanker2 still has 4 re-spawns left before he must change class.

This system would not work tho as if a new tanker joins the game he will have the full 5 re-spawns so there isn't really a limit to the amount of tanks that can potentially enter play.

Upvote 0
I think if you just made it so that when all tanks were lost you could no longer choose a tanker class.

If you choose to give tankers a special number of respawns it:

a) Disbalances normal troop reinforcements

b) is not realistic

I think just disabling tank class when all tanks are gone would be easier and would make more sense.

Upvote 0
As a mapper I don't have the option to limit the respawns of certain classes or disable classes after all tanks are lost unfortunately. :(

For my Leningrad map I've got 1 KV1s against 1 PzIII and 1 PzIVF1 per objective. So if you lose a tank another will not respawn until the objective is lost/captured. I think this works well for the map because movement is very limited along the street. This promotes teamwork between the infantry and tanks because if you can take out the enemy tank(s) while keeping your own alive your team will control the street.

For my second map (large combined arms map) I plan to have unlimited tanks but the heavy/valuable tanks limited per objective. It should be interesting to see if people work together more to protect their heavy tanks and to focus their fire on the enemies heavies as well.

Upvote 0
I don't think this has been discussed before, at least not recently.

I think it would be extremely easy to limit the number of tanks that could respawn on a map, and would add alot to the realism and gameplay.

Being done already

Especially on combined arms maps, the PTRD would be alot more useful seeing as every tank would count so even doing minor damage on a tank would sway the tide of the battle, not just keep respawning and hopping in a tank no matter how many the team lose. It would also make tanks and anti tank troops much more important as, a side that has no tanks left will have to rely heavily on anti-tank troops to even the scores.

Looking for some sort of an advantage?

You could also alter the actual number of each different tank, allowing for more realistic battles. I understand this could be a problem with team killing tanks and on maps such as Arad, but this could be left as a server option/mapper option.

First, you say it should be a mapper option, then you say it should be a server/Admin option... so obviously, you are seeing the problems with your suggestion. Team killing of Tanks and Spawn killing of Tanks is a real and genuine problem already. Team killing of vehicles is a rampant abuse.

Besides, any limiting, control, elimination or weakening of weapons or vehicles should be an optional choice for the Admin/Server.

Upvote 0
"First, you say it should be a mapper option, then you say it should be a server/Admin option... so obviously, you are seeing the problems with your suggestion"

Or maybe I want it so that mappers can choose to put what limits they want on tanks, from 1 spawn to infinite, and also allow servers to decide whether they want to limit tank spawns, for example, a public server may not want people to be able to TK all the tanks at the start, whereas if a server is running a clan match, it may want to allow more detailed play.

"Looking for some sort of an advantage?"

I have no idea why you are using the presumption that I need "an advantage". Am I asking for some magical rules that apply to me? No. I am merely suggesting an idea that may make for funner gameplay.

My comment on the effectiveness of the PTRD is that many players feel like disabling tanks is useless as tankers can just jump out. However, if it mattered how many tanks where destroyed, then it would make PTRD troops feel like they were playing more of a major role. I personally don't like playing on tank maps very often, although i think this suggestion may benefit the game, otherwise i wouldnt be suggesting it.

"Team killing of Tanks and Spawn killing of Tanks is a real and genuine problem already. Team killing of vehicles is a rampant abuse."

I don't believe this is the case.

I do not see why you are being so inflammatory, I do not understand what point you are trying to make, you criticise my suggestion, but you comment that it's already being done so why are you debating my suggestion and not complaining in a thread of your own creation.

Upvote 0