• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CS is realistic!

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
Anyone else experienced this?

I know quite a few people who play videogames, not many, but quite a few. One could call them hardcore gamers, definately not casual gamers. We regularly talk about the subject (gaming) and I usually mention that I prefer the more realistic side of gaming.

Guess what... most gamers have no clue what realism is. Today I showed pics of the upcoming mod Insurgency to a co-worker of mine, who's also a gamer. He said that INS is "a Counter-Strike clone". After I told him he was wrong, he asked me to explain the difference between the two, to which I replied that INS is actually realistic. I thought his comment was quite laughable: "Counter-Strike is realistic too, it's as realistic as it gets. That mod you're showing is just like CS."

And this came from a hardcore gamer, who really should know better than that. I tried to explain him that bunnyhopping, crosshairs etc isn't realistic at all, but to no avail. Appearantly the only ingredient a sim needs is a round-based spawn system. And this isn't the only guy I met who thinks that games like CoD, BF2, CS etc are epitomes of realistic gaming.

Anyone else noticed this?

When I first played Counter Strike, I thought "This is the most realistic game ever! Real life simulation!" My friend then tells me Counter Strike is very unrealistic, and after that, I played Red Orchestra, and thought, "Counter strike is very arcady and unrealistic".

From now on, anybody who says Counter Strike is realistic is a turkey. Back then, I was young and ignorant.

Upvote 0
I play CS:S for fun times, but...

I game with gun nuts, we all think that CS:S is about as anti-realistic as it gets:

- The AWP is BS... if it was a .50BMG rifle, it'd be right. .338 Lapua mag isn't that powerful (though still an ass-kicker), not to mention most AWPs are actually .308, which is exactly what the Scout is shooting.
- Pistol-caliber bullets vs body armor = bruises...
- Stupid, overly-huge blood splatters.
- Flashbang effective range is.. umm.. odd. It can get you around corners way too easily. Sonic effect seems to be tied to the visual.
- Grenades won't kill, even if someone stands on it: WTF?!
- SAW should OWN, hands-down. You ain't gonna be able to fight a 100-round mag of .223 coming continuously at you.
- Rifle + headshots = two hits to kill, WTF!?!

That's just a few.

(Dude, it's not just cons who won't move on. The libs are stuck on stuff like taking bribes and rights just as badly - both parties do it. Seriously, where the **** did that come from?)

Upvote 0
I like CS:S/CS and it certainly is more Realistic than DM, CTF, etc, but it is surely not Realistic in every sense of the word. About the only "Realistic" part of it are the Objectives and Teams trying to complete the Objectives. Once you start talking Weapons, Ballistics, Mobility, and other such things you enter the world of Unrealism.

Great game though.

Upvote 0
Counter Strike is a bunch of balony. Yes, its a very fun game, but it fails horribly at what it was made to do. Realism. The Devs say that Counter Strike is the most realistic tactical shooter. Bullcrap! In Counter Strike:
-A pistol is as accurate as a rifle
-When shooting a Sniper Rifle when walking, the bullet goes skyward or sideways, nowhere near the target.
-Terrorists target low profile areas that are worthless to them.
-A direct hit from a greande won't kill, it just hurts your ears.
-You can survive 2 headshots from a Shotgun medium range.
-A Machinegun is less accurate than an SMG.
-You can survive a point blank headshot from a 9mm Pistol without any helmet.
-A glock has burst fire mode
-An Asault Rifle has zero recoil.

Upvote 0
Ghetto fabulous is what CS: S is. I want my terrorist to have some sweet harlem chrome (duct tape :p) on his armor to match his pimp burst fire glock. Still fun for a wild quicky now and then, though :)

Counterstrike is what people are fed is 'realistic'. The people who say counterstrike is realistic have never fired a gun (probably never seen one in person), never been/known personally a soldier, never actually seen a police/SWAT/whatever the hell the 'Counter-Terrorist' team is supposed to be in action (it's typically a boatload of planning, and about a minute of action). They're generally the same type of people who thing that CSI is 'realistic'. The best thing you can do is chuckle at it and set about educating them. Don't try to change their tastes so much as keep them from sounding completely clueless about realism in games in the future :)

Upvote 0
I still remember lengthy flame wars where I was using the realism card to defend CS against Quake. Back then, it WAS as realistic as it got (well, except for Rogue Spear which it was so obviously based on) and all the Quake players were in denial.

Thing is, a few years later I was doing the same for DoD against CS. Then again for CoD against DoD. Right now, RO is up there, but I'm wondering which game's going to come along next and put it to shame?

But yeah, CS was only as realistic as it got about 7 years ago. Your friend's living in the past. Get him to actually play RO or Ins and he'll change his tune. Either that or he'll, in true fundamentalist fashion, flip it, claiming RO/Ins are unrealistic and unnecessarily complex. That one always makes me laugh.

Upvote 0
most people make the connection to " hey look my bullets make little puffs and theres nice looking effects and stuff goes boom really nice1!!" and thats realism for them. see most people think realism is GRAPHICAL!, theyr just to slow to realise it is made up more of gamplay then graphics. weapon damage is also one of those biggies in realism, i dont know why some people think games like bfv are realistic, .45 to the head at pointblank range = half dead, .357 magnum headshot pointblank = dead. wtf is that bull?!

Upvote 0
Anyone else experienced this?

I know quite a few people who play videogames, not many, but quite a few. One could call them hardcore gamers, definately not casual gamers. We regularly talk about the subject (gaming) and I usually mention that I prefer the more realistic side of gaming.

Guess what... most gamers have no clue what realism is. Today I showed pics of the upcoming mod Insurgency to a co-worker of mine, who's also a gamer. He said that INS is "a Counter-Strike clone". After I told him he was wrong, he asked me to explain the difference between the two, to which I replied that INS is actually realistic. I thought his comment was quite laughable: "Counter-Strike is realistic too, it's as realistic as it gets. That mod you're showing is just like CS."

And this came from a hardcore gamer, who really should know better than that. I tried to explain him that bunnyhopping, crosshairs etc isn't realistic at all, but to no avail. Appearantly the only ingredient a sim needs is a round-based spawn system. And this isn't the only guy I met who thinks that games like CoD, BF2, CS etc are epitomes of realistic gaming.

Anyone else noticed this?

Just because they aren't funny realistic doesen't mean they don't have some realistic aspects, CS's spawn system is one of those that's a bit more realistic than most games that are on the market at the moment, but the rest of the game is pretty arcady. (Which is also like most games on the market.)

Ghetto fabulous is what CS: S is. I want my terrorist to have some sweet harlem chrome (duct tape :p) on his armor to match his pimp burst fire glock. Still fun for a wild quicky now and then, though :)

Counterstrike is what people are fed is 'realistic'. The people who say counterstrike is realistic have never fired a gun (probably never seen one in person), never been/known personally a soldier, never actually seen a police/SWAT/whatever the hell the 'Counter-Terrorist' team is supposed to be in action (it's typically a boatload of planning, and about a minute of action). They're generally the same type of people who thing that CSI is 'realistic'. The best thing you can do is chuckle at it and set about educating them. Don't try to change their tastes so much as keep them from sounding completely clueless about realism in games in the future :)

Are you kidding me about the action part? Fire fights, etc. Last alot longer than just 'one minute of action'.

Upvote 0